Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ash Bladestorm Rework Idea

(PSN)RenovaKunumaru

This idea is generally based off of which is not getting the love it deserves.

I just wanted to reiterate on how much I love this idea and what I envision for it.

Ash's Bladestorm allows him to summon his clones to fight as well as use his Exalted Daggers.
Exalted daggers use the same animations as exalted blades current animations but are performed through combos. Bladestorm is the stance. 

Main_antogonist suggested that Bladestorm gives Ash damage reduction. I agree. Here's what I think should be tweaked:

1. Ash gets damage reduction like Mesa, based on power strength.
  2. Ash casts 2 clones at a time. This action is performed by smokescreen. Ash can no longer use smokescreen to go invisible during bladestorm. 
  3. Ash's clones seek out nearby targets (based on power range of initial cast area) inflicting slash damage scaled with power strength and melee mods* for the duration of the clones (which is seperate from bladestorm). 
  4. Clones do not do finisher damage
  5. Each clone pair cast reduces Ash's damage reduction by 20%*, maximum of 6 clones. (Gotta keep it low for framerate).
  6. Ash himself with the exalted daggers still does finisher damage. 
  7. Final attack in a Bladestorm combos procs a finisher attack (so you can still proc arcane trickery).

*Not being able to go invisible with smokescreen during bladestorm is part of the cost you pay for damage reduction and clones however you can still cast teleport to close the gap between you and your foes.

• Power Range: Effects the Distance in which clone will travel from the initial cast radius to attack. Also effects teleport distance
  • Power Strength: Effects the Strength of Clones damage and Health as well as Ash's Exalted Daggers and Damage Reduction
  • Power Duration: Effects the Duration of Ash's Clones available time active as well as the drain on Exalted Daggers
  • Power Efficiency: Effects the Drain per Second on Exalted Daggers. 

Main_ was on to something here:

Something of this nature should serve the community on both sides. Ash gets to keep his cool animations and decimating power but cannot nuke the entire map.  He must be interactive in the fight or consider hiding in the shadows while his clones fight for him. The more Ash's clones fight for him, the more Ash opens himself up to damage. Also you wont have to worry about Ash's clones one shotting everything if they are no longer doing finisher damage. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

How this leads to build variation:

• He can chose to fight himself with no clones and use the exalted daggers, (given the damage reduction of the op). Spam melee? He does the exact same combo from blade storm where he hits an enemy from the front, proceeds to backstab them, then finishes then with the double slice from the front. Of course this would be without the zoomed in camera angle.
  • Ash can run a duration build for clones and invisibility. Of course you could use high range to have the clones go out and fight for you exposing yourself to more damage from less reduction. Or you could have a moderate range so you can summon clones to help you fight with while you fight.
  • Fatal teleport build would still be viable if you wanted instant kills without energy drain of a 4.

A few questions:

-So Ash becomes more vulnerable when he summon clones, but he can't become invisible while Bladestorm is active, therefore losing it's ONE defensive ability, how does that make sense?

-How does it prevent me from casting Smoke Scree THEN bladestorm, then turning off bladestorm when my invisbility wears off, recast it, then casting BS again and so on until I give up that cr*p and switch to another, less annoying, frame?

-If Smoke Screen no longer gives invisibility, what about Smoke Shadow?

-How does this ability work in Conclave without being utterly useless or absurdly broken?

-So  you can build a max effi, then hide to cast clones or go Valkyr Hysteria with superb damage reduction to maul everything. How is that interactive in an engaging non-mindless key-spam way exactly?

-If every combo opens the enemy for finisher attacks, what's the point of combos? Everyone would just mash E to kill stuff and call it a day, we have Hysteria and Exalted Blade for that.

-One of the strong points of Ash is that he can be built to wipe the floor with an enemy horde. What about that aspect of him?

-Another strong point of Ash is that he can be built as a stealth frame, does this rework expands on it?

-Final question: Would be Fun to play?

Edited by Nazrethim

Hidden blades does not count as exalted dagger. But I like the idea.

1 hour ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

Ash casts 2 clones at a time. This action is performed by smokescreen. Ash can no longer use smokescreen to go invisible during bladestorm. 

^ Please reiterate here, do you mean it uses the animation for smoke screen and plays a visual cast of smokescreen, without the cloak?

Ash's clones seek out nearby targets (based on power range of initial cast area) inflicting slash damage scaled with power strength and melee mods* for the duration of the clones (which is seperate from bladestorm).

^Nerf hammer inbound, seems this is overpowered at start since it scales with power strength and melee mods. But how does it effect the clones and do they benefit energy dagger?

Clones do not do finisher damage

^ What are the clones for?

Ash himself with the exalted daggers still does finisher damage.

^ Again, easy for higher levels.

Final attack in a Bladestorm combos procs a finisher attack (so you can still proc arcane trickery).

^ So you mentioned only ash does finisher damage but here, final attack in blade storm procs a finisher attack? Procs a finisher attack, how does that work?

Not able to go invisible with smokescreen during bladestorm is part of the cost you pay for damage reduction 

^ What if we want to go invisible?

He can chose to fight himself with no clones and use the exalted daggers, (given the damage reduction of the op). Spam melee? He does the exact same combo from blade storm where he hits an enemy from the front, proceeds to backstab them, then finishes then with the double slice from the front. Of course this would be without the zoomed in camera angle.

^ Without clones? Then he's not a ninja we all consider, and it's part of a ninja trait.

The more Ash's clones fight for him, the more Ash opens himself up to damage. Also you wont have to worry about Ash's clones one shotting everything if they are no longer doing finisher damage. 

^ Ash one shotting is considered here since covert lethality is useful here. Still not sure how ash opens himself up to damage (clarification needed).

• Fatal teleport build would still be viable if you wanted instant kills without energy drain of a 4.

^ Overpowered build already considered. (I like it)

Edited by (PS4)Deception_Pharo

56 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

-So Ash becomes more vulnerable when he summon clones, but he can't become invisible while Bladestorm is active, therefore losing it's ONE defensive ability, how does that make sense?

Ash gains defensive capability from damage reduction by power strength.

57 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

-How does it prevent me from casting Smoke Scree THEN bladestorm, then turning off bladestorm when my invisbility wears off, recast it, then casting BS again and so on until I give up that cr*p and switch to another, less annoying, frame?

I love the creativity here! Nothing prevents you from doing that. Should you want to build your Ash around that playstyle you are more than free to. I'm sure you understand that Ash's invisibility maxes out at about 22s with max mods so you'd of course be trading off other mods for that strategy to work effectively. 

1 hour ago, Nazrethim said:

-If Smoke Screen no longer gives invisibility, what about Smoke Shadow?

You cannot use this while bladestorm is active in the current nor in this scenario.

-So  you can build a max effi, then hide to cast clones or go Valkyr Hysteria with superb damage reduction to maul everything. How is that interactive in an engaging non-mindless key-spam way exactly?

Clones only fight enemies within the initial cast area based on range stat. The more clones you summon the more Ash becomes vulnerable as he loses 20% of damage reduction. 

Sneaky style:

So yes you can hide however if you're not close enough to enemies your shadows won't attack them. Of course maxing out your range offers a reduction to power strength from overextended which lowers the damage of the clones themselves. 

Beserker Style:

As for the Valkyr style of gameplay, having a strong power strength build for that massive hysteria style of gameplay comes with its own weaknesses as well. High drain cost for blade storm if you utilize too much power strength from blind rage. You are not immune to poison (toxin) just like Mesa who gets easily wrecked by it despite shatter shield because it doesn't affect it. 

You also don't benefit from lifestyle like Valkyr does.

-How does this ability work in Conclave without being utterly useless or absurdly broken?

Smoke cloud is positioned to designate that Ash's clone is lying in wait at that position. Ash doesn't do finisher damage himself of course in conclave. DE will have to scale that like they do with every conclave ability.

-If every combo opens the enemy for finisher attacks, what's the point of combos? Everyone would just mash E to kill stuff and call it a day, we have Hysteria and Exalted Blade for that.

That's the nature of exalted weapon combos. The combo mash E can be single target like the one I described in the OP, while performing a more advanced combo can offer a sort of AoE attack.

-One of the strong points of Ash is that he can be built to wipe the floor with an enemy horde. What about that aspect of him?

If Ash jumps into the fray of mobs, while bladestorm is active, he can cast smokescreen and summon clones. He as well as the clones then actively attack the enemies in the area as the clones attack enemies that enter their initial cast location. Smokescreen still has its 1 sec stun feature its always had off of its initial cast so no worries there.

Honestly if you wanted to, you could cast the clones and walk away, but since they don't do finisher damage they could very well not finish off the enemies depending on their level and the amount of power strength you have so it may be beneficial to stay and fight in some cases.

-Another strong point of Ash is that he can be built as a stealth frame, does this rework expands on it?

You still have the same stealth techniques Ash has always had with this rework idea in which you can go invisible (not while bladestorm is active) teleport and do the finisher while bladestorm is active. Shuriken still works. To expand on it you can hide in the shadows while your clone are up and about.

-Final question: Would be Fun to play?

You get to keep the immense damage of Ash, with single target activity. You get to keep the same animations without taking over the entire map. Sounds like what everyone wanted.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Deception_Pharo said:

Please reiterate here, do you mean it uses the animation for smoke screen and plays a visual cast of smokescreen, without the cloak?

Yes.

Nerf hammer inbound, seems this is overpowered at start since it scales with power strength and melee mods. But how does it effect the clones and do they benefit energy dagger?

I'm not 100% sure if it should scale with mods, be I don't want to count it off. Base Damage mods should effect the clones damage. I'm not sure what you mean by do they benefit energy dagger.

2 hours ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

Clones do not do finisher damage

Clones do damage. Doesn't have to be finisher damage to be effective. That stay at the position where they were cast for a duration patrolling it until they vanish.

^ Again, easy for higher levels.

That's for DE to scale back. Since Ash himself would have to go into battle for benefit from it and its single target, it shouldn't be too terrifying. DE will make adjustments accordingly.

Ash will still take damage, cant heal through life strike like valkyr, still vulnerable to poison which bypasses the damage reduction. He can still have his energy leeched, and massively adding to power strength to fortify high damage comes with its on costs in this build which I've attempted to describe in op and the previous post.

^ So you mentioned only ash does finisher damage but here, final attack in blade storm procs a finisher attack? Procs a finisher attack, how does that work?

If the initial attacks in the combo don't kill the enemy, the final attack in the combo opens up a finisher move. Much like how even though trinity's EV does finisher damage, but doesnt count as a finisher move.

^ What if we want to go invisible?

Turn off Bladestorm.

^ Without clones? Then he's not a ninja we all consider, and it's part of a ninja trait.

That's up to you. If you don't summon them you wont have them.

^ Ash one shotting is considered here since covert lethality is useful here. Still not sure how ash opens himself up to damage (clarification needed).

Ash loses 20% of damage reduction from each pair clones being summoned.

4 minutes ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

Ash gains defensive capability from damage reduction by power strength.

I love the creativity here! Nothing prevents you from doing that. Should you want to build your Ash around that playstyle you are more than free to. I'm sure you understand that Ash's invisibility maxes out at about 22s with max mods so you'd of course be trading off other mods for that strategy to work effectively. 

You cannot use this while bladestorm is active in the current nor in this scenario.

Clones only fight enemies within the initial cast area based on range stat. The more clones you summon the more Ash becomes vulnerable as he loses 20% of damage reduction. 

Sneaky style:

So yes you can hide however if you're not close enough to enemies your shadows won't attack them. Of course maxing out your range offers a reduction to power strength from overextended which lowers the damage of the clones themselves. 

Beserker Style:

As for the Valkyr style of gameplay, having a strong power strength build for that massive hysteria style of gameplay comes with its own weaknesses as well. High drain cost for blade storm if you utilize too much power strength from blind rage. You are not immune to poison (toxin) just like Mesa who gets easily wrecked by it despite shatter shield because it doesn't affect it. 

You also don't benefit from lifestyle like Valkyr does.

Smoke cloud is positioned to designate that Ash's clone is lying in wait at that position. Ash doesn't do finisher damage himself of course in conclave. DE will have to scale that like they do with every conclave ability.

That's the nature of exalted weapon combos. The combo mash E can be single target like the one I described in the OP, while performing a more advanced combo can offer a sort of AoE attack.

If Ash jumps into the fray of mobs, while bladestorm is active, he can cast smokescreen and summon clones. He as well as the clones then actively attack the enemies in the area as the clones attack enemies that enter their initial cast location. Smokescreen still has its 1 sec stun feature its always had off of its initial cast so no worries there.

Honestly if you wanted to, you could cast the clones and walk away, but since they don't do finisher damage they could very well not finish off the enemies depending on their level and the amount of power strength you have so it may be beneficial to stay and fight in some cases.

You still have the same stealth techniques Ash has always had with this rework idea in which you can go invisible (not while bladestorm is active) teleport and do the finisher while bladestorm is active. Shuriken still works. To expand on it you can hide in the shadows while your clone are up and about.

You get to keep the immense damage of Ash, with single target activity. You get to keep the same animations without taking over the entire map. Sounds like what everyone wanted.

-Yeah, that was a badly done question. Good answer.

-Thing is, this actually encourages building for full efficiency and duration being a dump stat, same "issue" we have now.

-So casting the ultimate eliminates the use of another ability and kills the already scarce team support ash brings to the table.

-Shadows may not attack, but friendly AI are terrible for stealth because the a-holes always run face first and refuse to crouch and sneak past enemies.

-It says "90% Damage reduction". Since there's no detailed description of which damage type, one can assume is a 90% for any kind of damage, working both on shield and health, so toxin be damned.

-Okay, no Lifesteal, thats fair.

-I will assume the clones use melee attacks (since it's not specified). AI is very very sh*tty right now, that's why Nekros doesn't summon anything with SotD and why Loki's decoy is only successful due to it's almost broken RoF. It seems more like a very very useless, since all ultimates require 100 energy to cast and there's no Fleeting Expertise to make Smoke Screen cheap (unless you make it free, in which case Ash would just spam 2 to get as many clones as possible in a single location to swarm anyone who dares even aproach, which would also be broken as f*ck)

-Okay, at least combos will be useful.

-He summons 2 clones per cast, which means he would require at least 2 casts to make any sort of difference, losing the damage reduction while you are in the middle of a crowd of enemies doesn't look like a good idea.

-Stealth = Not being seen. As soon as your clones alert a single grunt the whole planet WILL know where you are, good luck clearing the mess your clones caused afterwards.

-Sounds like someone who hates Ash wants, the idea is to keep some efficient crowd-clearing without interfering with allies, as most complains about ash could be solved if the targets weren't invulnerable (even though only 4 targets at the time are invulnerable) and if Bladestorm could be at least interrupted (so you don't stay stabbing the same Disruptor over and over while your allies are being mag-struck into death and the cryopod is destroyed.

2 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

-So casting the ultimate eliminates the use of another ability and kills the already scarce team support ash brings to the table.

I'm assuming your referring to the smokescreen augment. Sorry, you can't even use that as it currently stands with bladestorm so I don't see how this negatively impacts the rework. 

6 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

-He summons 2 clones per cast, which means he would require at least 2 casts to make any sort of difference, losing the damage reduction while you are in the middle of a crowd of enemies doesn't look like a good idea.

All the enemies get stunned from the clone cast. You can fight or runaway after casting. Your choice.

10 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

-I will assume the clones use melee attacks (since it's not specified). AI is very very sh*tty right now, that's why Nekros doesn't summon anything with SotD and why Loki's decoy is only successful due to it's almost broken RoF. It seems more like a very very useless, since all ultimates require 100 energy to cast and there's no Fleeting Expertise to make Smoke Screen cheap (unless you make it free, in which case Ash would just spam 2 to get as many clones as possible in a single location to swarm anyone who dares even aproach, which would also be broken as f*ck)

Yes clones use melee attacks. spamming clones in a single position is a viable tactic that makes that area damning for any enemy that enters their radius however range must be taken into account, how much damage they do must be taken into account, and how long they will be active there must be taken into account. I haven't decided on the cost of clones while bladestorm is active yet, but Bladestorm is an drain move so I would consider something generous. Also, the more clones you summon, the less damage reduction Ash has.

14 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

-Sounds like someone who hates Ash wants, the idea is to keep some efficient crowd-clearing without interfering with allies, as most complains about ash could be solved if the targets weren't invulnerable (even though only 4 targets at the time are invulnerable) and if Bladestorm could be at least interrupted (so you don't stay stabbing the same Disruptor over and over while your allies are being mag-struck into death and the cryopod is destroyed.

I don't hate Ash. I spam his bladestorm for defense missions just like everyone else. I'm just offering another approach since he is broken.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

I'm assuming your referring to the smokescreen augment. Sorry, you can't even use that as it currently stands with bladestorm so I don't see how this negatively impacts the rework. 

All the enemies get stunned from the clone cast. You can fight or runaway after casting. Your choice.

Yes clones use melee attacks. spamming clones in a single position is a viable tactic that makes that area damning for any enemy that enters their radius however range must be taken into account, how much damage they do must be taken into account, and how long they will be active there must be taken into account. I haven't decided on the cost of clones while bladestorm is active yet, but Bladestorm is an drain move so I would consider something generous. Also, the more clones you summon, the less damage reduction Ash has.

I don't hate Ash. I spam his bladestorm for defense missions just like everyone else. I'm just offering another approach since he is broken.

-I have no objective comment to say on that, I just don't like losing an ability for having a channeled one active, let alone a team-support one.

-Unless it's a 5s stun, running away to avoid damage isn't a choice, fighting relies on rng smiling on you and making the mobs attack the clones (unless they have some form of taunt)

-Melee Players, with superb mobility, have trouble hitting other players and avoiding damage using advanced parkour, there's a reason every Atlas Conclave player uses the Rumbled Augment, the AI is very very bad in actual fights, the only reason to cast bladestorm would be for it's damage reduction, also, it removes Smoke Screen, which is almost useless in Conclave already.

-I love Ash, and rarely spam bladestorm, even in defense missions, I use his full ability set instead of bladespamming my way trough the solar system. Ash is not broken, EV and Fleeting Expertise are.

9 hours ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

not 100% sure if it should scale with mods, be I don't want to count it off. Base Damage mods should effect the clones damage. I'm not sure what you mean by do they benefit energy dagger.

If you have exalted dagger, which scales from melee mods, then It benefits from it.

Not having exalted dagger means it just a normal dagger or in this case, signature dagger for ash.

What I was saying is if you've had exhaled dagger then would your clones have them as well?

FYI, energy based weapon means, exalted weapons, e.g. Hysteria with claws, primal fury with Bo and EB for blade.

10 hours ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

Smoke cloud is positioned to designate that Ash's clone is lying in wait at that position. Ash doesn't do finisher damage himself of course in conclave. DE will have to scale that like they do with every conclave ability

^ Not to sound like a jerk but this doesn't give any explanation towards how it would balance towards conclave. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)Deception_Pharo said:

If you have exalted dagger, which scales from melee mods, then It benefits from it.

Not having exalted dagger means it just a normal dagger or in this case, signature dagger for ash.

What I was saying is if you've had exhaled dagger then would your clones have them as well?

FYI, energy based weapon means, exalted weapons, e.g. Hysteria with claws, primal fury with Bo and EB for blade.

^ Not to sound like a jerk but this doesn't give any explanation towards how it would balance towards conclave. 

No, the clones wouldn't have an exalted dagger. Their dagger would benefit purely from power strength stat.

Not certain what kind of response you're looking for with conclave balance but to be honest it's not my responsibility to balance that. That would be entirely DE on scaling the season to bring it to fair ground in terms of damage.

Edited by (PS4)RenovaKunumaru

54 minutes ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

That would be entirely DE on scaling the season to bring it to fair ground in terms of damage.

Damage is meaningless if the clones can't hit anything. That's the reason Rumblers are useless in Conclave. Melee Specters don't come even close to what a melee player can do to catch up.

Let me share with you this thread, I hope it proves useful to you:

Damage is meaningless if the clones can't hit anything. That's the reason Rumblers are useless in Conclave. Melee Specters don't come even close to what a melee player can do to catch up.

Let me share with you this thread, I hope it proves useful to you:

If the clones can't hit anything, it would be your own failure in summoning them to high trafficked locations or your opponent's skills in identifying that a clone lies in wait at a position. I've indicated that the clones would leave a form of smoke to indicate that they are waiting in that location in a previous post to you.

If the clones can't hit anything, it would be your own failure in summoning them to high trafficked locations or your opponent's skills in identifying that a clone lies in wait at a position. I've indicated that the clones would leave a form of smoke to indicate that they are waiting in that location in a previous post to you.

AI is very very sh*tty in Conclave. That's why ALL Atlas players use the Augment Rumbled (and because transforming into a golem is f*cking sweet). Conclave is not for standing still, is a high mobility enviroment. AI in warframe is r*tarded, so AI depending abilities are pointless in Conclave. The one exception is Loki's decoy, which is a gun firing turret, not a melee clone.

5 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

AI is very very sh*tty in Conclave. That's why ALL Atlas players use the Augment Rumbled (and because transforming into a golem is f*cking sweet). Conclave is not for standing still, is a high mobility enviroment. AI in warframe is r*tarded, so AI depending abilities are pointless in Conclave. The one exception is Loki's decoy, which is a gun firing turret, not a melee clone.

My vision for the move in conclave is that the AI hides in smoke and then performs one of Ash's current bladestorm animations once dealing slash damage. You don't have to worry about the AI being stupid, however you should be concerned with the placement of the AI clone.

Just now, (PS4)Deception_Pharo said:

You seem to be a Ash fanatic?

I am. But I'm just as harsh on anything. That's why I made that PSA-like thread. If we are going to post reworks, at least we should make detailed and well thought ones, after all, what's the point of a rework if it doesn't solve the problems the warframe in question had in the first place, or makes it even worse than it was. Don't you agree? :)

1 minute ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

My vision for the move in conclave is that the AI hides in smoke and then performs one of Ash's current bladestorm animations once dealing slash damage. You don't have to worry about the AI being stupid, however you should be concerned with the placement of the AI clone.

Now that's a detailed description. You should add it to the OP. :)

Edited by Nazrethim

18 hours ago, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

This idea is generally based off of which is not getting the love it deserves.

Hey man thanks for the shout out I appreciate it and I'm glad that you were able to draw inspiration from my idea! I like your concept too and I can see that you've put a lot of work into it and hopefully DE has a gander at our concepts and creates something awesome for us when they figure out what direction they want to go in with his rework :D

7 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

I am. But I'm just as harsh on anything. That's why I made that PSA-like thread. If we are going to post reworks, at least we should make detailed and well thought ones, after all, what's the point of a rework if it doesn't solve the problems the warframe in question had in the first place, or makes it even worse than it was. Don't you agree? :)

True point.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)Deception_Pharo said:

Soo many ash reworks, but only one will rule (hopefully).

The fans are divided. So far the most solid ideas are:

-Exalted Bladestorm

-World on Bladestorm

-Clone Conga Line

-Ash as a chain-smoker made of actual smoke

Just now, (PS4)RenovaKunumaru said:

Ok I will, thank you for the feedback. Sometimes it's difficult to convey all of the thoughts into words and criticism is needed.

That's why I'm harsh. Keep up the good work ^_^