Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mutalist Ospreys v. Vauban Abilities/ Why don't they work?

Dan-Glycerin

Question

Is it a bug or do ospreys just have an immunity to Bastille and the Repelling Augment? I'm trying to solo Hieracon and the darn things just fly through all the way through to the excav. and blast it down! I put down 4 bastilles down for power strength compensation. They will also just keep shooting while being held place until I have like 6 down.

9 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Osprey of every kinda basically ignore a lot of different CC effects. No rhyme or reason why.

Probably just to be cheesey.

Technically it's because Ospreys do not have animations. Thus, any CC that involves animations is a no go, while stuff like Cold procs, Rhino's Stomp, Nova's MPrime, Frost's Avalanche do their full effect.

40 minutes ago, Autongnosis said:

Technically it's because Ospreys do not have animations. Thus, any CC that involves animations is a no go, while stuff like Cold procs, Rhino's Stomp, Nova's MPrime, Frost's Avalanche do their full effect.

You don't usually need an animation to impose an effect on an object. The behavior and animation function calls are likely different scripts and the lack of animation would result in no animation but the behavior effect will still function. 

Rhino Stomp does happen to have a model animation, a rather unique one in fact and when you use it on Osprey they are affected however display no animation. This leads me to think they are separate scripts and that all CC "should" function in the same manner.

It's impossible to know either way without looking at the code.

In my clan we have a tradition that helps answer questions like this e.g. 

Q: Why does the game always crash on 38 waves of defense or 38 minutes of survival?
A: Because F*** you!

Q: Why does the one @(*()$ prime part I need never drop?

Q: Why does the stalker always show up when i am leveling a new frame?

You get the idea xD An extract from https://steamcommunity.com/groups/viorlaclan/discussions/1/405694115207272300/

16 hours ago, Xzorn said:

You don't usually need an animation to impose an effect on an object. The behavior and animation function calls are likely different scripts and the lack of animation would result in no animation but the behavior effect will still function. 

Rhino Stomp does happen to have a model animation, a rather unique one in fact and when you use it on Osprey they are affected however display no animation. This leads me to think they are separate scripts and that all CC "should" function in the same manner.

It's impossible to know either way without looking at the code.

Not exactly. How this works is, some abilities do have an animation, but then apply an effect that doesn't have one. For example:

• Chaos applies a stagger, then its confusion effect. Ospreys ignore the initial stagger but not the confusion.
  • Rhino's Stomp ragdolls, then slows by 97.5%. Ospreys ignore the ragdoll, but not the slow.
  • Frost's Avalanche first staggers all enemies in range, then freezes them. Ospreys ignore the initial stagger, but then get frozen.

Instead, some CCs are animations-only. IE:

• Fire proc is an animation-lock CC, and does a DoT. Ospreys ignore the CC effect entirely, but not the DoT.
  • Bastille locks the enemy in the Jesus animation. Ospreys again ignore it entirely.

It's really simple and consistent across the board. We can argue wheter that's a good or bad thing, i have no strong feeling about it myself, but it's pretty apparent :)