The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Warframe extensively heats GPU

LordTechmarine

I've been monitoring my GPU temps for a while;

When playing Doom or Wolfenstein: TNO on maxed graphics settings (3440x1440 res), my max temp is on average 46 degrees C. Even just having Warframe open on the login screen easily gets it to 60 degrees C.

As a test, idle temps are 23 degrees C, after having Warframe open for 1 minute, it's already at 53 degrees and rising.

Gear; Gigabyte 980Ti G1 6GB, running latest drivers. Only started heat issues after The Silver Grove update.

It's not a problem as such, but it is a little bit concerning.

Cheers.

No problem, at all its just Warframe using 100% of your GPU, anyways wanna know how hot my GPU's get?

Alot more toasty then yours does and that are 2 970ties in SLI so yea they get hot and they are OCed so they get even more hot.

My max with summer time was 80 degrees on the hottest GPU and nowdays it is 70 degrees celcius. to note tho these GPU's are made to run on a max of 90 degrees for 24/7 I won't recommend it but it is perfectly fine.

To note your GPU runs fine and wolfenstein or doom are they with Vsync? and well did you enable vsync on warframe? If not set it to auto it will help prevent "Further toasting your GPU".

Chao, The Roaring Lion

8 hours ago, LordTechmarine said:

Gear; Gigabyte 980Ti G1 6GB, running latest drivers. Only started heat issues after The Silver Grove update.

Are you able to recall what your temperatures were like prior to The Silver Grove? For the sake of comparison.
Also this GPU should be more than capable of handling 50-60 degrees. Curious to know what your temperatures are like for games that do not run on the id Tech engine (Wolfenstein, Doom), such as an Unreal or even Frostbite game. You may find similar results to Warframe when it comes to GPU temperatures.

2 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

Are you able to recall what your temperatures were like prior to The Silver Grove? For the sake of comparison.
Also this GPU should be more than capable of handling 50-60 degrees. Curious to know what your temperatures are like for games that do not run on the id Tech engine (Wolfenstein, Doom), such as an Unreal or even Frostbite game. You may find similar results to Warframe when it comes to GPU temperatures.

Prior to TSG, I was getting 30, maybe 40 degrees at most (40 on something like high-wave ODD with crazy amounts of particles). I'm not really concerned about my GPU, rather than the game probably shouldn't be doing that to it in the first place.

It happily runs UT3/Unreal 4 Alpha below 40 degrees, Just Cause 3 at around 50, and Crysis 1-3 are below 45. Just thought it was a little concerning to go between 23 and 55ish in under a minute.

Cheers!

Just now, LordTechmarine said:

Prior to TSG, I was getting 30, maybe 40 degrees at most (40 on something like high-wave ODD with crazy amounts of particles). I'm not really concerned about my GPU, rather than the game probably shouldn't be doing that to it in the first place.

It happily runs UT3/Unreal 4 Alpha below 40 degrees, Just Cause 3 at around 50, and Crysis 1-3 are below 45. Just thought it was a little concerning to go between 23 and 55ish in under a minute.

Cheers!

As said before it is nothing to worry about  also question is is your Vsync on and are you on fullscreen or not?

Crysis and other games run perfectly fine with Vsync on that temperatures and as I remember they basically default their-selves to that.

Just to ask why did 60 degrees bother you in the first place?

Chao, The Roaring Lion

8 minutes ago, TheRoaringLion said:

As said before it is nothing to worry about  also question is is your Vsync on and are you on fullscreen or not?

Crysis and other games run perfectly fine with Vsync on that temperatures and as I remember they basically default their-selves to that.

Just to ask why did 60 degrees bother you in the first place?

Chao, The Roaring Lion

Doesn't seem to matter whether vsync is on or off, I tend to leave it off as I rarely get screen tear. Temps are usually around the same.

It really only bothers me as it wasn't doing that before TSG, just figured I should mention it here anyway.

I don't have the best airflow in my computer case but with the framerate unlocked, my GTX770 goes up to it's 80C temp limit pretty quickly when I'm on the Liset for a few minutes, causing quite annoying fan sound, but it lowers during gameplay to similar levels experienced in other games. FPS limiter set to 144 or lower fixes this, but I like to play unlocked. A Liset specific framelate limiter option would help in this case.