Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to Pretend to have Good Aim in Conclave: A Visual Guide

Zhandragon

Question

11 answers to this question

Interesting thoughts on aiming. It becomes more apparent what you are doing if you playback the video in slow motion.

I both visualize lines of the target's current vector + anticipate possible vectors changes. For example, an air dodge is basically a horizontal action with very little vertical component. Or a double jumper only goes straight up very predictably. Once you realize this. it becomes easier to quickly adjust to the opponent's movement.

Rather than circles, I like to trace lines through a target's center of mass as if cutting with a sword. Ideally, the direction of the cut is parallel to the target's vector.

Pre-aiming and leading are very important to me, even on hitscan weapons. I often let the opponent wander into my crosshair rather than play 'catch up' with the crosshair chasing the target. And of course, anticipate opponents coming around corners so that I already have a shot ready.

--

I have this idea that warframe pvp aiming has more in common with 3d space games than standard fps aiming. Most fps aiming is left/right movement, or aiming along a line. Aiming in 3 dimensions is aiming through an area or a square. It's an entire new dimension of difficulty for most players - a skill set mismatch.

Edited by Pythadragon

8 hours ago, Pythadragon said:

I have this idea that warframe pvp aiming has more in common with 3d space games than standard fps aiming. Most fps aiming is left/right movement, or aiming along a line. Aiming in 3 dimensions is aiming through an area or a square. It's an entire new dimension of difficulty for most players - a skill set mismatch.

Is this idea from a phasedragon video lol. Cause I recall an older video of his that approached almost if not identically the same subject 

Edited by (XB1)Lorewalker1022

If you guys pay close attention, you'll notice I have a strong preference for drawing clockwise circles. You should probably get comfortable with drawing both clockwise and counterclockwise, or you'll become dependent one one pattern like me.

12 hours ago, Pythadragon said:

Rather than circles, I like to trace lines through a target's center of mass as if cutting with a sword. Ideally, the direction of the cut is parallel to the target's vector.

I definitely also do this.

12 hours ago, Pythadragon said:

I have always felt like we were like dogfighting planes. The 3-d area thing is also why I draw circles- to cover an area.

3 hours ago, (XB1)Lorewalker1022 said:

Is this idea from a phasedragon video lol. Cause I recall an older video of his that approached almost if not identically the same subject 

This is a mad old idea, I was talking about this since a year ago here.

Edited by Zhandragon

39 minutes ago, Zhandragon said:

If you guys pay close attention, you'll notice I have a strong preference for drawing clockwise circles. You should probably get comfortable with drawing both clockwise and counterclockwise, or you'll become dependent one one pattern like me.

I definitely also do this.

I have always felt like we were like dogfighting planes. The 3-d area thing is also why I draw circles- to cover an area.

This is a mad old idea, I was talking about this since a year ago here.

The truth of it is there are too many [blank]dragons on PC lol. it's getting hard to keep track of. :P

3 minutes ago, (XB1)Lorewalker1022 said:

too many [blank]dragons on PC

Not sure if you knew or not but this is intentional. It began as a joke, since 3 of the well-known conclave players about a year ago all had dragon in the name.
We told Phaseshifted to change his name, and had a good laugh when he actually changed his name to Phasedragon. Soon we ended up encouraging every conclave regular we knew to do it.
Eventually most of them migrated into a conclave clan, Dragons of Teshin. Most of the people in it are named _____dragon.
Technically I'm one of them but I'm not in the same clan, since I was warlord of a large clan already and couldn't leave.

Edited by Zhandragon

1 minute ago, Zhandragon said:

Not sure if you knew or not but this is intentional. It began as a joke, since 3 of the well-known conclave players about a year ago all had dragon in the name.
Phaseshifted changed his name to Phasedragon to fit the theme, and soon we ended up encouraging every good conclave player to do it.
Eventually most of them migrated into a conclave clan, Dragons of Teshin. Most of the people in it are named _____dragon.
Technically I'm one of them but I'm not in the same clan, since I was warlord of a large clan already and couldn't leave.

Ahhhhhhh I see lol. Thanks for clarifying. I didn't know that beforehand. It makes more since now lol.