Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Riven Mod Feedback

-CHURCH-

Hello everyone. i don't normally post on the forums unless there's something i really feel that needs to be revisited.

(This is due to the recent news of secondary rivens and possibly melee rivens coming in the future)

RIVEN MODS

The Good,

The addition of the riven mods has allowed a lot of the previously disregarded utility mods able to be used in 1 single mod slot to still allow for all of the core damage mods to be installed and not sacrificing significant damage for a little bit of utility.

The riven mods allow for generally weaker but fun weapons to be brought up in power so they can be somewhat viable in low high end content ( sorties/ solar map endless missions ). This allows for some very fun load out options that don’t use the OP meta weapons.

The Bad,

Damage stats.

Riven mods adding insane damage amplification breaks the balance that a lot of weapons may have. Meta weapons become more powerful (even with the disposition) making the "weaker" weapons still less used since "why use weak weapons with OP mod, when i could use OP weapon with OP mod and have even more OP on my OP".

Disposition

The idea of rivens making less used weapons more usable is potentially self-destructive. The current disposition system seems to be based on "highly used weapons get faint disposition and less used weapons get strong disposition" which if the rivens do their intended job will break this disposition balance. If all weapons become equally used, then all weapons will be "normal" disposition, meaning strong meta weapons will still be better and thus more used. (This is based on the speculation that riven disposition would change over time depending on weapon use)

Capacity

The current capacity for primary rivens is fine, BUT, with the addition of secondary rivens and even melee rivens this capacity becomes too small. Most players will want rivens for the strong weapons and if they have 5 rivens for the meta weapons of each category there will be no room left for the lesser used weapons thus making the riven systems intended purpose not work.

The Suggestions,

Stats.

Making the riven mod stats utility only such as; reload, critical chance, fire rate, etc., etc. NO +DAMAGE OF ANY KIND this includes multishot (unless it is a shotgun riven. due to what a shotgun is.)

I believe this would be better for the riven system since the biggest problem i have noticed is that once all the core mods are in place for a weapon; there is no room for utility. For example, A crit based primary weapon requires ATLEAST: Serration, Vital sense and Point strike. Then add a combination of other core mods such as: Hammer shot, Critical delay, Split Chamber, Heavy Caliber, Type Damage mod (impact, slash, puncture), and possible an element combination and you have already hit your mod limit and have no room for any utility. Having a riven mod that gives ATLEAST crit chance allows you to replace mods such as critical delay and gain utility through the other 3 stats the riven might have.

The removal of damage from rivens can help them stay balanced and useful in any further damage related updates. Aka damage 3.0.

Disposition.

Make disposition a static thing. The CURRENT lesser used weapons should keep their strong disposition even if they become the most used (or at least never changed to faint disposition) otherwise the issue explained earlier can happen causing a loop of changing dispositions.

Capacity.

In general more capacity is required to allow users to use more of the lesser used weapons with these riven mods.

Suggestion a. Make separate riven capacities for each riven category (Rifle, Sniper, Shotgun, Pistol, Melee, etc.) based on the amount of weapons in that category (e.g. if there were 100 rifles. allow for 10-20 riven mods for rifles).

Suggestion b. Make the riven capacity increase via Mastery. Have the base riven capacity set as 10 increasing by 1 every master level (max 40) this means that when someone has access to riven mods they will have the capacity for at least 15 (10 + mastery rank 5 required for war within) which is the current cap. This also adds another reason to level up your mastery rank above the highest rank required for X content.

Worries.

I worry that with the introduction of secondary riven mods a lot of secondaries will become more powerful than primaries again making a lot of primaries underused in favour of these new OP secondaries. This would not a problem if there were no +damage stats on the rivens as stated above.

I myself am at the current max master rank of 23. i have leveled every item (except venka prime, give me the blades!! D:) and have had a lot of fun with the new riven mods systems allowing me to bring some life into weapons i previously avoided because they were just not on par a lot of weapons. i have spent many formas and kuva making the weapon and their riven strong and fun to use in higher end content. My gorgon with insane fire rate, reload and elemental damage makes it feel like a true minigun of death.

BUT with the news of secondary and possible melee riven mods if the current riven capacity stays i will have to end up dissolving the riven mods and putting away these fun weapons just so i can get the new riven mods for secondaries/ melees that i use more commonly.

Also another note how come the kuva fortress gives no kuva in anyway seems a bit silly to me. (Why can’t I steal these massive containers of kuva I keep seeing?)

Thanks for taking the time to read, I would like to hear more feedback from the community and would love feedback from the devs.

Cheers everyone back to the endless grind CHURCH out. 

Just a quick bit of info in regards to the capacity for Riven Mods.

The problem they are currently facing is how much data their database can handle i.e. the more that the players obtain riven mods, the more data that has to be stored.
What they should have done from the get go is make it so Riven % stat values are a predicted % value (predictable for the database) and not a randomly generated value that includes floats (decimals i.e. not whole numbers). So having a range of numbers that can be randomly generated (60, 70, 80, 90, 100 etc.) instead of (60.1, 60.2, 60.3, 60.4 etc.).

Edited by Alcoholism

19 minutes ago, Alcoholism said:

Just a quick bit of info in regards to the capacity for Riven Mods.

The problem they are currently facing is how much data their database can handle i.e. the more that the players obtain riven mods, the more data that has to be stored.
What they should have done from the get go is make it so Riven % stat values are a predicted % value (predictable for the database) and not a randomly generated value that includes floats (decimals i.e. not whole numbers). So having a range of numbers that can be randomly generated (60, 70, 80, 90, 100 etc.) instead of (60.1, 60.2, 60.3, 60.4 etc.).

Thanks for that info also i agree with what you said about the values, they should of had preset values that get randomly chosen rathen then completely made up values.

Theres still time for them to change it :).

Riven Acquisition: 

I would like to see more ways to acquire riven mods due to have so many weapons not necessarily easier ways but more challenging ways of obtaining.

1. Sortie on riven mod reward before veiled, option to choose primary, secondary or melee rather than adding them in waves.

2. Chance of 1 riven mod per day on the kuva fortress map either by end of mission reward , defence wave 20+, survival 20+ ,spy vault reward all 3 vaults, exterminate caches all 3, maybe a special enemy unit that must be lured out like a juggernaut . (How about a kuva manic bombard eximus :P ) or a powered up kuva guardian eximus with new abilities.

3. Daily log in reward.

4. 24 hour alert mission type and enemy difficulty de discretion (must have completed war within to be able to see it and receive reward no taxis.

5. Tactical invasions, either corpus vs grineer with choice of primary or secondary or melee, fomorian sabotage reward, Razorback Armada reward.

Any other Suggestions please post :).

I agree with a capacity change. That needs to happen.

However, your proposed changes for removing all damage stats from rivens is tricky. That removes damage (1), multi shot (2), all elemental damage types(6), including IPS (9). In addition, if you remove pure damage then you need to remove crit chance and crit damage (11), as for crit weapons that's essentially just adding a damage multiplier. Fire rate is adding damage for almost all weapons, so for now that makes (12). That means we take out 12 of 24 possible rolls, which makes for much less variety and chances are a lot of people would not even use them anymore. Furthermore, if it's not a big enough incentive, people will just abandon them to the wayside, including whatever systems are associated with them. I agree that damage 3.0 needs to happen and riven mods are a step backwards, but I'm not sure about the right approach. 

Also, as soon as you add other methods of getting rivens that are easier/quicker, no one will do Sorties anymore. 

Just some things to think about

Edit: forgot about damage to specific factions, which are additional damage mods, so make that a total of 15/24. 

Edited by Etharien