Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Best way to prepare for Raiding?

lemonpepperwet

Question

In my 2 or so years of Warframe (on and off), I have avoided doing raids like the plague. However, nearing MR15, I want something new to keep things fresh aside from mastery grinding. That being said, I don't exactly know what's meta for these raids, thus I feel like I would be a burden on a team in recruiting chat. In my time spent on this game, it has been mainly focused on acquiring as many mods as possible and throwing multiple forma across a great deal of weapons. 

Is there anything I should be aware of? I've tried watching videos on LoR, but I feel like the experience may vary. Any advice?

15 answers to this question

1. Read the wikia pages on the raid type ahead of time on how to complete them.
  2. Get a range of specialty frames (Like frost, Loki, or Vauban) ready, at max rank, with good builds.
  3. Get good weapons with good builds.
  4. Don't host raids if your connection is terrible, or if you live in Australia (because your connection will be terrible).
Edited by Insizer

It's mostly about crowd control and energy. Slow Nova, EV trin, Frost, and loki is the set up I like for a 4 man raid. If you've got more people,  Add in more crowd control (Nyx is really awesome), possible another trin, maybe a tank (chroma, rhino, etc

I made a video for the raid, the first part talks about the squad and why. I was using a 4 man squad, a bit easier with more, but this one went pretty smoothly

Honestly once you have crowd control down it's mostly about coordination after that. It's not about killing at all (unless you absolutely have to. Voice comunication makes it a lot easier. My clan is trying for a raid tonight around 7 or 8 MDT. Send me a message if you are interested in joining it. We've trained a lot of tenno to go through it. If you'd like to go with us tonight let me know! 

Spoiler

Edited by Mutt2679

LoR can be done with 4 people however most do it with 5. Generally will consist of 2 trinities (bless & ev), Vauban (if you Vauban please change your energy color to black otherwise it becomes hard to see), Slow nova and then generally a Loki or Volt to carry the bomb. Would say that's always the meta used to run LoR.

Best would be to run it as Vauban for your first time as you just generally spamming to keep people held up and you can't really screw that up. First part of the raid make sure you hack consoles as you run around spamming. It is a really easy raid. I am sure you will do fine :)

Oh also DO NOT kill the enemies. Just CC them

5 minutes ago, Insizer said:
  • Get a range of specialty frames (Like frost, Loki, or Vauban) ready, at max rank, with good builds.
  • Get good weapons with good builds.

Um, not to be picky, but this isn't great advice. A "good build" for LoR is often different than a "good build" anywhere else. The ideal thing to do is to go watch some videos. Good weapons literally do not matter at all for LoR, I make a point of always taking my MK-1 Braton and I do fine. For Jordas you want tankiness and a good weapon, and amesha. DO NOT TRY TO DO JORDAS WITHOUT AMESHA! Seriously, it makes it way easier.

There's also a raid school bus discord. They run trips to the raids and explain everything along the way. I hang out there pretty frequently, just to raid, and they're pretty good. They'll teach you what to do, and there's always people there wanting to raid.

Here's the address if you want to check it out: https://discordapp.com/invite/tpCpb

2 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

Um, not to be picky, but this isn't great advice. A "good build" for LoR is often different than a "good build" anywhere else. The ideal thing to do is to go watch some videos. Good weapons literally do not matter at all for LoR, I make a point of always taking my MK-1 Braton and I do fine. For Jordas you want tankiness and a good weapon, and amesha. DO NOT TRY TO DO JORDAS WITHOUT AMESHA! Seriously, it makes it way easier.

There's also a raid school bus discord. They run trips to the raids and explain everything along the way. I hang out there pretty frequently, just to raid, and they're pretty good. They'll teach you what to do, and there's always people there wanting to raid.

Here's the address if you want to check it out: https://discordapp.com/invite/tpCpb

1. The most helpful thing is to read ahead, regardless of whether you go on a raid bus or not. I don't see how that isn't great advice at all.
  2. As for the good build thing... Yes, good Raid builds are not necessarily good general game builds. I didn't say they were. Good Raid builds are normally focused on CC and such. I was a bit ambiguous and I apologize for that.
  3. I was trying to be fairly general as OP is completely new to Raid, and because I've seen a few players who make it a point to use off-meta chars in Raid and do it successfully.

1 minute ago, Insizer said:

The most helpful thing is to read ahead, regardless of whether you go on a raid bus or not. I don't see how that isn't great advice at all.

I you'll look at my comment, I only quoted your second and third points. I wasn't saying that this was bad advice. Of course he should read ahead. I was just saying that he can't really go look at his arsenal to make sure he's got good builds, because he won't know what constitutes a good build until he knows what will be expected of him. And he doesn't need good weapons for LoR.

However, reading the wiki won't be that helpful, because the complexity means that most people show up and say "I read about it, but I still have no idea what to do." Videos are more helpful, but at the end of the day the only way to really learn them is to do them, and having someone teach you helps enormously. That's why I posted the link to the discord: there are a lot of very experienced people there, who routinely teach people the raids for the first (or second or third or fourth) time.

4 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

I you'll look at my comment, I only quoted your second and third points. I wasn't saying that this was bad advice. Of course he should read ahead. I was just saying that he can't really go look at his arsenal to make sure he's got good builds, because he won't know what constitutes a good build until he knows what will be expected of him. And he doesn't need good weapons for LoR.

However, reading the wiki won't be that helpful, because the complexity means that most people show up and say "I read about it, but I still have no idea what to do." Videos are more helpful, but at the end of the day the only way to really learn them is to do them, and having someone teach you helps enormously. That's why I posted the link to the discord: there are a lot of very experienced people there, who routinely teach people the raids for the first (or second or third or fourth) time.

*sigh* once again not looking specifically at quotes to see if people are not just quoting my entire post bit me in the &#! again... 

As for the wiki... It might just be me then, i usually can pick it up after reading it a few times.

38 minutes ago, Mutt2679 said:

It's mostly about crowd control and energy. Slow Nova, EV trin, Frost, and loki is the set up I like for a 4 man raid. If you've got more people,  Add in more crowd control (Nyx is really awesome), possible another trin, maybe a tank (chroma, rhino, etc

I made a video for the raid, the first part talks about the squad and why. I was using a 4 man squad, a bit easier with more, but this one went pretty smoothly

Honestly once you have crowd control down it's mostly about coordination after that. It's not about killing at all (unless you absolutely have to. Voice comunication makes it a lot easier. My clan is trying for a raid tonight around 7 or 8 MDT. Send me a message if you are interested in joining it. We've trained a lot of tenno to go through it. If you'd like to go with us tonight let me know! 

Reveal hidden contents

+1

Because best way is practise with experienced group where u are only necessary in 2nd stage with pods. 

10 minutes ago, Insizer said:

*sigh* once again not looking specifically at quotes to see if people are not just quoting my entire post bit me in the &#! again...

Heh heh, don't worry about it. I probably sounded snarkier than I meant to, anyway. I'm not even sure what "snarky" means, but for some reason that word comes to mind when I read my own comment. :)

11 minutes ago, Insizer said:

As for the wiki... It might just be me then, i usually can pick it up after reading it a few times.

Yeah, it's different for different people, obviously. I've just seen enough new players (and helped them) to know that reading the article isn't very a reliable way to learn them for most people. Jordas, especially, needs to be run multiple times to have any hope of remembering what to do (in my experience). LoR is easier, but even then I wouldn't recommend relying on the article.

As far as having a good variety of frames, for LoR this actually is decent advice. Nyx, Rhino, and Vauban are all commonly asked-for frames (in LoR) that are easy to play as a first-time raider. Frames like Loki, Nova, volt, and trinity are also commonly taken, but I don't recommend those for your first time (for example, loki, nova and volt are all candidates for bomb-carrier, and I don't recommend doing that job on your first run). Build those frames for CC only, so range, duration, and possibly efficiency if you can fit it. Don't sacrifice range and duration for efficiency because there will be an EV trin. Use Primed Flow if possible. Vitality helps. People disagree, but I'm not a fan of repelling bastille on vauban, I'd prefer you to put more strength on there instead. If your repelling bastille triggers, you're doing it wrong (you need more bastilles).

Oh, and one last thing. Please, for the love of god, if you play vauban, USE A DARK ENERGY COLOR. Please.

1 hour ago, Mutt2679 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sounds good, I wouldn't mind tagging along! 

My advice is to get with an experienced crew. Doing raids with pugs can and will lead to disaster, plus a minor headache. Just be upfront and say this is your first raid and they will accommodate you. Listen to what the raid leader tells you, if he tells you to get on pads you get on pads, block with melee and don't move until told to. 

Watching videos is good to get a decent understanding but like most players if the crew is good everything will be over in a flash. It will probably take you a few runs to understand everything that needs to be done, which is fine. Most raids are CC lock downs with some utility warframes providing support, that means you don't need to be running around with 9 primed mods on your gear to compete.

I suggest you start off with LoR as its the easiest of the raids to complete. Like Azrael said, the raid bus is good place to get "your feet wet".

Edited by S0V3REiGN

10 minutes ago, S0V3REiGN said:

Like Azrael said, the raid bus is good place to get "your wet".

I know this was a typo but it's so hilarious I had to point it out.  :)

But you're absolutely right about PUG raiding. It's a bad idea even for vets! Too much headache for me, I'll just ask friends or go to the discord I posted.

Edited by Lord_Azrael

9 minutes ago, Lord_Azrael said:

I know this was a typo but it's so hilarious I had to point it out.  :)

But you're absolutely right about PUG raiding. It's a bad idea even for vets! Too much headache for me, I'll just ask friends or go to the discord I posted.

Oh damn, that left it a bit too open to interpretation. Lol! I need to learn to read proof my posts.