Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Channel Looks Pretty But Is Otherwise Mostly Useless... Let's Fix It!

Notso

I literally take this mods for the funky blue sheen it puts on my melee weapon.

Let's think about this. To fully charge the weapon with bonus damage, I need to use Slash Dash twice [if the mod is maxed]. This gives 200 bonus damage, to one enemy. How much damage do I do with slash dash? 500, to as many enemies as I can line up.

I think this mod should give the bonus damage to every melee hit for a set duration after acquiring the bonus energy damage, or be a set number of hits [but many more hits than 1, obviously].

There are a couple of other points that could be changed about the mod that would affect it's usefulness.

1) Change how long the damage boost lasts

a) Make the damage buff be for a fixed Time duration. A certain number of seconds.

- in this scenario, the buff could have a decay rate, and will apply bonus damage until the bonus damage reaches zero. 

- alternatively, the buff could be flat and last for a fixed number of seconds. 

b) Make the damage buff last for a fixed number of attacks

- Example: One charged attack, or one regular combo. 

- For weapons that hit multiple targets at once, this would apply the damage to all targets hit in the swing

2) Change how the damage is calculated

a) Make the bonus damage apply to base value in calculations, like Killing Blow or Pressure Point

- This alone, combined with a greater duration, could make regular melee attacks viable.

- You might reduce the bonus to charged attacks

b) Have melee channel be percentage, and apply it like other elements.

I don't like 2b, because it still favors multi-target, charged attack based weapons too heavily.

I also like 1b, because it would be the replacement for Pressure Point, which currently sucks. It would make single target, non-charge based weapons viable. It would also mean that it would be useful on the Glaive.

I think the point of the mod is missed for some people. The intent is that you would use ability that help you in the thick of the action, and then you get an extra damage hit on top of those people you should attacked. For example, use radial blind, now you get an extra damage hit to one of those blind enemies. Or even something like radial disarm. Now that everyone is running up to punch your face in, you can have some extra damage on one of them.

It's just an extra damage boost, and I tihnk it's fine the way it is now, but I wouldn't mind changing it to multihit.

I think the damage simmer idea is good.

Say you have it maxed (1 energy = 2 damage, max of what, 200?). You use a 100 energy ability, and that buff to your melee gets weaker over time. Maybe like 10 seconds even. So within second 1, you do 200 extra damage. At second 5, only 100. After 10 seconds, your weapon is no longer energy charged, and you must cast another ability to recharge it.

Would tie in great for things like rhino's iron skin, ember,s overheat and trinity's link.  Use your ability, get some big damage in, and get out of there.  Would make it ACTUALLY useful.

I use Melee Channel on my Saryns Fangs, think it works really great together with molt/Contagion and it gives my abilities even higher burst.

Only other character i use it on is Volt, with speed and gram charge attacks though. So yeah, let it be a few amount of attacks, I'm not a big fan of being time limited though

1: you need to spend 100 energy to full charge.  That's 4 slash dashes minimum, more with efficiency.

2: What if instead of bonus damage, it released a bonus shockwave attack on melee?  Separate from the base melee hit, but a nice aoe cone of damage to make the charged attacks really stand out.

There are a couple of other points that could be changed about the mod that would affect it's usefulness.

1) Change how long the damage boost lasts

a) Make the damage buff be for a fixed Time duration. A certain number of seconds.

- in this scenario, the buff could have a decay rate, and will apply bonus damage until the bonus damage reaches zero. 

- alternatively, the buff could be flat and last for a fixed number of seconds. 

b) Make the damage buff last for a fixed number of attacks

- Example: One charged attack, or one regular combo. 

- For weapons that hit multiple targets at once, this would apply the damage to all targets hit in the swing

2) Change how the damage is calculated

a) Make the bonus damage apply to base value in calculations, like Killing Blow or Pressure Point

- This alone, combined with a greater duration, could make regular melee attacks viable.

- You might reduce the bonus to charged attacks

b) Have melee channel be percentage, and apply it like other elements.

I don't like 2b, because it still favors multi-target, charged attack based weapons too heavily.

I also like 1b, because it would be the replacement for Pressure Point, which currently sucks. It would make single target, non-charge based weapons viable. It would also mean that it would be useful on the Glaive.

they are going to buff pressure point to make normal attacks more powerful i believe