Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Destiny DLC details!

TheErebus.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-rise-of-irons-new-social-space-weapons-and/1100-6442303/

So the upcoming Destiny expansion (Rise of Irons) has had some details released:

New area + Social space:

Spoiler

One of the more mysterious additions coming in Rise of Iron is the new social space, called Felwinter Peak. As Bungie has stated before, you'll have to complete a quest to take back the area from the expansion's new enemies, Fallen Devil Splicers. But when you do, you'll be greeted by a large social space with new vendors providing gear and bounties. In addition, the expansion's creative lead, Christopher Barrett, told Game Informer, "There are lots of secrets. There's this whole portion of Felwinter Peak that is normally locked, except during special events. There may be some secret ways to get back there."

Felwinter Peak is located near the Plaguelands, the new explorable zone that Bungie is adding to the game. As with every Destiny area, there'll be a bunch of things to do and discover in the Plaguelands. It sits near the Cosmodrome on Earth. You'll fight the Devil Splicers, which are mutated forms of the Fallen. As such, they fight with tweaked abilities and have different aesthetics. For example, mutated Vandals have a berserk ability which triggers when they're low on health.

You'll explore the Plaguelands and other parts of the game in the expansion's campaign, which tells a new story about the Iron Lords and Lord Saladin over five missions. It's not lengthy, apparently, but it will feature a bunch of cinematics exploring the background of the Iron Lords. And when you finish the campaign, you'll be greeted with numerous other missions and quests, similar to the structure of the campaign in the last expansion, The Taken King.

Cooperative area: 

Spoiler

Rise of Iron adds a new cooperative arena to the game, too. Archon's Forge has rounds that are shorter than Prison of Elders', but more robust than Court of Oryx's. It's accessible after completion of the campaign, and you trigger it like Court of Oryx. Bungie stresses the collaborative nature of this mode--it allows your Fireteam to work with other random players. Its rounds end in a boss that drops exclusive gear. To trigger it, you'll need SIVA offerings (the SIVA virus is what the Fallen used to mutate into Devil Splicers). These work similarly to the runes required for Court of Oryx.

New relic:

Spoiler

Gear and armor have been changed and upgraded, too. You might remember from Rise of Iron's announcement trailer that a Guardian was using a flaming axe. This is actually a Relic that you'll come across in the game. It recharges ammo when doing light attacks and uses ammo more quickly when doing heavy attacks. If you keep ammo above a certain level, it does double damage.

Artifacts:

Spoiler

In addition, artifacts actually matter now. There are eight new artifacts that give you actual abilities. The Memory of Radegast artifact, for example, adds an ability to swords that lets you deflect energy-based projectiles.

Light cap:

Spoiler

Not surprisingly, the Light cap has increased to 385, and the Light level of gear has been scaled to match. Thankfully, all the gear added in The Taken King or afterwards can be infused up to 385. The cap will be raised to 400, too, when the hard mode for Rise of Iron's raid is released a few weeks after launch.

Cosmetics:

Spoiler

Following the Chroma items that Bungie added earlier this year, Rise of Iron includes more cosmetic items that are currently referred to as Ornaments, although this name might change. These items do more than the Chroma items. They're basically different gear skins that you can apply to armor and weapons.

Design philosophy:

Spoiler

Bungie also spoke to Game Informer a bit on the design philosophy behind Rise of Iron and the studio's plans for the future. Talking about the new narrative focus in the expansion, live team director Jerry Hook said, "The thing a lot of players have been asking for is give us more of the story. Give us more of the background... What the heck is he doing in the Tower once a month? What's he doing with the rest of his time? Where are the Iron Lords? To me, those kinds of questions are fundamental."

CEO Pete Parsons explained, meanwhile, that Bungie's had to scramble to keep up with the popularity of the game and players' voracious appetites for new content. "A hard skill we've learned is how to be more nimble and agile," he stated. "I'd love to be able to publish what we're doing for Destiny for the next two years. I think internally that's a goal that we have. We were playing catch up so much on just figuring out what we had made and how we were going to support it, and what tweaks we needed to make. We're getting ourselves in a position where we can start doing that."

Also certain events like Sparrow racing will come back after the Rise of Iron launch. 

A new heavy melee weapon was shown for a moment. Appearntly, it's a Sycthe which am quite excited for. The Exotic heavy melee weapons were Grindy as f**k to get but damn they were worth it. Faviroute has to be the Bolt-Caster.

"The thing a lot of players have been asking for is give us more of the story. Give us more of the background... What the heck is he doing in the Tower once a month? What's he doing with the rest of his time? Where are the Iron Lords? To me, those kinds of questions are fundamental."

Well, at least they're learning...

Edited by Ibro156

9 minutes ago, Ibro156 said:

A new heavy melee weapon was shown for a moment. Appearntly, it's a Sycthe which am quite excited for. The Exotic heavy melee weapons were Grundy as f**k to get but Danny they were worth it. Faviroute has to be the Bolt-Caster.

Mine is the Dreadfang (I think it's called that). It's so useful in PvP

Kind of rubs me the wrong way how people have to keep paying for expansions after buying a full priced game...Bloodborne delivered essentially a new game as an expansion, and it was free.

Huh. Then there's this talk of Destiny 2...

Dunno. I'm fine with having cosmetics be sold to players, and some tidbits but this, while nothing new, makes me sad.

1 minute ago, Evanescent said:

Kind of rubs me the wrong way how people have to keep paying for expansions after buying a full priced game...Bloodborne delivered essentially a new game as an expansion, and it was free.

Dunno. I'm fine with having cosmetics be sold to players, and some tidbits but this, while nothing new, makes me sad.

They are giving free game modes, events and occassionally major content. But DLC in Destiny tend to be the big ones.

They made Sparrow Racing event. I really enjoyed that. Even if I was getting rammed off the road.

Am even being a bit lazy to level up my characters.

5 minutes ago, Evanescent said:

Ummm what? Are you saying the Bloodborne DLC was free?
And expansions for fully priced games have been happening for years

Just now, TheErebus. said:

Ummm what? Are you saying the Bloodborne DLC was free?
And expansions for fully priced games have been happening for years

True, but I don't like this culture. It's essentially making you buy the game over and over again...

But it's not going to change, so I shut up and take it.

True, but I don't like this culture. It's essentially making you buy the game over and over again...

No it isn't, you're buying big content to a game. If they made it free, they'd lose more money than they'd gain for what they made. 

1 minute ago, TheErebus. said:

No it isn't, you're buying big content to a game. If they made it free, they'd lose more money than they'd gain for what they made. 

*Shrugs*

You can make that case only when the initial game is fully fleshed out and is chock full of content.

For example, say, Mass Effect. Dark souls.

Destiny? Not really... 

*Shrugs*

You can make that case only when the initial game is fully fleshed out and is chock full of content.

For example, say, Mass Effect. Dark souls.

Destiny? Not really... 

The parts that were cut out were the first two. House of Wolves and The Dark Below.

As for the other two, they were treated like The Old Hunters.

6 hours ago, Evanescent said:

I have to ask. What makes you say this?

2 hours ago, Ibro156 said:

I have to ask. What makes you say this?

Well, it comes from a bitterness from seeing developers split content that should by rights be in the full package to sell as DLC. See ME3 for example: huge chunk of vital lore locked behind premium day 1 Dlc. Wat.

Not to beat a dead horse here, as I've no gripe with Bungie, but Destiny promised a lot and then launched with threadbare stuffing. DLCs are supposed to be remedying that but seeing as customers have to purchase them, it makes me slightly miffed. You promised us this when we put down that $60 for the launch game, Bungie, not to buy in DLC. I don't know the current state of the game, so I won't comment on whether they have redeemed themselves or not. As I do not play it, I have no right to pass judgement in that matter.

On the other end of the spectrum, you have the Souls series. Beside having a fullfilling main game, their DLCs add to what was promised and delivered. Artorias the Abysswalker's DLC-mmmm. Yes. Yes. Old Hunter's expansion. Yes. 

Those are proper DLCs. Content added to keep me playing. Not content added that I should have had from the start but never got.

I've just noticed that I'm derailing the discussion here, so carry on and ignore me.Never meant to put a damper on your excitement! :) 

I am pumped and hype for this dlc. I love the dogs in this trailer. I am hoping they can be companions if so I am buying this. There is going to be so much they are going to do for this game. They had a bad start with lack of content first year. But they said they are now giving the players what the want more content. When Destiny 2 comes around the corner they will probably learn from the destiny 1 what was Good and what was bad. I still want more loot to farm not just weapons but other things that have to do with the destiny lore.

Just now, Dark_Solaris said:

I am pumped and hype for this dlc. I love the dogs in this trailer. I am hoping they can be companions if so I am buying this. There is going to be so much they are going to do for this game. They had a bad start with lack of content first year. But they said they are now giving the players what the want more content. When Destiny 2 comes around the corner they will probably learn from the destiny 1 what was Good and what was bad. I still want more loot to farm not just weapons but other things that have to do with the destiny lore.

In the Devstream, they said Dogs won't be a player companion