Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Dera Dilemma

Archforge

Question

So I rolled a riven mod for Dera and the results were interestesting. After 2 rolls the riven mod gave me 168% crit chance, 1.2 punch through, 112% multishot, - 28 status duration. I thought that although the multishot and punch through is good, I wont need the high crit chance (since Dera Vandals crit chance is only 5%) and the negative status duration is also a little on the bad side.

I rerolled it again and I got 158% damage, 74% fire, 82% multishot. So I considered this mod due to its superior stats but lower multishot. From the previous mod I got an estimated increased 15% status chance from the 112% multishot but with the rerolled mod I only got 10.8% status chance increase. I decided to go for the second one.

But I wanted more from my riven mod so my greedy brain decided to reroll it again and I got 198% damage, 112% toxin. I decided to go for this mod since the damage increase is higher although I will loose the multishot increase.

So my question is did I do the right thing? Does my latest riven stats superior than the previous stats I have? OR am I very stupid that I chose the last one?

I'm asking this question so I can learn what stats I don't need and what do I need to maximize so I can avoid making any future mistakes. Thanks ^^

7 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, Archforge said:

did I do the right thing?

Damage and multishot stack additively with Serration and Split Chamber respectively.

Weapon's base damage D is multiplied by 1 plus all base damage bonuses.  With Serration's 165% damage, that's  D * (1+1.65)

Weapon's base projection count P is multiplied by 1 plus all projectile count bonuses. With Split Chamber's 90%, that's P * (1+0.9)

Adding 198% damage changes your base damage multiplier from 2.65 to 4.63, or a final damage increase of 74%

Adding 82% multishot changes your projectile count from 1.9 to 2.72, or a final damage increase of 43%. but that riven also increased base damage by 158%, and those bonuses compound, meaning the middle riven mod increased your final damage by a brisk 128% before considering the element.

I would have kept #2.  The last one has a higher base damage bonus and a higher elemental bonus, but the middle one had a significantly higher bonus to raw damage before elements (and honestly the difference between 70% element and 100% element when you're probably going to put at least 2 other elemental mods on the gun, isn't really that big).

Edited by Momaw

#2 was vastly superior due to the multishot causing the actual damage increase to be much higher, as well as directly boosting status chance (which in turn further increases dps as well as utility).

Plus, Heat damage is much more useful than Toxin.

11 hours ago, Momaw said:

Damage and multishot stack additively with Serration and Split Chamber respectively.

Weapon's base damage D is multiplied by 1 plus all base damage bonuses.  With Serration's 165% damage, that's  D * (1+1.65)

Weapon's base projection count P is multiplied by 1 plus all projectile count bonuses. With Split Chamber's 90%, that's P * (1+0.9)

Adding 198% damage changes your base damage multiplier from 2.65 to 4.63, or a final damage increase of 74%

Adding 82% multishot changes your projectile count from 1.9 to 2.72, or a final damage increase of 43%. but that riven also increased base damage by 158%, and those bonuses compound, meaning the middle riven mod increased your final damage by a brisk 128% before considering the element.

I would have kept #2.  The last one has a higher base damage bonus and a higher elemental bonus, but the middle one had a significantly higher bonus to raw damage before elements (and honestly the difference between 70% element and 100% element when you're probably going to put at least 2 other elemental mods on the gun, isn't really that big).

Ohh I didn't know that multishot also increases base damage. I picked the third reroll since I thought that a mere 10.8% increase in status chance is weaker than gaining additional damage. Thanks for the info ^^

42 minutes ago, Momaw said:

It doesn't increase the base damage....it gives you more projectiles that each inflict the base damage. That's why base damage bonus and multishot multiply eachother.

Which is also why everyone and their mother is looking pretty much for +dmg, +multi, +crit/crit dmg/element for almost every weapon riven.

Ones with the first two on it are typically considered god tier. The only exception is usually weapons with insane crit/crit dmg multipliers. Then multi is usually replaced with a +dmg/+crit/+crit dmg mod as god tier.

Mutishot is always a solid choice.  You have to think about like this: every 100% is a guaranteed double to damage, critical chance and status chance.  The only downside is the engine involved with anything less than 100% mutishot and the fact that the extra projectiles might miss.  

I would have liked to play around with that crit mod though.  Just to see if I could get a decent crit dera.  5% + 150%(7. 5%) is 12.5 + plus another 7.5 for point strike and you're sitting at 20% crit chance for two mods, that coupled with the Dera vandal's 200% crit damage. Vital sense will take that 420% which will leave you with five damage mods.  It won't put it in the hall of fame but that's not terrible!

On 12/7/2016 at 11:33 AM, Momaw said:

I didn't get how you calculated the final damage increase. Can you show me the math behind it?

Nevermind, I got it :3

Edited by Archforge
I suck at math