The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Excalibur Rework Idea. (My opinion)

V0ltHunter

First of all, I'm an Excalibur main. And I like how the idea of Excal being a swordmaster but the sad truth is, he don't feel like a sword master when i play him. He feels like a swordsman-wannabe mage that goes around using staff as a 'sword'. So here's a few ideas to make him feel more like swordsman.

I like his first ability, slash dash at what it could do and it's damage (i know it scales on melee mods and that's why I like it) but the animation seemed stiff somehow. Cause when he dashes, his whole body seemed frozen, it made him look like he was suppose to do a 360 spin while moving but instead he was lagging and thus freezing in that animation until he reached his target. So here's my suggestion, maybe add some blur around him (blur like mesa's peacemaker) so it make him look like he's moving super fast which could kinda explain that freezing stance. TL;DR Make his animation looks spontaneous. 

As for his second and third ability, I find it to be a sort of a waste and don't fit in to his swordmaster concept. Just bear with me first. His Radial Blind is an aoe cc (Area of Effect Crowd Control) and so is his Radial Javelin (for those who doesn't know, his third ability also stuns enemies hit. I find it a lot of people doesn't know that). But his Radial Javelin does a S#&$ load of damage for a non-ultimate but has limited numbers of enemies it could hit. Both an aoe cc ability but only one of the two deals damage. And what's more, the way he held his blade up to the air and blind enemies look forced on to his swordmaster concept. I expected something like this from a mage (Gandalf, to be precise), holding up his staff and blind enemies, not a swordmaster. Here's my idea, combine this two skill together and made way for another ability that could fit in more with his swordmaster concept. When I say combining the two, here's what I meant. It would still be kinda like Radial Javelin but the stun is removed and replace with blind. It has no limit on how many enemies it could hit but the damage could be lowered.

As for his now empty ability spot (I have two ideas), maybe give him a party buff ability (or self buff) that increases attack speed and casting speed (that way his slash dash would dash faster and radial javelin would deal damage much faster). As for my second idea, give him a defensive buff (cuz even a good swordmaster needs armour, right? Unless of course we're talking about a swordmaster that relies on his quick movement for defense which seems unlikely cause he's the poster boy of Warframe and he's suppose to be easy to play. I doubt making him needing to rely on quick feet to survive is easy for newbies). Anyway back to my idea, maybe on activation his shield is replenished (or overcharges his shield if it's already full) and the damage his shields took is negated/reduced? by his armour, for limited duration of course.

And last but not least, his ultimate, Exalted Blade. As much as I love this ability, it's one of the things that doesn't made him feel like a sword master. When I first play Warframe (which by then Excal was already rework), I read the description of his ultimate; Summon a sword of pure light and immense power. That's all there ever is to it, or at least that's what I thought. It really caught me off guard when his Ult was way more than that. The description should read; summon an immensely strong light sword that sends out energy waves like an Archmage with every swing. Cause it's exactly what it feels like. So here's my rework Idea, increase its base damage and its attack range (not the energy waves travel distance). And gave exalted blade a combo that enables him to be mobile while attacking (like polearm's quick melee), brutal attacks like Crimson Dervish, acrobatic like Tempo Royale where the user literally spun in the air with a giant sword, and elegance like Vengeful Revenant. In return, the energy waves would only be release on certain attacks or by the end of a certain combo instead on each swing. 

Finally on a side note, give his Exalted Blade a 20% crit chance instead of 15% (if memory serves). 

Just my opinion tho.

IMO... excalibur is with rhino (besides he got no natural agro pull),... the most balanced Frame InGame.

He is like perfect for his role as melee DD...from low to high lvl ... HE can do it all !! His Damage is insane (well moded lvl 130 1-2 shots with his 4! ) he needs no extras... he is the best as he is now!

13 hours ago, P0Pz said:

IMO... excalibur is with rhino (besides he got no natural agro pull),... the most balanced Frame InGame.

He is like perfect for his role as melee DD...from low to high lvl ... HE can do it all !! His Damage is insane (well moded lvl 130 1-2 shots with his 4! ) he needs no extras... he is the best as he is now!

I concur with you, he doesn't need any rework and is perfect.

4 hours ago, (PS4)Deception_Pharo said:

I concur with you, he doesn't need any rework and is perfect.

Anyone who dares to say "excalibur  needs damage or lacks in high lvl"  ...

Watch this and get ya mind blown, enjoy:

(Btw this guy is a genius!)

22 hours ago, P0Pz said:

Anyone who dares to say "excalibur  needs damage or lacks in high lvl"  ...

Watch this and get ya mind blown, enjoy:

(Btw this guy is a genius!)

My main argument is not his damage, is his animation and the way the abilities are presented.

"First of all, I'm an Excalibur main. And I like how the idea of Excal being a swordmaster but the sad truth is, he don't feel like a sword master when i play him. He feels like a swordsman-wannabe mage that goes around using staff as a 'sword'. So here's a few ideas to make him feel more like swordsman."

I have no doubt that his damage is way off the roof but his abilities doesn't make him feel like a swordsman despite his sword master concept. I feel like I'm playing a mage from Skyrim using the Bound Sword magic skill. 

I'm sorry if my point is not clear enough. But what I really wanted is to make him feel more like a swords man. Maybe it's needless to go through all the change to his abilities components like I mentioned above but at least change the animation or the way on how it's presented. For example his second skill is an aoe blind, but instead of just holding up his blade like a staff and blind enemies, make his animation into something like maybe he uses his exalted blade to swing around the area to sent the dust into the enemies' eyes or something. I know it's a bad example but see what I meant? What his ability does remains the same but only a different way to present the ability.

8 hours ago, V0ltHunter said:

My main argument is not his damage, is his animation and the way the abilities are presented.

"First of all, I'm an Excalibur main. And I like how the idea of Excal being a swordmaster but the sad truth is, he don't feel like a sword master when i play him. He feels like a swordsman-wannabe mage that goes around using staff as a 'sword'. So here's a few ideas to make him feel more like swordsman."

I have no doubt that his damage is way off the roof but his abilities doesn't make him feel like a swordsman despite his sword master concept. I feel like I'm playing a mage from Skyrim using the Bound Sword magic skill. 

I'm sorry if my point is not clear enough. But what I really wanted is to make him feel more like a swords man. Maybe it's needless to go through all the change to his abilities components like I mentioned above but at least change the animation or the way on how it's presented. For example his second skill is an aoe blind, but instead of just holding up his blade like a staff and blind enemies, make his animation into something like maybe he uses his exalted blade to swing around the area to sent the dust into the enemies' eyes or something. I know it's a bad example but see what I meant? What his ability does remains the same but only a different way to present the ability.

Like this..why not 😉 then you got my vote for "better animations". As long they are faster or at same speed as now, i am good with it ♡