Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Concept Art Thread] Smuggler's Refuge | The Road to Completion

MissMarifire

19 minutes ago, Unus said:

Hehehe! All seemed like it would be an exciting introduction for me Mastodon mech, only to meet (thunder clap) ADONIS BODIED SUPER-MODEL-MUSCLE BOYS!

That there was going to be the third part of Operation Galerucella: storm the Tenno Relays with John Prodman's Buff Boys™ with the weaknesses discovered by Faustina Avos during her years of spying on the Tenno. The Board of Directors had speculated that the weakness of the Tenno was, among other things, shirtless muscular men, and as such employed the Men of Prod, aka John Prodman's cult following. Operation Galerucella would've been the second recent occurrence where several major Corpus cults would've participated in an act against an enemy faction, next to the Anyo Corporation's crusades of the independent Neptunian colonies.

Prodman insisted upon their invasion to be filmed for his upcoming new movie, Prodman's Awakening, but the Board of Directors said no.

Edited by MissMarifire

44 minutes ago, MissMarifire said:

That there was going to be the third part of Operation Galerucella: storm the Tenno Relays with John Prodman's Buff Boys™ with the weaknesses discovered by Faustina Avos during her years of spying on the Tenno. The Board of Directors had speculated that the weakness of the Tenno was, among other things, shirtless muscular men, and as such employed the Men of Prod, aka John Prodman's cult following. Operation Galerucella would've been the second recent occurrence where several major Corpus cults would've participated in an act against an enemy faction, next to the Anyo Corporation's crusades of the independent Neptunian colonies.

Prodman insisted upon their invasion to be filmed for his upcoming new movie, Prodman's Awakening, but the Board of Directors said no.

Nothing quite like svelte rippling bodies sweating through desert heat as they furiously hurl themselves at supersoldiers. The Tenno would likely be trapped in a sharp divide between interrogating them or (effeminate squeak followed by heavy sigh as nearby fem Tenno melts into Technocyte puddle).

Edited by Unus

On 3.6.2017. at 0:16 AM, MissMarifire said:

One of the things I've always been wanting to do is draw more art for my concepts. More specifically, I've been wanting to draw comics for them, because people love pretty pictures. Of course, I get sidetracked with farming, the new clan, serious art...

So these are left in goofy looking drafts.

I finished this godforsaken thing at 5 AM, so it's likely much of it'll be played around with later. I just wanted the ideas down at the time before I forgot about them.

Hide contents

sMGForl.png

Fun fact: I've actually had this guy for a super long time, he's the previous chairman of the Board of Directors. His name is Har Dul. He won't have involvement aside from this little comic for this concept, but he may for one of my other concepts.

Saw this on Tumblr. It's really cool, I would definitely like to see it finished once!

10 hours ago, Anavi_Ivy said:

Saw this on Tumblr. It's really cool, I would definitely like to see it finished once!

I'll be sure to finish it eventually, but I'd rather get the concept art finished first, since it's a bit more essential to the concept than a flavour/lore comic.

On the topic of concept art...

I've made a bit of progress; found a more simplistic way of drawing it up, so finished art for Arbis and Celsus is definitely something that'll be coming.

Spoiler

IZnsVDV.png

Zeribus doesn't have pants yet. His outfit's a work-in-progress.

I'm not even gonna lie; my interest for WARFRAME has died a bit. I'll still work on this and the Virtuous Stars and the like, but I've become in a position where other games (Starbound in particular, as I've started a major race project with a couple friends of mine that I expect may take somewhere between a month to half a year) have taken my interest a bit more than WARFRAME has. Perhaps that may change by the time Harrow arrives, but considering how much they've been bumping him back I don't think I'd expect myself to return to WARFRAME until mid-July. I expected something like this would eventually happen to me as it did with a lot of other games, but so's life. I won't truly be done with WARFRAME for good until at least The Noxus is completed.

On a different note: I've began designs for Arbis and Celsus.

RWHYn05.png

38 minutes ago, MissMarifire said:

I'm not even gonna lie; my interest for WARFRAME has died a bit. I'll still work on this and the Virtuous Stars and the like, but I've become in a position where other games (Starbound in particular, as I've started a major race project with a couple friends of mine that I expect may take somewhere between a month to half a year) have taken my interest a bit more than WARFRAME has. Perhaps that may change by the time Harrow arrives, but considering how much they've been bumping him back I don't think I'd expect myself to return to WARFRAME until mid-July. I expected something like this would eventually happen to me as it did with a lot of other games, but so's life. I won't truly be done with WARFRAME for good until at least The Noxus is completed.

RWHYn05.png

A shame to hear madam, I've noticed that the key to maintaining interest in any project is to have two projects at once in two different worlds and feeding off each to fuel the other.

I doubt that'll somehow change your mind, but, I guess the best I can say is that, as long as your still createing, I think I'll stick around for a spell. At least on Discord if I don't see you anywhere else around here.

On 2017. 06. 17. at 4:10 AM, MissMarifire said:

RWHYn05.png

I like these.

On 2017. 06. 17. at 4:49 AM, Unus said:

A shame to hear madam, I've noticed that the key to maintaining interest in any project is to have two projects at once in two different worlds and feeding off each to fuel the other.

I doubt that'll somehow change your mind, but, I guess the best I can say is that, as long as your still createing, I think I'll stick around for a spell. At least on Discord if I don't see you anywhere else around here.

Safe to say more than 2 project. I have ongoing 10-15 project to work on and playing warframe only for fun and using my headcanon which able to me to stay long in this game. Playing other games also helps to keep the interest I have multiple games and never staying in only one game at a time (rotation).

10 hours ago, Sziklamester said:

I like these.

Thank you.

10 hours ago, Sziklamester said:

Safe to say more than 2 project. I have ongoing 10-15 project to work on and playing warframe only for fun and using my headcanon which able to me to stay long in this game. Playing other games also helps to keep the interest I have multiple games and never staying in only one game at a time (rotation).

Maybe, maybe. Though, I don't think I can handle that many things going, especially as an artist who hasn't even finished this concept's art. Too many things to juggle at once for an idiot like myself.

I've considered trying Mass Effect as a lot of people seem to believe that the Noxus is inspired by it even if I've never touched one of the games in my entire life, but no cash money. Still, I'm sure there's games in my Steam library that I haven't tried out yet that I could give a go.

7 hours ago, MissMarifire said:

Thank you.

Maybe, maybe. Though, I don't think I can handle that many things going, especially as an artist who hasn't even finished this concept's art. Too many things to juggle at once for an idiot like myself.

I've considered trying Mass Effect as a lot of people seem to believe that the Noxus is inspired by it even if I've never touched one of the games in my entire life, but no cash money. Still, I'm sure there's games in my Steam library that I haven't tried out yet that I could give a go.

My go to go projects is the kohan2 modding, old games like zanzarah, evolva, then some drawing from various artists and self teaching to anatomy and making positions. I am using also blender, to make some 3d model this can be also warframe related but I haven't finished stuffs just steps saved and some beginning items. Making websites, using codes and teaching myself to coding then if I have still time after the job I play with 10-15 games in a month and rotate them. That helps me a lot not deep into in any game and my interest still up. 

If you can afford try the mass effect but the previous games and just after the andromeda. Andromeda is still growing but not a finished product. Also future games coming so you can give a try aswell you can try older games than warframe, there are a plenty which may pleases you.

Edit: Also I like how you put effort and be active in idea making and useful threads what you did recently. Hope you keep up the good work.

Edited by Sziklamester

• 5 weeks later...

Hoo boy. All this time that could've been spent on concepts... has been spent on a really self-indulgent piece instead. And college.

Warning, it's super huge.

Spoiler

7801ad5ef737388ca493491b03eb6b47-dbgzeoz

I'm kidding, I've made progress on the concept art. I've got concepts for Arbis, Celsus, and the Avosi Triad coming up, as well as stuff for Zeribus.

14 minutes ago, MissMarifire said:

Hoo boy. All this time that could've been spent on concepts... has been spent on a really self-indulgent piece instead. And college.

Warning, it's super huge.

Hide contents

7801ad5ef737388ca493491b03eb6b47-dbgzeoz

I'm kidding, I've made progress on the concept art. I've got concepts for Arbis, Celsus, and the Avosi Triad coming up, as well as stuff for Zeribus.

Geezus madam, forget whether it's self-indulgent or not, THAT looks like it belongs as the "Mission Pic" for your Sisters mission!

As an aside, glad I managed to catch ya before I snooze, was wondering if you'd mind takeing a peak at one of my overly massive projects. Through a set of mental gymnastics and random adjustments, I seem to have stumbled into something a few inches smaller (but by many means similar to) your Stars. Figured a veteran concepter's eyes would be better suited to eyeballing Barboga then my own. Is that untoward of me to ask?

On 7/20/2017 at 3:25 AM, Unus said:

Geezus madam, forget whether it's self-indulgent or not, THAT looks like it belongs as the "Mission Pic" for your Sisters mission!

As an aside, glad I managed to catch ya before I snooze, was wondering if you'd mind takeing a peak at one of my overly massive projects. Through a set of mental gymnastics and random adjustments, I seem to have stumbled into something a few inches smaller (but by many means similar to) your Stars. Figured a veteran concepter's eyes would be better suited to eyeballing Barboga then my own. Is that untoward of me to ask?

"Veteran Concepter" Unus, I'm 17. The only thing I'm veteran of is consistently having bad sleep schedules.

Jokes aside, DM me about it on Discord whenever you're not busy and I'll read it up.

1 hour ago, MissMarifire said:

"Veteran Concepter" Unus, I'm 17. The only thing I'm veteran of is consistently having bad sleep schedules.

Jokes aside, DM me about it on Discord whenever you're not busy and I'll read it up.

Then "Veteran Organizational Talent" then! You one-up me somehow, just something I can't quite put my finger on.

Will do madam! The sooner the paperwork lies still and stiff, the sooner I'll ship it to ya.

• 2 months later...
Spoiler

SrvIIpB.png

he duct taped the detrons onto his grakatas. dual twin grakatrons.

Dual Detron concept art.

Joking aside, most of the recent concept art isn't very finished. Most of them are currently in the form of rough sketches.

Ostron Band Leader (he doesn't have a name yet, likely won't until PoE):

Spoiler

DKdIlv8XcAA2uRZ.jpg:large

"A young Ostron man whose wanderlust lead him to the ends of the system, bringing the culture of his people with him."

Garok (Grineer bow):

Spoiler

bGiohG1.png

"When the Steel Meridian failed to supply the ex-Grineer colony of Roka with munitions, the colonists created this makeshift bow to defend themselves against the Grineer invasion. Its arrows contain a corrosive chemical, created by Dr. Ceg, to help break down the very armor it pierces through."

Ohmus and Templo (Corpus lance-and-shield):

Spoiler

SYBjlMv.png

"Wielded by some of the Avosi’s devotees, this lance-and-shield combo is traditionally utilized as their trademark means of defense."

Edited by MissMarifire

8ExlCxn.png

Basic formatting for character biographies. It's still in a very work-in-progress state, however I've thrown it together not for the sake of completeness, but for the sake of planning until I have a better idea of how I'll be going about it. Zeribus's design is also very rough and, now that I'm nearing the completion of a couple more paints I've been working on, it's pretty likely that the next thing I'll tackle will be concept art for the Noxus and the Europan Eidolon, another concept I've been working on/off recently.

I'm not exactly satisfied with it; being abysmal with graphic design, it's likely that I'll probably have to have a friend of mine take care of the actual layout instead of doing it myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

tumblr_oxecrcxzeB1wvqnsao1_1280.jpg

With Inktober around and whatnot, I've decided to... not actually do Inktober. Hands are way too shaky for that kind of thing, so my actual drawings end up very sketchy-looking.

What I have been doing, however, is a lot of traditional sketches. It's a primitive setup, I know, and my Note 3's camera helps none of that... but I've gotten more comfortable with sketching traditionally, so I've been doing that a lot more recently. 

On that note, here's some notes on Avosi unit types and the weapons they wield. It's getting bulky enough whereas I've been considering separating the Sisters of Avos into an entirely new concept.

Note that some weapons that are mentioned have yet to have their own designs or stats.

Spoiler

- Avosi Initiate: Able-bodied Corpus women who were recently inducted. Stripped of all their material wealth and identity, they perform the first of the many Avosi tests: Humility. Melee-based, they are found using weapons such as the Pumas (Corpus Claws), the Lecta, or the Ohma.

- Avosi Sister: A marvel of Corpus manpower… yet the average Avosi nun. They compete against one another over their devotion to the Void. Typically found using the Hexicor (Corpus Crossbow), the Ohmus (Corpus Polearm), or the Decatix (Corpus Rapier).

- Avosi Prioress: A seasoned Sister, they have long served the very Void they believe in. Using a masking system, they can cloak themselves in the Void’s veil, allowing them to strike their enemies unsuspected. Typically found using the Lenz, the Domus (Impact/Status-based Corpus throwing weapon) or the Helix (Corpus glaive).

- Avosi Abbess: The leader for one of the many subordinate houses among the Avosi. Clad in heavy steel, they are slow, but heavy-hitting and resistant against normal attacks. Their weaponry of choice is the Ohmus and Templo (Corpus Polearm/Shield)

There are several ranks omitted from the sketches, such as:

- Avosi Mender: An Avosi specialized in tending the wounded. While they themselves cannot efficiently defend themselves, they utilize a mending system that slowly regenerates the health of their fellow allies. However, should this mending system be destroyed, a Mender will not hesitate to make her last stand with the Ohmus.

- Avosi Duelist: A Sister trained in the art of close-quarter combat, they guide Initiates to the way of the Void. May use the Pumas or the Obex.

• 2 months later...

Life's gotten in the way quite a bit, but with Version 7.0 on the way (Aiming to have 7.0 release before the end of 2017), I've been toying around with the idea of visual dividers for the concept document. Nothing overly fancy quite yet (I've been taking reference from the loading logos for the Glast Gambit, Octavia's Anthem, Chains of Harrow and the Plains of Eidolon) but having general mockups would be useful for the time being.

Admittedly, I've been wanting to do something much more creative in light of the liberties taken with the logos that I've based the mockup Noxus logo on, but at the moment I'm not quite sure how I should approach it without taking too many liberties. My biggest concern is the Lotus symbol; while the others have edits done to it, its general shape is left unchanged.

Spoiler

7NCs1HY.png

Some mockups, featuring various fonts.

jaO9PAF.png

A small divider, using Grenadier NF.

• 2 weeks later...

TMYE2WB.png

PGNy3v1.png

Various sketches.

Top sketch is from a roleplay between a close friend of mine and I that involves a Void Ritual Chamber. Bottom is revised sketches of the Archmother and a base for various Archsisters. Note the large shoulder shawl on the Archmother.

Some lore notes I've made on it, as well as a potential Corpus ritual, taking place after the Tenno Awakening and prior to the events that take place during Smuggler's Refuge:

Spoiler

The Void Ritual Chamber is among the most important parts of a Corpus temple: so much so that all Corpus temples have one. Be it a humble hall or a sprawling room of gilded decadence, its use of Orokin technologies allow them to closely communicate with the Void. While more modest temples will allow their initiates inside, others may only allow the highest-ranking members to commune with the Void. The Avosi in particular perform the latter; the Archmother and Archsisters communicating with the Void, the Archsisters then informing lower ranking Avosi and so forth.

The Rite of Wealth is a sacred ritual performed by the two highest ranks of Avosi: the Archmother (left) and the Archsisters (right). Despite its name in conjunction with the Corpus’s ideologies, the Rite of Wealth is only performed during turbulent situations: in particular, it requests of the Void to grant the Avosi the ability to fight alongside their Corpus superiors in severe times of war. The “Rite of Wealth” means for them to preserve and regain their profits previously lost from blows from the enemy.

To perform the Rite of Wealth would mean that the Corpus have fallen into a dire situation: the Avosi, despite being one of the Corpus’s most powerful forces, answers to the Void and the Void alone. In the Corpus’s dark times, suffering deep financial wounds from both the Grineer and the Tenno alike, however, it has become a necessity for the Avosi to intervene and show the system the Corpus’s true hidden strength.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My new room decided to kick the bucket- literally, more water damage has caused it to flood.

On the bright side, new preliminary art! Albeit, all traditional...

New Arbis Ceg sketches

sa3bncQ.jpg

Doctor Ceg + Zeribus for scale

New_Doc_2018-01-22_1.jpg

Paratect

PnmE7Ss.jpg

Batterok, Bubonet, Harbaz, Mach, and Ruptus

q4rwxpD.jpg