Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Aardvark Pets - Not such a bad idea after all!!

OTF4L

Aardvark Pets - Not such a bad idea after all!!

BACKGROUND:

There have been many jokes thrown around the warframe community about having an Aardvark companion/pet.  At first this seems like a really good joke but after researching Aardvarks they have some really interesting Lore and real life traits that would make for an in game companion that is both awesome and unique.

So first of all let me list the research and interesting traits i've found:

http://animalquestions.org/mammals/aardvarks/how-do-aardvarks-defend-themselves/
Aardvarks may not possess many teeth, however when it comes to defending themselves against predators they still have a few tricks up their sleeves.  The aardvark’s main predators are humans, lions, hyenas, pythons, and leopards.  Since aardvarks are burrowing animals, they can dig really fast.  This helps them hide from predators quickly when they are in danger.

These creatures also have very keen smell and a great sense of hearing which helps them easily detect when danger is nearby.  They are able to run in zig zags to escape from and confuse their enemies, but when all else fails they can be found striking predators with their spoon shaped claws, tail and shoulders.

The aardvark’s also have a rare characteristic of flipping onto their backs when it feels threatened and/or needs to escape danger, and this results in a type of somersault.  Another thing that helps aardvarks survive attacks from predators is their thick skin.                                                    

These creatures are sometimes underestimated by humans and other predators, when in fact they have front legs that are short and powerful for digging.  This enables them to excavate a termite mound in just a few minutes time.  Just imagine what they could do to a predator with those legs.  When attacked, these creatures can be quite fierce and will also slash and kick their legs and claws.  They are also able to stand on their back legs and tails in order to defend themselves from predators with their front feet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aardvark

Mythology and popular culture

"F-14 Tomcat from VF-114 Aardvarks with the squadron mascot painted on the tail
In African folklore, the aardvark is much admired because of its diligent quest for food and its fearless response to soldier ants. Hausa magicians make a charm from the heart, skin, forehead, and nails of the aardvark, which they then proceed to pound together with the root of a certain tree. Wrapped in a piece of skin and worn on the chest, the charm is said to give the owner the ability to pass through walls or roofs at night. The charm is said to be used by burglars and those seeking to visit young girls without their parents' permission.[28]"

Now lets talk about what I would suggest for such a pet/companion.

UNIQUE MODALITIES:

1 ) "Sticky Tongue" - Pet lashes out with long tongue and pulls all enemies and drops back to its    location
      - Not as strong as 'Vacuum" because it will only reach in one direction at a time and be linear based.  This can be further restricted by DE with how many times per second this ability is used.

1A ) WHY:  There is currently no companion with useful "Vacuum" type Ability except carrier.  Infact another way to implement this ability on an aardvark would be to simply make "Vacuum"  usable on an aardvark however when placed on an aardvark it works like I defined above instead of its normal functionality.

2 ) "SNEAK" - This ability would block all alert triggers for the pet and owner only.  IE:  the Warframe that has this pet equipped with the "SNEAK" mod equipped can not trigger any alerts on normal missions.  However this mod would have no effect on sorties or events.

2A ) WHY?  Why not?   This would surely be a unique addition to game that would not add imbalance to current mechanics.

3 ) "Ardvarlk Molar" ,"Incisor"....etc   (Each one a specific type of booster)  I would also like to see single drop booster type mods.  With an increased rate that is not overpowered but not so low that it is useless either.  IE: 1 for affinity, 1 for Credit, 1 for resource...etc

3A ) Why? As stated above in certain cultures the teeth of an aardvark is considered "Lucky" , By making each mod so specific DE could make it more difficult to have them all on same pet at same time.

4 ) "ANT-EYE VENOM" - Get it....lol    - This mod would give the pet and its master poison resistance buff for the duration of the mission.

4A )   WHY? One of the other qualities of Aardvarks is that they are immune to termite and soilder ant stings, so just sounds like a good fit.

5 ) "PLAY DEAD" -  As a last resort (When Aardvark is below 5% health" it flips up into the air and lands on its back, thus creating an aura that can be time based.  All party members in this aura and the Aardvark will be treated by NPC as if they are down.  However during this time the Aardvark and anyone in the aura will regenerate health or shields or both.  The effect will be canceled once the timer runs out or individually it will be cancelled by a player who shoots or moves outside of the aura.  

5 A)  WHY? THIS ONE IS KINDA OUT THERE BUT I WANTED TO INCLUDE IT ANYWAY CAUSE IT HAS PROSPECTIVE TO BE VERY UNIQUE AND FUN!!  According to research Aardvarks typically avoid confrontation, but are very ferocious when forced to defend themselves and as a last resort they flip into the air and play dead.

I would suggest that all of the other mods that currently "Common" to all pets are also common to Aardvark.

I would make Aardvarks Primary Damage SLASH

I would give them less health but more shields and armor - Aardvarks are known to have very thick skin.

ALSO the DNA could drop from 

Desert Skate

Edited by NovusNova
Removed "Megathread" tag