Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Antimatter Frame Name] As A Council Member, I'd Like To Apologise

Asagiri

By that logic nothing should ever be called new or premier or anything of that descriptor because something else will always be newer one day. Silliness.

Nova is a very specific astrophysics concept regarding white dwarfs becoming brighter through nuclear fusion. It literally has nothing to do with antimatter.

What worries me even more though is the amount of people acting like they're practically experts on what antimatter is or isn't and how it affects the environment because they read the wikipedia article.

"violent reaction" doesn't mean the same thing in the chemistry/physics world as it does in video game land. Mixing baking soda with vinegar is a "violent chemical reaction."

Antimatter would behave much differently in actuality from how everyone seems to think it would. Too much sci-fi influence. Let me tell you, it wouldn't be huge explosions. Antimatter only corrodes an exact equal amount of matter equivalent to itself. To eliminate one grineer, the frame would have to compose a grineer sized blob of antimatter. And it wouldn't explode either.

This, i know nothing worth speaking of about the topic, and can only vote based on what is given to me.  All i can do is vote on what i like, and voice my disagreements, so i do.

Naming something new while it IS new is one thing. BUT the "New Nova SUV" or whatever the object in question is, will still be the "Nova SUV" in 5 years. The NEW part wears off, and is more of a title. Naming a warframe New in latin will not wear off, and is even more reason for me to dislike Nova as a name

Edited by Vahlak

By that logic nothing should ever be called new or premier or anything of that descriptor because something else will always be newer one day. Silliness.

And with that logic those things would sound funny. Probably why most things in the world sound funny to me. Including everything that has to do with this antimatter frame.

Nova is a very specific astrophysics concept regarding white dwarfs becoming brighter through nuclear fusion. It literally has nothing to do with antimatter.

What worries me even more though is the amount of people acting like they're practically experts on what antimatter is or isn't and how it affects the environment because they read the wikipedia article.

"violent reaction" doesn't mean the same thing in the chemistry/physics world as it does in video game land. Mixing baking soda with vinegar is a "violent chemical reaction."

Antimatter would behave much differently in actuality from how everyone seems to think it would. Too much sci-fi influence. Antimatter only corrodes an exact equal amount of matter equivalent to itself. To eliminate one grineer, the frame would have to compose a grineer sized blob of antimatter.

I'm no expert, I'll admit that right now that I know about as much about anti-matter as anyone who has read the wikipedia page, but isn't the other half of "annihilation of matter and equivalent anti-matter" a dramatic release of energy?

Yeah, but those names fit the frames, Nova is completely irrelevant, and displeasing to say out loud, at least for me

Sounds a whole lot better to me than Null or Flux, both very dull, brick wall sounds.  I never liked Nyx for the same reason, it's such a janky syllable.

Edited by Cursor

I don't know what name to vote for...I kinda don't really like any of them.

Welcome to my day. At least if Anathema had been on the list it would have been decent, but I don't think that list was compiled well at all.

Welcome to my day. At least if Anathema had been on the list it would have been decent, but I don't think that list was compiled well at all.

Ehhh, I don't see myself voting for Anathema either, had it been an option.  Granted, I'm absolutely horrible at deciding on a name that I like.  I didn't even bother to post a suggestion of my own because of how terrible I am at thinking up names that I like.

This, i know nothing worth speaking of about the topic, and can only vote based on what is given to me.  All i can do is vote on what i like, and voice my disagreements, so i do.

Naming something new while it IS new is one thing. BUT the "New Nova SUV" or whatever the object in question is, will still be the "Nova SUV" in 5 years. The NEW part wears off, and is more of a title. Naming a warframe New in latin will not wear off, and is even more reason for me to dislike Nova as a name

And with that logic those things would sound funny. Probably why most things in the world sound funny to me. Including everything that has to do with this antimatter frame.

I never participated in the design council discussion or voting but based on scientific merit alone I think the most legitimate name for this frame would be "Genesis"

I'm no expert, I'll admit that right now that I know about as much about anti-matter as anyone who has read the wikipedia page, but isn't the other half of "annihilation of matter and equivalent anti-matter" a dramatic release of energy?

Yes and no. The dramatic release of energy is largely gamma, xray, and neutrino, most of which is completely invisible/unobservable, neutralized or simply unstable.

And even then, that's only when they are forced in to a very specific kind of collision akin to the way nuclear energy is typically harnessed. Simply dropping a modicum of antimatter on an enemy isn't going to do a whole lot.

Well, if there were other good names suggested but NOT on the poll.

THE ONLY QUESTION IS...

WHO DECIDED WHICH NAMES WOULD BE IN THIS POLL AND WHICH NAMES LEFT OUT?

Sounds to me like the person who created the poll wanted to stack it.

Well, if there were other good names suggested but NOT on the poll.

THE ONLY QUESTION IS...

WHO DECIDED WHICH NAMES WOULD BE IN THIS POLL AND WHICH NAMES LEFT OUT?

Sounds to me like the person who created the poll wanted to stack it.

obviously so, when an option like diraca is included.

I voted for Nova personally it was more appealing to me than the rest. Was the perfect name? no, there where better...much better. But I made a choice on what I was given and I'll move on. I feel this thread is a bit childish.

"the name I voted on isn't winning let's apologize because others didn't agree with my opinion."

Think of anything that has ever been voted on and both parties leaving satisfied with the outcome. It just simply doesn't happen. Since when did logical things actually matter in games? You're a ninja...in space. A name for a frame that really don't relate to it's theme, huge crime.

The moment you decided you didn't like how she was turning out was the moment you should've dropped all interest and let it go.

I hate Vauban, don't like the way he looks or his kit. I didn't make a thread about it I chose to wait for the next frame.

Edited by Soathe

I voted for Nova personally it was more appealing to me than the rest. Was the perfect name? no, there where better...much better. But I made a choice on what I was given and I'll move on. I feel this thread is a bit childish.

"the name I voted on isn't winning let's apologize because others didn't agree with my opinion."

Think of anything that has ever been voted on and both parties leaving satisfied with the outcome. It just simply doesn't happen. Since when did logical things actually matter in games? You're a ninja...in space. A name for a frame that really don't relate to it's theme, Huge crime.

The moment you decided you didn't like how she was turning out was the moment you should dropped all interest and let itgo.

I hate Vauban, don't like the way he looks or his kit. I didn't make a thread about it I chose to wait for the next frame.

No, the point of the thread is quite clear and you repeated it.

There were better names suggested that were deliberately left out of the poll to force people like yourself to either abstain or to vote for Nova even though you would not have had one of the other names been in the poll.

The moment you decided you didn't like how she was turning out was the moment you should dropped all interest and let it go.

I didn't what? I like the visuals, I hate that every name on the list simply does not fit.

And I feel it's high time the DC as a whole apologised to the community for being such massive horse turds in general.

Yes and no. The dramatic release of energy is largely gamma, xray, and neutrino, most of which is completely invisible/unobservable, neutralized or simply unstable.

And even then, that's only when they are forced in to a very specific kind of collision akin to the way nuclear energy is typically harnessed. Simply dropping a modicum of antimatter on an enemy isn't going to do a whole lot.

If the very basic research I did on this is correct, then the energy produced is the same as any mass to energy conversion, so E=mc^2, so the explosions produced would be as violent as an equivalent amount of matter involved in a nuclear reaction.  If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

And obviously the frame would need to expose matter to the equivalent anti-particle.  That's sort of necessary for this whole concept to work, unless DE is just working on a "we don't actually care how" approach, like they do with heat, cold, chemicals, and electricity.

Honestly, you could come up with better names briefly reading a wiki article on anti matter. An thats if you're unoriginal, those who are witty could come up with an even better one by putting a spin on it or doing a play of words.

I like Nova a lot. It's winning because people like it.

So posting about it being a bad name makes people turn against the name. That's cool.

It's winning because all the other names suck just as bad or worse. And if people are...gullible enough to let a thread dictate what they turn against, well thats pretty much on them. We all are just voicing our concern and dislike for the names

Actually like the name "antimatter"

you called a Frame.. volt, ember, ash, frost .... why does this one need a name?

Because "Antimatter" is its "element", not its name.

Frost isn't called "Ice", nor is Ember called "Fire" etc etc etc.