Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Rework] Nullifiers

BrokenBullet

Hello, fellow Tenno!

Nullifiers seem to be a nuisance to the majority of our fellow players. And many players have made complaint threads and suggestions on how to change nullifiers. And I have a new way to make these enemies more interesting and less "annoying".

Bubbles to Pulses

The first change we need to make is the bubble that surrounds the Nullifier. Those bubbles need to be removed and should be replaced by pulses. Pulses are bursts of energy that can negate Warframe powers. As demonstrated in this gif:

J14E97H.gif

The pulse has the ability to nullify ACTIVE Warframe abilities (e.i. Vex Armor, Shatter Shield, etc). And when the pulse makes contact with you, it will knock you back (Excluding Atlas). Like so:

z7V7pDs.gif

But these pulses will always go off periodically, will take time to reach their maximum range, similar to Nova's Molecular Prime or Mag's Shield Polarize. And the pulse's maximum range should be the same size their current bubble.

Nullifier's Passives

The nullifier's current model can help with this and can use very minimal changes to the model itself. Current model:

Spoiler

BTDDEgK.png

Not signed in

The nullifier will also have passives to prevent them from being just a squishy unit. They will have a 95% damage reduction to all types of damages, and if you are within their radius, they have an aura that prevents you from casting an ability, but cannot deactivate your active ability unless hit by their pulse. And allies around the nullifier will gain a passive that makes them immune to Warframe Crowd Control (Nyx's Chaos)/ Damage (Mesa's Peacemaker)/ and Stagger/ Ragdoll abilities (Nezha's Divine Spears). And there is only one way to disable all of Nullifier's Passives/Abilities. You have to shoot their weak point!

Nullifier's Weakpoint

In order to disable all of the nullifier's powers is to shoot their weak point. And where is the weak point? The weak point is their packs on their back! As shown here in red highlights:

Spoiler

fcKF0is.png

Not signed in

Similar to Bursa's weakpoint (Rear), and Comba's weakpoint (Helmets). You have to shoot the pack on the back of the nullifier. This will permanently disable the nullifier's passives and abilities. And that means it is vulnerable to all types of damage, and you can kill them with ease. And if you are using only melee, you can block to reduce knockback and prevent knockdown from the nullifier's pulses, and that means you can still melee their packs(Will still disable your Active Warframe abilities)!

This change should make killing Nullifiers more strategic.

What do you guys think about this concept of reworking Nullifiers?

Thank you who read my post! Here is a cookie.

These are interesting and thought-out suggestions, but for as annoying as the Nullifier enemies are I feel like they're a necessary evil as they are because of how blisteringly easy it was to atomize entire swaths of the Corpus with powers before their introduction. If anything, I feel like the largest problem with Nullifier enemies right now is their volume, rather than the mechanics and strength of one Nullifier. A Nullifier by itself is hardly a threat. A Nullifier covering a platoon of troops and proxies is dangerous but manageable. Four Nullifiers covering each other and a platoon is where the enemy breaks out of the realm of manageable into ridiculous.

I've been saying it since the Combas and Scrambus enemies appeared: The need for Nullifiers to have their old spawn rate is gone. Combas and Scrambus do the job of harassing Tenno and annoying them just fine, and they can only take out one class of power apiece. They have no bullet stopping shield, they have a clear weak point and they were designed to inject variety into the Corpus enemy units. Why is it, then, that they are the rarest Corpus enemies? You might see one every 5 minutes or so in standard play, but you're more likely to see three or more Nullifiers occupying the same room. If their spawn rates were swapped, Nullifiers would be far less of an issue. Combas and Scrambus coming at you in small groups means they're more likely to cancel a power you need while still being simple to dispatch with smart play. Nullifiers just waste time and wear patience thin by coming in stacks.

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2016 at 1:37 PM, BlaineKodos said:

These are interesting and thought-out suggestions, but for as annoying as the Nullifier enemies are I feel like they're a necessary evil as they are because of how blisteringly easy it was to atomize entire swaths of the Corpus with powers before their introduction. If anything, I feel like the largest problem with Nullifier enemies right now is their volume, rather than the mechanics and strength of one Nullifier. A Nullifier by itself is hardly a threat. A Nullifier covering a platoon of troops and proxies is dangerous but manageable. Four Nullifiers covering each other and a platoon is where the enemy breaks out of the realm of manageable into ridiculous.

I've been saying it since the Combas and Scrambus enemies appeared: The need for Nullifiers to have their old spawn rate is gone. Combas and Scrambus do the job of harassing Tenno and annoying them just fine, and they can only take out one class of power apiece. They have no bullet stopping shield, they have a clear weak point and they were designed to inject variety into the Corpus enemy units. Why is it, then, that they are the rarest Corpus enemies? You might see one every 5 minutes or so in standard play, but you're more likely to see three or more Nullifiers occupying the same room. If their spawn rates were swapped, Nullifiers would be far less of an issue. Combas and Scrambus coming at you in small groups means they're more likely to cancel a power you need while still being simple to dispatch with smart play. Nullifiers just waste time and wear patience thin by coming in stacks.

I like this idea because it's an easier change than redesigning nullifiers from the bottom up. Or at least it would alleviate some pain while the redesigning is going on.

As redesigning goes though, I like OP's idea a lot.