The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could channelling get a look?

(PSN)swamprat3

So the syndicate melees just came out so this seems like a good time to bring channelling up.

Channelling as a concept has a lot of potential to expand the usefulness of melee and make under powered and MR fodder melee weapons usefull in mid to late game but it has a few problems holding it back and thay are.

1) energy- the energy consumption rate with the "per hit" is wildly unpredictable and in my humble opinion the main reason most players avoid using channelling all together.

2) base mod selection- what i mean by base mods are cards that dont add any special affects (like life strike) the mods for channelling are either incomplete, under powered, and/or over priced for example the crit chance mod costs you energy but isnt even as good as its basic counter part so why use it?

3)all the channelling stats are the same- now to be fair there are a select few weapons that have different channelling stats but by and large every melee has channelling stats of 5 and 1.5x so theres no real choice 

4)to few ability cards- there aren't enough cards like life strike to make the system diverse enough to be interesting to enough players right now its life strike ore bust 

So those are the problems from gratest to smallist (if you can think of any others please post them) but stating problems without solutions is no more than complaining so i came up with a few ideas to fix them 

For the energy change it over to a "Per second" it works well on warframe powers so it should work here.

The base mods need to be finished theres only 2 efficiency cards and one of them is a duel stat electric damage card so if thay finish out that set with a fire,poison, and cold versions the efficiency problems would be solved then the only other thing to do would be buff the base stat increase cards to be equal or better yet grater than there regular counter parts (we are expending energy to use them after all) 

For the channelling stat problem DE has been changing the stats on a few of the new weapons to come out and thats a step in the right direction but thay still need to go back through and adjust the older weapons.

Now this is just my opinion and a suggestion but most of the best channelling weapons should be tenno made for lore because it just makes sense that the tenno would make weapons that only thay could make full use of and because in almost every melee class theres a tenno weapon that is completely out classed by another factions variant for example claws, sword and shield, hammers, ect.

The lack of power cards isnt a huge problem and should be tackled last because what good are sweet power cards if you cant use them because the basics arnt finished but this is the simplest fix add more channelling ability mods 

A final thought channelling isnt going away and it seem to be becoming the place DE looks at to put things in the melee system that doesn't fit anywhere else so why not make it good enough so corruption of your melee doesn't feel like a waste and channel blocking doesn't consume all your energy in a few seconds

Hello again everybody  kainosh had a wonderful idea that i would like to share with you thay suggested combining charged attacks and channelling so what i gathered from there post is if you have channelling mods on your melee and you charge attack with your gun out it would activate your channelling mods i think its a really good idea to give players quick access to channelling abilitys with out having to stop and pull out your melee weapon kudos to Kainosh for thinking it up

Edited by (PS4)swamprat3

1 hour ago, Nazrethim said:

To me the only change DE needs to do to make Channeling builds viable is to get rid of both negative and positive Channeling Efficiency from Mods, except maybe Corrupted Charge. If Life Strike needs to be nerfed to 10% for that change, then I'm in.

But just removing the channelling cost from mods wouldnt normalize the energy drain from certin categorys of weapons like whips and duel daggers any melee with grater range, AOE, or multi hits in there combos will be far more costly and thus less desirable unless the way energy is consumed is changed 

Just now, (PS4)swamprat3 said:

But just removing the channelling cost from mods wouldnt normalize the energy drain from certin categorys of weapons like whips and duel daggers any melee with grater range, AOE, or multi hits in there combos will be far more costly and thus less desirable unless the way energy is consumed is changed 

Well, DE could add a mod like Relentless Assault or allow RA to be usable in PvE (they have to make Conclave stances available in PvE too, so why not add that RA one too?)

3 hours ago, Nazrethim said:

Well, DE could add a mod like Relentless Assault or allow RA to be usable in PvE (they have to make Conclave stances available in PvE too, so why not add that RA one too?)

Mabe but in PVE theres already a lot of ways to regen energy and getting one more wont solve the energy problem that i mentioned with the "per hit" energy consumption certin weapons will eat all of your energy in a swing or two like if you use the Redeemers charge shot while channelling it counts every pellet as a hit mixed with its inate punch through using it while channelling most likely will consume 100 or more energy per shot same thing with whips there range gives the same affect and even from stance to stance the energy consumption rate is wildly diffrenet and unpredictable for what it is and no amount of energy regen (that wouldnt be completely game breaking) could make up for this and with all due respect a mod that gives energy on a kill in PVE would be exploitable as hell think about it no player would use that for channelling it would be used to spam ults so it would cause way more problems that it solves 

Edited by (PS4)swamprat3

There is no situation beyond the occasional 1 hit for Life Strike (which I only even use on non-melee frames if I don't feel like dropping a pad, and don't even run on weapons I actually use) and Quickening for Bladestorm that channeling that costs energy will be generally accepted as good or even viable. It could do literally 100x the damage of non-channeling and I would still never use it. Needs a complete overhaul or just removed like charge attacks IMO

2 hours ago, (PS4)swamprat3 said:

Mabe but in PVE theres already a lot of ways to regen energy and getting one more wont solve the energy problem that i mentioned with the "per hit" energy consumption certin weapons will eat all of your energy in a swing or two like if you use the Redeemers charge shot while channelling it counts every pellet as a hit mixed with its inate punch through using it while channelling most likely will consume 100 or more energy per shot same thing with whips there range gives the same affect and even from stance to stance the energy consumption rate is wildly diffrenet and unpredictable for what it is and no amount of energy regen (that wouldnt be completely game breaking) could make up for this and with all due respect a mod that gives energy on a kill in PVE would be exploitable as hell think about it no player would use that for channelling it would be used to spam ults so it would cause way more problems that it solves 

Well, that was just an idea.

Honestly DE just needs to return stamina (the bar is still there, just unused) and make channeling cost that. Separate energy from melee for good.

I would like Channeling to be fused with Charged attacks.

Basically channeling will be automatically used during charged attacks. And channeling mods will affect charged attacks. 

But charged attacks need a lot of improvements then....For example there is no Charged slam / slide / wall / finisher / air  attacks (these are needed to make it as flexible as channeling)

And this would free whole button that is used for channeling now.   Can use it for "quickshot" feature (firing guns with melee equipped)

6 hours ago, Kainosh said:

I would like Channeling to be fused with Charged attacks.

Basically channeling will be automatically used during charged attacks. And channeling mods will affect charged attacks

Thats a neat idea it would give player access to channelling abilitys with out having to stop and switch in to melee mode i like it.

I hope its ok but im gonna add this to the OP