The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Random crashes

ZappyEel

ever since specters of the rail: U1.1, my game randomly freezes, then crashes after about 10 seconds. This crash happens at random times, but it is guarenteed when i enter a relay. The strange thing about this is, that my steam also crashes, when this crash happens.

I have almost the exact same problem, the game has started to crash randomly on me (ever since the SotR update and subsequent hotfixes; it seems to happen more often in maps with confined spaces) and this *always* happens when entering a Relay after playing a few missions (ever since I started playing this game in October last year; I can only board a Relay if it's the first thing I do after starting the game).

I have experimented with all kinds of graphical settings (Dynamic Lighting, Bloom, Shadows being the most obvious, but I also tried changing resolution and playing in Windowed mode), and checked to see if some of the tips here on the forums helped (like deselecting DX10 and DX11 in the launcher), but to no avail...

Windows 10 32bit, 8GB, Sapphire Radeon 7770HD 1GB, latest Catalyst drivers (16.7.3).

Edited by imardv

5 hours ago, imardv said:

I have almost the exact same problem, the game has started to crash randomly on me (ever since the SotR update and subsequent hotfixes; it seems to happen more often in maps with confined spaces) and this *always* happens when entering a Relay after playing a few missions (ever since I started playing this game in October last year; I can only board a Relay if it's the first thing I do after starting the game).

I have experimented with all kinds of graphical settings (Dynamic Lighting, Bloom, Shadows being the most obvious, but I also tried changing resolution and playing in Windowed mode), and checked to see if some of the tips here on the forums helped (like deselecting DX10 and DX11 in the launcher), but to no avail...

Windows 10 32bit, 8GB, Sapphire Radeon 7770HD 1GB, latest Catalyst drivers (16.7.3).

If its 32 bit, that could be the reason. The game has some areas like the relays that load textures into video card memory and then don't unload that memory from video or move it to system memory instead. This builds up to crash after a while - with a 32 bit installation, this will take a few minutes - you can turn on your fps and memory display so you can get an idea when it happens - the when the memory display gets near or slightly over 900 you are going to have a driver crash due to memory overflow. Emblems and custom animations in the relays seem to be big culprits but it can even happen in the derelict, Uranus sea lab, or some void and few Earth Tile sets.

While it won't correct the issue, unchecking Direct x 10 and checking Direct x 11 will give a little bit more time. From around 8 minutes with Direct x 9 to up to around an hour with Direct x 11 if few players are active in the relay at the time. I have got the game to crash in 64 bit thanks to some other players helping out, but it takes longer so you can usually get in and out of the relay since the larger amount of system and video memory available due to operating system limitations not being as low as 32 bit OS options. I am not sure what would be the best option for reducing the video memory overflow in these situations, but since a 32 bit installation shouldn't be trying to grab more memory than the 32 bit memory limit of 3.5, Making it so the game doesn't try to grab more memory than allowed would help but the best thing as a user would be to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit OS as that would give you more time before the crashes.

4 hours ago, Urlan said:

If its 32 bit, that could be the reason. The game has some areas like the relays that load textures into video card memory and then don't unload that memory from video or move it to system memory instead. This builds up to crash after a while - with a 32 bit installation, this will take a few minutes - you can turn on your fps and memory display so you can get an idea when it happens - the when the memory display gets near or slightly over 900 you are going to have a driver crash due to memory overflow. Emblems and custom animations in the relays seem to be big culprits but it can even happen in the derelict, Uranus sea lab, or some void and few Earth Tile sets.

While it won't correct the issue, unchecking Direct x 10 and checking Direct x 11 will give a little bit more time. From around 8 minutes with Direct x 9 to up to around an hour with Direct x 11 if few players are active in the relay at the time. I have got the game to crash in 64 bit thanks to some other players helping out, but it takes longer so you can usually get in and out of the relay since the larger amount of system and video memory available due to operating system limitations not being as low as 32 bit OS options. I am not sure what would be the best option for reducing the video memory overflow in these situations, but since a 32 bit installation shouldn't be trying to grab more memory than the 32 bit memory limit of 3.5, Making it so the game doesn't try to grab more memory than allowed would help but the best thing as a user would be to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit OS as that would give you more time before the crashes.

Upgrade? Actually I want to downgrade because of the minimum requirements to play warframe as follows is 2 gigabyte ram. If that don't work then I am at a lost.

The minimum specs for Warframe are:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 or AMD Athlon x64 4000+ (~2.2Ghz dual core CPU)
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT or ATI Radeon HD 3600
DirectX: 9.0c
Hard Drive: 10 GB available space

For DirectX11:

Graphics: AMD 5000 series or Nvidia 400 series or higher

To use Nvidia APEX PhysX:

Nvidia Graphics Card with 1G of video RAM
Driver Version 310.90 or higher

Note: There is no Mac or Linux client currently available

Microsoft has two was of finding such memory leaks, but as for myself of using it is like trying to find a needle in a haystack cause of not knowing how to do it properly.

Using UMDH to Find a User-Mode Memory Leak

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560206(v=vs.85).aspx

Using Performance Monitor to Find a User-Mode Memory Leak

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560134(v=vs.85).aspx

Edited by Jakku

Oh, I feel you Jakku on the minimum specs type issue, but since his PC specs listed are much better than the minimum, I felt the easiest user related option would be an upgrade to 64 bit if available as it would use his superior system ram and make the relay take more time to fill up the video ram in direct x 11 mode checked on.

As far as it goes, I just figure the minimum specs haven't been updated in a bit. For example, the nvidia 640 GT can do Apex Physx but Warframe hasn't allowed it since after the archwing update and part of the issue I figure is the PBR along with more recent graphical improvements. To run the game at acceptable quality requires a little better specs than it used to but I do know the CPU can still run the game well enough if you have a decent GPU available - the game plays relatively well in such a situation oddly enough for some.

Edited by Urlan

Many thanks Urlan! As it happens, I was notified by my friends lately that I was the only one experiencing crashes *and* the only one on 32bit. I have started making backups of my system and will make the transition to 64bit soon. I will report back here to share my experience.

1 hour ago, imardv said:

Many thanks Urlan! As it happens, I was notified by my friends lately that I was the only one experiencing crashes *and* the only one on 32bit. I have started making backups of my system and will make the transition to 64bit soon. I will report back here to share my experience.

Sweet, hope it helps slow down the video memory overflow and allow you to play more normally.