Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Making ingame languages more prevalent?

Lakais

I miss the days when Vor spoke in Grineer. Yes, you couldn't understand him at first, but it added character not only to him, but to the world itself, it creates the feeling of "other" in them. He is Grineer and he speaks Grineer. But due to his position and tasks, he knows how to speak Orokin. However the G3 for example, should not know how to speak Orokin as they have no need for it. 

Basically, I wish DE would put some more oomph into the languages hear in the Origin system. Having high ranking Grineer or Corpus leaders speak to us in either heavily accented Orokin or simply using their own faction language would, in my opinion, give more personality to these characters and the factions they represent. In the Tennocon panel, the devs hinted, or at least mused over the possibility of old-style VO's making a comeback. Like the Corpus ship tiles, where over a speaker someone said "Respect the Railings, they are there for your protection". It's tactically useless information, but it adds flavor to the world itself. Grounds the place we're in to reality just the tiniest bit. 

Understandably, clarity is important. When characters are saying something mission critical, you don't have a second set of eyes to read the subtitles while you also fight your enemies. Solutions to this problem being pacing. During firefights the information they give is not critical, just flavor. And the important bits happen when the player has a moment to concentrate at the subtitles. Other option is to have a "Default language Y/N" option in the settings where the enemies will speak in clear default player language, but that would require almost twice as much voiceover lines per character. 

I don't know, this was a bit of a ramble but I hope I got my thought across. I wish DE would put a bit more effort into world-building outside of Lore missions and the flavor-text within those. But also create enemies that carry their faction's important part with them. Starting with making enemy languages a bit more of a thing again. 

Edited by Lakais

15 minutes ago, Dextral said:

I like English...
So no thanks ;) 

Fair enough. But if done right it would, in my opinion, add quite a bit to the atmosphere surrounding characters and factions. 

Edited by Lakais