Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bolt Action Snipers

Doothers

I agree, oneshot Anti-Materiel Rifle would be cool.

If it had innate penetration for multiple targets + cover then it'd be pretty useful/unique to have given you can clear a line of enemies with it.

Railgun Sniper, every time you shoot it needs to spin up again ready to shoot! That is basically a high tech bolt sniper

bring back the snipetron, turn the lanka into this^

cant help but feel that anyone who wants a bolt action sniper, just wants to quick scope (aka cod players)... perhaps i have been playing too much cod.

Not true! I think my love for Bolt-Actions stems from a combination of a few casual deer hunting trips and the Falllout series. I detest the CoD games and their toxic communities.

Something is just oh so incredibly satisfying about a bolt action. The feel. The sound. Physically interacting with the round. It's..intimate.

There is something innately charming about a beat-up old rifle that still gets the job done. A weapon that has stayed with you and has proven itself dependable---time and time again---despite how weathered and worn it might appear on the outside.

Edited by Rudest

How about a high caliber sniper, let's say (speaking in reallife terms) a 20mm bolt-action? Afterall today's armies have the Barrett .50cal, the Cheytac Intervention, L115A3 or the KSVK, all firing 12.7*99mm (Barrett, Intervention), .357 Magnum (L115A3) or 12.7*109mm rounds.

oh, found out, 12.7mm is not the biggest ever used on rifles - 14.5mm russian anti-tank rifle, 20mm US anti tank rifles (chambered for 20mm Vulcan, usually used on Miniguns mounted in jets, bullets).

Just to get an overview on it: 20*138mm anti tank rifles were produced by the finish in WW2 already.

Base Damage: 200.0

Rate: 1.2 

Accuracy: 17.0 (Bolt-Action Snipers are generally more accurate than semi-auto snipers, dont ask me why, it has something to do with the automatic ejection of the bullet casings)

Clip: 4.0 (similar to the Vulkar)

Considering the fact that it was used in WW2 to penetrate 40mm upwards of steel (up to 75mm used on SU-100s), it should have an "armor-ignore" effect, making it especially useful against grineer. not to mention modern or future 20mm guns will have no problem with 75mm at all. 

Furthermore, it's shell should in theory have enough kinetic energy to rip the whole head + half of the upper body of an infested ancient off. considering how 12.7mm AT-rifles today aren't going to leave much more than the legs and arms of a guy on the ground already.

oh and about the sound issue, especially on the reload mechanism:

I think that kinda displays the power of these kinda rifles. Grineers gonna learn how to fly with that thing.

Something is just oh so incredibly satisfying about a bolt action. The feel. The sound. Physically interacting with the round. It's..intimate.

There is something innately charming about a beat-up old rifle that still gets the job done. A weapon that has stayed with you and has proven itself dependable---time and time again---despite how weathered and worn it might appear on the outside.

This. This is my whole reason for supporting this idea. A bolt action rifle just...feels better than a dakka rifle.

We don't need more snipers... We already have vulkar and snipetron. All they need is a better weak spot multiplier.

Every good shooter has a bolt-action. And generally, bolt-actions are way cooler than semi-auto snipers, simply due to the epic sound of your character loading in another shell.

If the bolt action rifle were to remain true to it's roots it wouldn't be very strong at all.

Single shot, low reload speed guns wil be massively overshadowed by everything else, since they wouldn't be able to kill mobs efficiently.

And if it reloads fast (at base) then it kinda goes against the single-shot, high damage rifle archetype.

Edited by Duralumin

If the bolt action rifle were to remain true to it's roots it wouldn't be very strong at all.

Single shot, low reload speed guns wil be massively overshadowed by everything else, since they wouldn't be able to kill mobs efficiently.

And if it reloads fast (at base) then it kinda goes against the single-shot, high damage rifle archetype.

Snipers should not have slow reload speed due to their mag size. They should make a compartment on the vulkar where you put a rock like thing in it and on the lanka a spherical energy based item. To me it would be easier to reload a sniper than a shotgun and some Auto Rifles. Sniper reload speed should be CUT DOWN.