Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Warframe Idea - Tenebris ( Please Read )

GeneralTeej

Hi, I started playing warframe a couple of weeks ago, and while I am extremely impressed by the unique gameplay and animations, I do feel there is a slight lack of warframe choices for players like me. I know that this game is still in the beta, and the suggestion that I am making is that making new warframes should be a major priority right now. I have come up with an idea for a new warframe, which will be highly suited to players of my style, as i feel there is not much choice.

Name: Tenebris (Latin for Darkness)

Theme: Darkness

Abilities:

Shadow Pool - Tenebris Lays down a pool of darkness around himself, which enemies cannot escape from. It deals 5/8/10/20 damage per second for 5/8/15/30 seconds. (not sure about the radius). Costs 25 power

Blackout - Tenebris causes complete darkness, in which only he, and his team-mates can see in for 5/8/12/20 seconds.  Costs 75 power

Opaque - Tenebris surrounds himself in a dark cloak for 5/8/12/15 seconds, which causes major confusion to enemies, and greatly lowers their accuracy due to them not knowing where you are. Costs 50 power

Midnight - Tenebris engulfs himself in darkness for 10/15/25/40 seconds, and all attacks used in this state will be darkness being thrown, which deals 50/100/200/400 damage (not sure if this will be OP but this can be varied). All damage caused to Tenebris in this state will be halved, and shield regenerates twice as fast. Costs 100 Power

This warframe will have low armor, due to its abilities being able to override this setback. It will also have a very high speed (the same as Loki)

Now this is a topic that I feel strongly about, and it will be greatly appreciated if I could have some relevant feedback and constructive criticism on this matter. Thank you all for reading, and if you agree with this topic, please press the green arrow :D

Edited by GeneralTeej

I love the abilities, but i dont think it should revolve around darkness. Maybe something a bit more sci-fi or down to earth? The names are great though, gah, im pretty torn about this idea. Great Names, Not so great element.

"Darkness" is not a good theme for a warframe.  It sounds like you're trying to create a dark mage in some fantasy rpg.  As for actual feedback:

Shadow Pool might be an ok skill if the focus in on CC and not damage.  Blackout sounds good.  Opaque is like a terrible version of invisibility where you rely on the RNG gods to protect you from bullets.  Midnight is an obviously OP skill, especially if you use it with the grakata.  

Blackout - Tenebris causes complete darkness, in which only he, and his team-mates can see in for 5/8/12/20 seconds.  Costs 75 power

Midnight - Tenebris engulfs himself in darkness for 10/15/25/40 seconds, and all attacks used in this state will be darkness being thrown, which deals 50/100/200/400 damage (not sure if this will be OP but this can be varied). All damage caused to Tenebris in this state will be halved, and shield regenerates twice as fast. Costs 100 Power

Not a fan of the theme, just doesn't seem to fit in the game.

Not sure how I feel about the time on Blackout, it just seems like another Chaos or a longer Radial Blind (which we really don't need).

Midnight however is just too much.

40 seconds is excessively long.

The damage would be fine if it didn't last so long (15 seconds max with that kind of damage).

The half damage and shield regen shouldn't both be there, one or the other imo.

Otherwise it sounds like a decent frame.

I'm seeing a lot of complaint about "this feels too fantasy-ish" and whatnot. I happen to agree in that sense, and I can't argue that it's a theme that is over-suggested, but this complaint is far from legitimate. After all, we've got Ember and Frost and Volt, which are all centered around classic "fantasy" elements. Straight out of every single RPG game with magic in it, ever.

But wait! Those can be explained in a sci-fi-esque way! Superheated chemical compounds! Liquid nitrogen! Fusion powered electrical charges!

Well, yeah. The same goes for Saryn and her poison damage. Why not apply the same type of "sci-fi" explanation/justification to 'darkness' themed frames? Dark matter is already a fairly accepted concept, even if we have no idea what it is yet, which gives plenty of room for creative license. As with pretty much everything fiction related right now, it's simply a matter of twisting the lore behind what is essentially just another generic damage, crowd-control or utility ability and its visual style to fit the theme of the game universe.

Just think about it. With the new Anti-matter Warframe coming out sometime, what else is left for the Sci-Fi theme? Monofilament wires? Missiles? I'd mention singularities, but Vauban pretty much has that covered with Vortex. It's time to face facts; we're already beginning to run out of aesthetic themes for Warframes that are purely science fiction based without producing too many similar designs. As with any game with a ton of characters, it is difficult to avoid things becoming too generic. There are only so many things you can do with magnetism, gravity, chemical reactions, and the like.

That being said, the original post of this thread still strikes me as not being well thought out in terms of balance. Half the abilities wouldn't integrate that well into game mechanics, and the rest of it looks like your average "its power should be directly proportional to how awesome I think it is" weapon/warframe/etc. suggestion.

Well the idea itself is pretty nice, but it need's some script change. Let's be honest, this idea won't become real, but maybe something like this will ever be created. But don't forget Tenno are good guys, so they gotta have only good guys right?

To me it seems like:

Blackout = Better Version of Radial Blind

Opaque = World on Fire Dark Style

Midnight = Loki's Invisibility / Ash's Smoke Screen

Moreover, I think the abilities lack diversity :3

But wait! Those can be explained in a sci-fi-esque way! Superheated chemical compounds! Liquid nitrogen! Fusion powered electrical charges!

Well, yeah. The same goes for Saryn and her poison damage. Why not apply the same type of "sci-fi" explanation/justification to 'darkness' themed frames? Dark matter is already a fairly accepted concept, even if we have no idea what it is yet, which gives plenty of room for creative license. As with pretty much everything fiction related right now, it's simply a matter of twisting the lore behind what is essentially just another generic damage, crowd-control or utility ability and its visual style to fit the theme of the game universe.

Just think about it. With the new Anti-matter Warframe coming out sometime, what else is left for the Sci-Fi theme? Monofilament wires? Missiles? I'd mention singularities, but Vauban pretty much has that covered with Vortex. It's time to face facts; we're already beginning to run out of aesthetic themes for Warframes that are purely science fiction based without producing too many similar designs. As with any game with a ton of characters, it is difficult to avoid things becoming too generic. There are only so many things you can do with magnetism, gravity, chemical reactions, and the like.

That being said, the original post of this thread still strikes me as not being well thought out in terms of balance. Half the abilities wouldn't integrate that well into game mechanics, and the rest of it looks like your average "its power should be directly proportional to how awesome I think it is" weapon/warframe/etc. suggestion.

It's easier to explain things like fire, ice, lightning and acid with technical jargon than it is darkness. I'm not arguing its not Space!Magic but at least those are physical matter or energy we can manipulate now and theoretically get better at in the future.

Dark Matter isn't so much "dark" as it is invisible and intangible. We can only detect it through gravitational lensing.

As for some Sci-fi "elemental themes"

Radiation - healing, death auras and laser spam

Nanotech - healing, creation (shields, minion), direct damage (grey goo dissemblers)

Warp - attacks using space/time fluctuations, teleport, banish enemies

Non-Euclidian space - reflect attacks, hamper enemies and summon eldritch abominations :P

I could probably think of more, but that would keep the devs busy for a year or so :P

In any case I think we can all agree that as presented by the OP it would be crazy overpowered and needs a lot of work to be made interesting.

Thank you for all the feedback from everyone. I definitely now have a better understanding of our wants and needs as warframe players, and you guys have widened my awareness in the art of character creation. As for this new character, I still do think it is a great idea, and although it may be a little OP in some people's opinion, it can definitely be altered due to this only being a draft.

I did intend to make this frame magic-orientated, to seperate this frame from the many frames that are suited to up, close and personal type fighters, and for those of you which said this does not fit into the sci-fi concept of the game, I feel that it could fit in just as well as Nyx does, with her psychic abilities.

Psionics may be psuedoscience at best, but it has a leg up over pure magic.

It could also be explained like this: Nyx Warframes have a cybernetic structure embedded in their neural architecture that converts Tenno thoughts into computer code, allowing the Nyx to mentally hack enemy equipment.

This is a good explanation because ALL the enemies are cybernetic, and a layman would describe mental control of others as psychic no matter what mechanism is in place. Clark's Law and all that jazz.