Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"Nintendo Switch" (NX) info thread

Dogefighter

So Nintendo just announced their newest console.  The console, which we've known as the "NX", is the Nintendo Switch.  The trailer shows some features and potential games:

The trailer showcases the controller, which can switch from stationary to mobile.  In stationary form, it sits on a dock while you play using a controller.  You can remove the Switch from its dock and slot controllers onto either side, making a system similar to a DS (with one screen, though).

The controllers themselves seem fairly versatile, too.  You can slot the control devices onto a block for stationary play, or slot them onto either side of the Switch for mobile play.  The trailer shows that you can take one side controller, and a friend can take another, allowing for on-the-go local multiplayer.  There's also a backstand, allowing you to prop the Switch up, remove the control devices, and use them without a block.  Lastly, we saw that there are normal controllers for the NX (normal meaning similar to PS or Xbox controllers).

As far as hardware goes, Nvidia has been working very closely with Nintendo on this project, which you can read about here:  https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/

The Switch will use a custom-designed, powerful Nvidia Tegra processor.  Nvidia and Nintendo put significant time into this, basically building a whole new system from the ground-up.  Nvidia reported (in the page linked above) that they put roughly 500 maniyears into this project (which is, as far as I know, insane).  To get an idea of how much time that is, I tried to convert that to man-hours, and google gave me scientific notation.

Now, it's unique and it appears to be pretty powerful.  But how powerful?  Powerful for a Nintendo console, or powerful as a whole?  Keeping on the edge of technology has always been an issue Nintendo has struggled with.  Speaking of issues, how will this work with third-party developers?  That's what eventually killed the Wii and Wii U, and, despite the power and unique design, Nintendo appears to be on track to release another "innovative" console that nobody can work with.

Nah, I'm just screwing with you.  The trailer showed it playing Skyrim Remastered (if you look at the lighting and texture details, you can easily tell it's not base-game), and here's a sample of a few confirmed NX partners:

nintendo_switch_partners.jpg

Boy howdy, that's a pretty significant sample.  Bethesda, EA, Capcom, Activision, Take-Two (who owns Rockstar), and more.

I'd wait until we see more of this to get excited, but it looks as if Nintendo is finally gonna accomplish what they set out to do, which was to design a unique and innovative console with third-party support and good graphics.

Information we DON'T have:
-Exact specs
-Price
-Exact release date (just says March 2017)

(*restrained hype*)

Edited by Dogefighter