Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Adjustments

KindCollusion

So I saw the last livestream and the prospect of this game being balanced and refined really gave me hope! For this reason I would like to post my thoughts on some weapon balances. 

Boltor: Reduce damage just slightly and increase max ammo.

Latron: Reduce damage slightly and reduce attack speed. Increase magazine size by 50% and decrease reload time by 50%. 

MK1 Braton: Increase a damage

Braton: Increase clip size, decrease damage. 

Lex: Increase attack speed and reload speed, decrease damage slightly

Viper/Twin Vipers: Increase clip size, increase recoil.

Despair/Kunai: Remove polarities, decrease magazine size, decrease attack speed slightly. 

Glaive: Allow the glave to pass through enemies it kills and hit those behind initial target. 

Amphis: Increase damage and charge damage significantly! Remove armor ignore. Add a polarity. 

Bo: Increase attack speed significantly. 

Please share your thoughts and mention anything you would like changed.

Most important question... why? Weapon balance is easy if all you do is homogenize weapons as much as possible; nothing is overpowered or underpowered if there is no real difference. But that also means that hardly anything is interesting. The trick for making the game balanced right now is not a bunch of preference based tweaks (that's honestly what your suggestions look like to me,) but to give weapon archetypes adjustments so that one damage type is not hands down statistically preferable to another, and that weapon strengths are more properly dragged down by shortcomings.

For example, making shock damage less exclusively effective against Corpus, whereas Fire, Ice and Armor Piercing are decently effective against most enemy types. Or adjusting melee weapons so that charge attacks aren't indisputably superior to normal attacks in terms of DPS. Or making the critical hit system less weapon-specific.

Most important question... why? Weapon balance is easy if all you do is &*$$genize weapons as much as possible; nothing is overpowered or underpowered if there is no real difference. But that also means that hardly anything is interesting. The trick for making the game balanced right now is not a bunch of preference based tweaks (that's honestly what your suggestions look like to me,) but to give weapon archetypes adjustments so that one damage type is not hands down statistically preferable to another, and that weapon strengths are more properly dragged down by shortcomings.

For example, making shock damage less exclusively effective against Corpus, whereas Fire, Ice and Armor Piercing are decently effective against most enemy types. Or adjusting melee weapons so that charge attacks aren't indisputably superior to normal attacks in terms of DPS. Or making the critical hit system less weapon-specific.

Thats okay but the problem is that some weapons right now are simply just overpowered/underpowered within their archetypes. If the weapons are continually unbalanced in this way we will see people only using a few of the weapons in each category. Correctly balanced weapons within each archetype allows us to see variety in weapon use. For example aren't you tired of seeing everyone use Kunai as their secondary? Also these changes aren't "preference based". The Bo is pretty much a useless weapon compared to other weapons on a statistical basis. When was the last time you saw someone using it? Global changes are fine but they can only do so much. 

Most of the weapons are fine though. The kunai are just strong due to high level enemy resistances that make their armor ignore a huge bonus. That's more of an issue of enemy design, than weapon balance. Most of your suggestions are terrible because they would ruin the point of those weapons and make them bad in usage. For example the whole point of the viper/twin vipers is to have a quick high burst weapon, the accuracy and damage output is balanced by the fact they just consume ammo at an enormous rate if used frequently. Your change would make them worthless in that regard because the recoil would reduced focused damage, and the added clip size wouldn't help because you can't effectively apply that damage in the first place.

You just posted a bunch of hackneyed balance suggestions with no rationale behind any of them. If you want to suggest changes to a weapon, describe why those changes are relevant or needed, don't post a bunch of "buff this, nerf this, keep this the same" statements - these mean absolutely nothing.

basically no to all of this...

So I saw the last livestream and the prospect of this game being balanced and refined really gave me hope! For this reason I would like to post my thoughts on some weapon balances. 

Why?? With ammo drum I start off with over 700 ammo. Why would you need more???

Latron: Reduce damage slightly and reduce attack speed. Increase magazine size by 50% and decrease reload time by 50%. 

Latron's specialty is high damage accurate shots. So just take that away for a couple extra bullets in the mag??

Again, you 45 clip size. Why would you need more?? And if you need more just use a mod

Increase clip size but make sure that the extra bullets miss the target??

Despair/Kunai: Remove polarities, decrease magazine size, decrease attack speed slightly. 

Glaive: Allow the glave to pass through enemies it kills and hit those behind initial target. 

Amphis: Increase damage and charge damage significantly! Remove armor ignore. Add a polarity. 

You can't take away the armor ignore of blunt weapon. Why use it at all???

i disagree with his despair/kunai suggestion, i think they just need their clip size reduced to 2 as they reload fast enough and do high damage per knife(considering you only hold 2 knives)

i agree with his glaive suggestion, if it splits some guy in half why does it ricochet off into the wall when it clearly would have physically punctured him?

Mk1:it just needs a polarity of each type as it is the noob gun it should also show you "oh if i match these symbols i don't have to use as much points" it will still be outclassed by everything else in late game in terms of dps and TTK

Lex: its a pocket sniper rifle, leave it as is, considering its' reload is as slow as snipers i think the reload speed needs to be faster

Amphis: i personally have never used the amphis but it seems to be a decent weapon from what i've seen of people using it, useful utility of killing osprey with a jump attack and stunning enemies that are stunned by electricity in general.

thats my two cents on some of the weapons your suggesting.

You just posted a bunch of hackneyed balance suggestions with no rationale behind any of them. If you want to suggest changes to a weapon, describe why those changes are relevant or needed, don't post a bunch of "buff this, nerf this, keep this the same" statements - these mean absolutely nothing.

This. It's better to address weapons a few at a time and discuss what exactly the weapon is supposed to do, why it's not doing it the way it should be, and what can be changed to get it working the right way. Or, in rare cases, why the weapon is unbalancable.

Boltor: No, it's damage is low enough, a heavily modded Braton would be a better choice. An increase would be better.

Latron: No, lowering the damage of a m14 like weapon is stupid.

Mk1: No, we have Braton

Braton: No decreasing of damage, it's perfect right now.

Lex: No change is needed, it's meant to be a sniping pistol.

Vipers: Slight increase in clip size is fine, recoil is already high enough. 

Kunai: Decrease clip size, one V polarity only.

Glaive: Good idea.

Amphis: No removal of ignore armor, all blunt weapons ignores armor. Increase damage.

Bo: Increase of charge damage would be nice. Increase of attack speed is not needed.

Edited by PachTrick

No to 100% of the suggestions here, do you even have these weapons or used them with good mods? 

These are the only things that should be on the list of thing that need changing,

Sniper rifles need to have their reload time cut in half and bows their charge time.

Kunai/despair needs to have a more aggressive arch requiring skill to use to use them at range. 

Lab weapons are not even remotely balanced and DE will fix them later as they said.

The resistance system needs to be reworked badly, the scaling in this game is what is causing the numerous issues and need to be addressed before weapon reworks should even be taken into consideration. All weapon balances problem stem from the weird resistance system and the game is currently broken because of it.

Please everyone stop asking for kunai to have 2 knives per clip it will just make them a crippled weapon because of the frame rate reloading glitch.

Edited by LazyKnight