Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Concept Art Thread] Smuggler's Refuge | The Road to Completion

MissMarifire

8 hours ago, TheMetrocop said:

artrage really has a lack of good brushes and it frankly isn't fun to color with either.

paint.net is also bad due to it's barely basic tablet/drawing pad support, and only two brushes.

I would use photoshop cs2 but can't find a working link anywhere so I'm kinda screwed.

Adobe isn't distributing the CS2 suite anymore, that's kind of why. The free bit was actually intended for users who legally bought the suite.

4 hours ago, heskaroid said:

Try craptool SAI.

Gonna be honest, never liked SAI. While it's not the worst program to use, I never really found SAI easy to slip into. Technically speaking, SAI isn't free, rather it's demoware, because the official site itself has links for 31-day demo versions, but that hasn't stopped people on dA to share download links for the full version.

What I use, though, is MediBang Paint. I'm biased as hell for this program, I love it too much. It's free, it's comfy, it's cross-platform (and has some pretty solid Cloud saving to swap between platforms and collaborate with others), and it's used to make comics, but you can also ignore that bit if you want to, too. My only problem I've had so far is lagging my computer out when saving a really big canvas (that paint of Faus, for example, was one of them that had that problem), but it usually won't lag out for more than 10-15 seconds.

Though, I do suggest that you try to go and find other programs and try those out. There's a ton out there, I'm sure there'll be something out there for you. I've heard time and time again that Krita is a must-have, and other programs such as MyPaint or FireAlpaca may work well.

Edited by MissMarifire

On 8/6/2016 at 0:38 AM, Rhekemi said:

I think the longer coat works now, but also like the outfit with no coat.

Yeah, I do agree. I think I'll be keeping both of these designs, since it's always good to have an alternative.

My problem I'm currently having, however, is colours. His outfit used to be orange and grey, however in retrospect I don't believe that it would fit the character anymore. Not really sure how to colour his new outfits, though.

Once I finish up colouring them, though, I'll probably update the thread by then and decide on what I'm going to do with the new concept.

Edited by MissMarifire

38 minutes ago, heskaroid said:

That waist scares me.

Hide contents

I tried out MediBang and I gotta say it has some nice brush but linearting seems to be impossible IMO.

Well, the Tals have tiny waists. How else are they going to be the rich Corpus showoffs they are lmao.

Spoiler

Try turning on Correction. Your lines are gonna lag behind your cursor as you draw, making them much smoother. I set mine to 15-16 when I draw lineart, and 7-8 when I'm doing anything else.

Just now, MissMarifire said:

Well, the Tals have tiny waists. How else are they going to be the rich Corpus showoffs they are lmao.

Hide contents

Try turning on Correction. Your lines are gonna lag behind your cursor as you draw, making them much smoother. I set mine to 15-16 when I draw lineart, and 7-8 when I'm doing anything else.

Sorry if I sound stupid, but I've never heard of those "Tals".

Spoiler

Will do.

Speaking of colouring...

Spoiler

tumblr_obmb2j12Lo1ujyzt4o1_1280.png

I got around to colouring the painting of Faus with the respective colors of her outfit. There's also some minor edits as well, most prominently her face. I might update it a few times until I'm satisfied completely with it, though.

I've spent the better part of the last 5 minutes flipping between one window (with the uncolored picture of Faus), and another window (with the colored version).

I like her color scheme, but admit that I prefer her old face. She looked...happier? I can't honestly explain it, but trust your judgement as an artist.

8 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

I've spent the better part of the last 5 minutes flipping between one window (with the uncolored picture of Faus), and another window (with the colored version).

I like her color scheme, but admit that I prefer her old face. She looked...happier? I can't honestly explain it, but trust your judgement as an artist.

I am going to agree. Here's a side-by-side of the old paint, the current one, and an edit I've made:

Spoiler

YxplvBs.png

I think the problem with it definitely lies eyes, since the old one was more open, and her current ones make her look rather miffed actually. The edit, on the other hand, seems to look more relaxed. I'll keep tweaking it, though.

Yeah, more miffed in the new one. New-new one is somewhat ambivalent. 

What's her personality like? Rhetorical, I know you know. But I have to look it up again.

The cheeky wind player and singer of Nevdrus. She is filled with wanderlust, and will take on even the most dangerous adventures. As a friend she is, while provocative and reckless, very bouncy and high-energy. Faus has many connections to a large variety of people, one such being Darvo..

I don't know if that's worth showing in her profile or not.

I mean she doesn't have to smile all the time. I think it was more that it was a noticeable change / I liked the former. Had I only seen her new image, I wouldn't have commented.

If you're going for relaxed, the third pick is between relaxed and ambivalent, but it loses the hint of mischief. 

From left to right I see:

1) Mischief

2) Miffed 

3) Super-chill/ambivalent 

The first two also seem closer to the same ethnicity, while the third is further. 

Not sure what to make of this. Didn't mean to make you overthink it. Just observations.

Edited by Rhekemi

13 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

Yeah, more miffed in the new one. New-new one is somewhat ambivalent. 

What's her personality like? Rhetorical, I know you know. But I have to look it up again.

I don't know if that's worth showing in her profile or not.

I mean she doesn't have to smile all the time. I think it was more that it was a noticeable change / I liked the former. Had I only seen her new image, I wouldn't have commented.

If you're going for relaxed, the third pick is between relaxed and ambivalent, but it loses the hint of mischief. 

From left to right I see:

1) Mischief

2) Miffed 

3) Super-chill/ambivalent 

The first two also seem closer to the same ethnicity, while the third is further. 

Not sure what to make of this. Didn't mean to make you overthink it. Just observations.

The personalities of all the characters within the concept are going to be about the same. I do need to rewrite them again, however, since they kind of suck. Like that one.

Faus is somewhere along the line between promiscuous and mischievous. Whether she's merely poking fun at Jyoti's innocence, or slandering Grineer officials with interestingly worded stories about what some of them do with their friends in their off-time, Faus doesn't have a limit for who she messes with. She doesn't mean what she does to others, however she will occasionally have a hard time taking what others have to say seriously.

There does seem to be a noticeable change, yeah. I decided to take the first one and edit it onto the current paint, then tweaked it.

Spoiler

HreNn2I.png

And here's a comparison between all four:

Spoiler

NPzog98.png

And between the first and last one:

Spoiler

BJ4clxx.png

I'll be reediting a few more times since I'm not fully satisfied with it, but I won't have 7 Faus pics sitting side by side or anything.

4 hours ago, Bibliothekar said:

Her description sounds a bit like Nanny Ogg. Maybe it could show in her face more, yeah.

Spoiler

nankit.jpg

(Image by Paul Kidby, I think for Nanny Ogg's cookbook)

I find it kind of funny how accurate it actually is, though I'm sure Faus's voice doesn't have any, uh, side effects. Which actually does reminds me that I still have yet to read any of the Discworld novels and that I really need to.

This aside, I'm began on Jyoti's paint while I figure out how exactly I should color him, and also a test design sketch for Tullic:

Spoiler

tumblr_obo75vFjHC1r8w24zo1_1280.pngm2Qrcc0.png

Once I'm done with these two, I'll start working on Harktor.

Edited by MissMarifire