Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A suggestion for unholy ? Alert item frequency

Zh40

Hey, so, you know, sure, Jaw swords are falling out of everyone's bum, there's so many.

I've been pretty frustrated with the way things have been going for alerts. So..

How about having ? alerts CYCLE.

Splitting them into categories, and have them cycle like this:

Artifact -> Sword -> dagger -> orokin item -> repeat, scrambled (so that people in different timezones can recieve same prizes.)

And within each category, they would cycle.

For example:

If 4 artifacts, 3 swords, 4 daggers and 2 orokin items exist, then:

Day 1: Artifact 1 -> Sword 3 -> dagger 2 -> orokin item 1

Day 2: Sword 1 -> Artifact 3 -> orokin item 2 -> dagger 3

Day 3: dagger 1 -> orokin item 2 -> artifact 2 -> sword 2

Day 4: Artifact 4 -> dagger 4 -> sword 3 -> orokin item 1

On the plus side, It's also pretty basic to code.

Not necessarily pinning the ? alert times it to a schedule, but at least reducing some frustration with the alert drop rates, so that we're not waiting two weeks for one measly artifact or weapon (and increasing the chances of regular players to get orokin items!)

Edited by Zh40

I feel ultimately just pinning the ? Alerts to a schedule and leaving the results spotty is fine.

If alerts are happening predictably enough for a player to be able to snag a few every day then you'll find the repeat drops aren't quite so irritating.

Edited by Blatantfool

If I understand correctly - in 4 days you get 4 Orokin Artifacts.

Won't happen - people will just watch alerts every day until they stock on enough Orokin BP to upgrade everything - and there must be some kind of incentive to buy them in Pt store.

I think that individual randomisation of every ? reward may alleviate frustration - every alert would be a chance to get Orokin BP and noone would moan that "this BP was in my work/sleep/whatever" hours.

If I understand correctly - in 4 days you get 4 Orokin Artifacts.

Won't happen - people will just watch alerts every day until they stock on enough Orokin BP to upgrade everything - and there must be some kind of incentive to buy them in Pt store.

I think that individual randomisation of every ? reward may alleviate frustration - every alert would be a chance to get Orokin BP and noone would moan that "this BP was in my work/sleep/whatever" hours.

No, actually. Randomization of items for each individual guy wont solve anything. It'll just make it even harder to nail item goals. Sometimes people are hoping for things like the Heat Sword or Rifle Amp too. Best to leave that part alone. It doesn't actually make your odds that much worse that each alerts gives a specific thing and it allows players to let friends and clanmates know what alert is up and what the item is.

Not THAT hard to get what you want if you camp the forums / in-client alerts but... break that down to a casual player who doesn't refresh the forums every 10 minutes and only plays 1-2 hours a day? I dont even want to start doing the math for the chances of a catalyst or reactor.

I'd say make it the token based system that some people already recommended. Something like 1 token per alert mission (normal included) and make catalyst and reactors cost some abysmal price like 50-100. Maybe mix in daily first win reward of a 5 bonus tokens for the casuals and presto!

Edited by Lers

Not THAT hard to get what you want if you camp the forums / in-client alerts but... break that down to a casual player who doesn't refresh the forums every 10 minutes and only plays 1-2 hours a day? I dont even want to start doing the math for the chances of a catalyst or reactor.

I'd say make it the token based system that some people already recommended. Something like 1 token per alert mission (normal included) and make catalyst and reactors cost some abysmal price like 50-100. Maybe mix in daily first win reward of a 5 bonus tokens for the casuals and presto!

Like the idea of tokens

Yeah, that sounds plausible - and easy to set number of tokens to get decent number of Pt sells and decrease amount of people being frustrated. Any progress is better than no progress.

But it doesn't really fix the nastiest parts of why people complain.

Adding this would compound on top of problems people are already having. It isn't actually a solution, it just sounds good.

It'd ignore:

-You can still easily go hours without a ? Alert at all.

-Players have things to do. If you can't be on for whatever reason your likliness of being present for the event you DO need is shot to hell.

If a game like this can't be worked into a schedule it will suffer for it. You have to come play when the game feels like it or else miss that one alert for the thing you need.

In a game where one of the only goals you can set is 'Get X item' or 'Max out X item' the ideas 'I want this' and 'I need this' are very much one and the same. Enjoyment comes from obtaining these things or finishing their progression.

Players feel a need for the things they can only have through Alerts. Alerts are painfully irregular and things worth having tend to be extremely illusive. Because of the irregularity of the alerts no one will appreciate the rarity of the items. It becomes a level of frustration all its own. Frustration that is clearly common among the community since these threads ALWAYS pop up.

It just isn't acceptable for a game to refuse to let a player feel success on their free time.

Edited by Blatantfool

I think you miss the point.. wit tokens trere will be no "?" alerts but all regular alerts will give you a token wich you can trade for whatever reward you want...

It misses no point at all. It still doesn't fix the fact that the majority of the people with a problem here seem to all fall back on the fact that you can't even count on an alert happening, much less count on lucking out with the current system.

The idea of rewarding your tokens for any alert at all only makes it slightly better.

Edited by Blatantfool