Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Utilizing Melee in Conjunction with Ranged Weapons

Witchydragon

Question

Majority of the use of melee I see in matches revolves around spamming combos to kill unsuspecting or immobile players, or as a secondary mobility boost (coptering). These days I very rarely see air melee being used to decent effect in matches due to it's lowered damage, which makes it inefficient in dealing damage (exception being the Venka, which has notably good damage on Air Melee). 

However, I have recently seen players (well, specifically one) use melee in conjunction with ranged weapons differently. 

With the Sword Alone mod, players gain increased mobility (+0.1, as much as Tactical Retreat, a max ranked Low Current Leap, Adept Surge, Rising Skill, Deft Tempo, etc, and increased sprint speed). This means that if you need to get somewhere but don't think you need to engage any players, equipping melee can let you get there quicker. Also note that both your primary and secondary weapon will automatically reload if you have the Reload while Holstered mods. Blocking can also be utilized if other players notice you, channel blocking greatly increases your blocked damage, and it is possible to block 100% of damage with Hammers, Shields, Great Blades, and other weapons. If there is a chart out there for this stuff please put it in a reply. 

Channeled blocking also deals damage back to the attacker. As you can see in the gif above, both me and Cicadeus were on dangerously low hp. While I continued to be aggressive and shoot at the player, Cicadeus swapped to their melee weapon, and channel blocked, reflecting my damage back at me, killing me. It's classic Star Wars! 

While it is not integral to winning games like basic aim and mobility usage is, I find this utilization of melee much more interesting than the oh-too-commonly-seen guy with a Jat Kittag running straight at you while blocking and spamming combos hoping to trash some unlucky noobs. 

I am not a 'master of melee', heck I haven't used melee since the Air Melee nerf and now. However I hope this sparks interest in other players to experiment more with both melee and ranged weapons to develop interesting playstyles.

As good as your aim is, who doesn't want to be a Jedi Knight every now and then? And even if you're successfully trashing noobs by just spamming E, why not throw some flavor into that at least? Also, I am going to use this subforum whether you like it or not!

4 answers to this question

Block reduces damage around 50% for most melee, with Hammers, Nikanas, Sword&Shield and some others reducing a bit more.

With Impenetrable Offense mod you can reach up to 95% damage reduction when you are at 100 energy.

Channel Block reflects damage and nullifies blocked damage (it doesn't work on Abilities)

Melee duels can get very interesting, specially on mirror matches where both players use the same weapon, dodging and attacking and counter attacking. Trying to hit the opponent without leaving yourself open to his/her attack.

Also, Cicadeus is a monster on the battlefield, it's always a good fight and worth a few laughs.