Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Problem with the way Warframe applies textures

So I am designing a skin for a Weapon in Warframe, Its not at a state I am comfortable to show the general public yet so I will refrain from sharing to much info about it. The skin I am designing is for a weapon that the assets can't be downloaded from the Tennogen site yet so I acquired them a different way. I have seen other skins and model swaps for different weapons that aren't listed on the Tennogen site so I assume this is ok (example is all the Galatine skins/model swaps). So unless I am missing a place where we are allowed to download assets that isn't on the Tennogen help site then I assume others have acquired assets the same way as me. 

The problem I am having is a little hard to explain, if you have any prior knowledge you should see where the issue lies (I see where the issue is, I am just not sure how to fix it). My skin has lettering along the side of the weapon, on one side of the weapon the lettering is correct, on the other side the lettering is backwards. I would need the lettering to be mirrored on the other side so it reads properly. I am not sure how I would accomplish this, seeing how I am doing a skin and not a model swap, so I can't edit the UVs.

The lettering is in Grineer so I figured I would look at Gorgon's default skin to see how DE made the lettering not backwards on Gorgon's barrel...they didn't... it is backwards. Does that mean that the backwards lettering is acceptable on skins that are in Grineer? I figured I would ask here before I continued with backwards lettering. Especial because the symbol for the Grineer is also on my skin and it is obviously backwards were as the lettering might not be that noticeable if you didn't know how to read Grineer (like me).

Also another small question. What is DE's policy on Grineer wording on skins? I ask because I have the name of the skin printed along the side of the weapon in Grineer, but its a made up Grineer sounding word (because the name of the skin isn't something said by the Grineer in-game).

It's backwards cause the weapon you're working with has a mirrored uv. You need to acknowledge this before making something like lettering or too visible that will jump to the eye of the players. If DE did it anyway it's cause it's not a major problem but you should be careful to not make something more visible than that.

There's no way to fix it unless you make the model to have both sides mapped (instead of just one mirrored) but when you make that you're pretty much cutting the texture quality in half so it's a good practice to save space that way. Since you're making a skin and not a model swap there's nothing you can do so you shouldn't worry too much about it ;)

58 minutes ago, HitsuSan said:

It's backwards cause the weapon you're working with has a mirrored uv.

I am aware of where the problem originates from I was just curious if there was any fancy trick I was missing. Thanks for the reply, seeing how DE did the same thing on Gorgon and my lettering isn't large I will just ignore it and press onward.

1 hour ago, StopherSylvia said:

I am aware of where the problem originates from I was just curious if there was any fancy trick I was missing. Thanks for the reply, seeing how DE did the same thing on Gorgon and my lettering isn't large I will just ignore it and press onward.

Yeah, no fancy trick, the only solution is to change the uv ^^ Keep up the good work!