Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Weapon type]-only sortie conditions are silly, replace them with Grineer/Corpus/Infested/Tenno-only

motorfirebox

The idea of a "mechanical disruptor" that can disable a Grinlock but not a Vulkar, or a Latron but not a Vectis, is just silly. It just doesn't make any sense—how in the Hek would such an item manage to differentiate like that?

What would make (more) sense is if the disruptors worked on different types of technology. So for instance, just about every Grineer weapon requires one or more Detonite Injectors. Just about every Corpus weapon requires a Fieldron. Just about every Infested weapon requires a Mutagen Mass, and just about every Tenno weapon requires a Forma. So why not use that as the basis for weapon type lockouts? You could still limit players to bringing only one weapon, it'd just be one weapon of a particular technology type rather than one weapon of a particular completely abstract class.

The only "mechanical disruptors" of the current type that I could see keeping are Bow Only and Melee Only, because those two are themselves seperate types of technology. Sniper Only, Shotgun Only—these make no sense at all, and I don't think that switching to technology differentiation will make sorties any easier.

you forgot pistol and rifle.  What this does is makes it so you have to have a variety of weapons to be able to do end game content.  After the first weapon type sortie showed up, that was the last time I did not have a weapon to meet the requirements even if it was a trash weapon to take.

As mentioned in other posts,  sorties are end game,  they are supposed to be a challenge and as of lately,  I feel they have been easier to finish than ever before.

1 minute ago, corporatePaladin said:

Oh no. Being asked to use other parts of your arsenal rather then the same 3 weapons? Shame on the devs for thinking of ways to mix up gameplay a bit.

Also I love the idea of Tenno only Sortie. Because nothing would ever happen. Endless, uncompletable mission. Id love to read the salt on that.

hehe i see what ya did there ;)

there is no tenno technology there is only orokin

1 minute ago, corporatePaladin said:

Also I love the idea of Tenno only Sortie. Because nothing would ever happen. Endless, uncompletable mission. Id love to read the salt on that.

I think he is referring to the weapons you can only get from the tenno lab in the dojo.

sorties in general need to have their conditions fixed, for one, the electromagnetic anomaly is absolute bull and definitely poses no challenge/fun

almost daily there is an energy reduction, they should rotate around and not repeat until all have appeared, finally, they need more conditions, actually creative ones, the ones we have feel rushed or poorly thought out, idk

anyway, i agree with OP +1

16 minutes ago, Hemmo67 said:

i don't understand why people want it changed or is it really that hard to put your simulors aside for couple of missions to use something u never bothered to master?

12 minutes ago, corporatePaladin said:

Oh no. Being asked to use other parts of your arsenal rather then the same 3 weapons? Shame on the devs for thinking of ways to mix up gameplay a bit.

Er... my proposal would require "putting down your simulors". And it would require using other parts of your arsenal than the same 3 weapons. So I'm not sure where that's coming from.

How is going from restricted to one type of a weapon for the sortie different than restricted to faction type weapons?  Other than factions will have multiple types in each class.  I could see adding that into the mix then if it was infested everyone would need to have something of those in there arsenal also.  But I would not take the weapon type out either.

Edited by NewbsRUs38

2 hours ago, NewbsRUs38 said:

How is going from restricted to one type of a weapon for the sortie different than restricted to faction type weapons?  Other than factions will have multiple types in each class.  I could see adding that into the mix then if it was infested everyone would need to have something of those in there arsenal also.  But I would not take the weapon type out either.

Because it makes absolutely no in-game sense to block all weapons except for sniper rifles or secondaries or shotguns. I have a hard time imagining how such a thing would even be possible—how would one make a mechanical disruptor that works on both the Hek and the Phage—a plain old shotgun, and a virus-laser made out of living flesh—but doesn't work on a whole bunch of weapons that are very similar to the Phage and/or the Hek? Why would there be a disruptor that blocks the Bronco but no the Boar? Who in their right minds would design such a thing? What common features do the Phage and the Hek and Boar share, but the Bronco lacks, that makes it possible to disable the shotguns but not the Bronco?

What would make sense is if, say, the Grineer decided to block all weapons except those based on Detonite Injectors. Because that way, the Corpus and the Infested would be SOL, and the Tenno would be prevented from using their favorite toys.

Edited by motorfirebox

You are trying to compare a energy beam weapon to a shotgun,  that are both main weapons, and off to a third type, pistol.  Right now there are Sniper, shotgun, rifle, pistol and melee restrictions, sometimes.  You are suggesting that the restrictions are to be just for the 4 factions,  I just dont see how the change would be better,  just a side step to something the same with a different name on it.

On 8/17/2016 at 0:05 AM, NewbsRUs38 said:

You are trying to compare a energy beam weapon to a shotgun,  that are both main weapons, and off to a third type, pistol.  Right now there are Sniper, shotgun, rifle, pistol and melee restrictions, sometimes.  You are suggesting that the restrictions are to be just for the 4 factions,  I just dont see how the change would be better,  just a side step to something the same with a different name on it.

Well, that's the point. The Phage is a shotgun, in the game. You can bring a Phage to a shotgun-only sortie. 

It would be better because it would make more in-game sense. A Phage and a Hek are completely different, right? Not just different damage types, but completely different technological paths. They have nothing in common. But in the game, there's apparently a device (the "mechanical disruptors") that thinks they're very much alike. That's just confusing and weird.

On 8/16/2016 at 7:00 PM, motorfirebox said:

Because it makes absolutely no in-game sense to block all weapons except for sniper rifles or secondaries or shotguns. I have a hard time imagining how such a thing would even be possible—how would one make a mechanical disruptor that works on both the Hek and the Phage—a plain old shotgun, and a virus-laser made out of living flesh—but doesn't work on a whole bunch of weapons that are very similar to the Phage and/or the Hek? Why would there be a disruptor that blocks the Bronco but no the Boar? Who in their right minds would design such a thing? What common features do the Phage and the Hek and Boar share, but the Bronco lacks, that makes it possible to disable the shotguns but not the Bronco?

What would make sense is if, say, the Grineer decided to block all weapons except those based on Detonite Injectors. Because that way, the Corpus and the Infested would be SOL, and the Tenno would be prevented from using their favorite toys.

It's amazing what accidental science can produce. Let's just leave it at that.

1 minute ago, Inarticulate said:

Both the Grineer and Corpus have their fair share of mad scientists. Who knows what kinds of weird things may have come into existence in their labs that cannot be explained?

"It's science fiction" is always a terrible excuse for bad writing, and claiming that the Hek and the Phage have more in common than the Hek and the Bronco is bad writing. Why leave it like that, when it can be fixed?

31 minutes ago, motorfirebox said:

"It's science fiction" is always a terrible excuse for bad writing, and claiming that the Hek and the Phage have more in common than the Hek and the Bronco is bad writing. Why leave it like that, when it can be fixed?

Humans didn't learn how gravity worked until the development of modern physics (and we still don't exactly know how it works), but we've known how it affects the world around us since ancient times.

Less abstractly, have you ever thought about how mods work from a realistic standpoint and not a necessary-gameplay-mechanic standpoint? Why some mods only work on some weapons and not weapons similar to them? Why can I equip a Grinlok with Serration, but not a Marelok? Perhaps these "mechanical disruptors" exploit whatever it is that determines mod compatibility and shuts these weapons down.

56 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

Humans didn't learn how gravity worked until the development of modern physics (and we still don't exactly know how it works), but we've known how it affects the world around us since ancient times.

Less abstractly, have you ever thought about how mods work from a realistic standpoint and not a necessary-gameplay-mechanic standpoint? Why some mods only work on some weapons and not weapons similar to them? Why can I equip a Grinlok with Serration, but not a Marelok? Perhaps these "mechanical disruptors" exploit whatever it is that determines mod compatibility and shuts these weapons down.

We don't have any information on mods, from an in-game standpoint. All we know is where they drop from and what they can be used for. So basing other in-game explanations on them is shaky at best.

Look, any oddity can be explained away through some torturous no-prize explanation. But why bother, when it's not necessary? Why not make the game world make more obvious sense?