Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Volt makes no sense as a Warframe

Xaxma

2 minutes ago, Insizer said:

First off, the stun has nothing to do with it. With that out of the way, lets move on to the main point. The reason is because its an old description that he's had since the game basically began (at least that's how I understand it). I've only been around since the start of open Beta, but I can tell you that since then until Volt's rework that his description was a typo. It should have read "buff to gunplay" rather than "alternative to gunplay". But the devs never did anything about this for at least 2 years, and caused a massive amount of confusion with people expecting a long sword but getting a Swiss Army knife. I too fell victim to this, I was expecting a damage caster only to find that he did little damage. Though soon I fell in love with how versatile his kit was.

Frankly, the span of his abilities was/is not the problem. It was just his description. Actually, not even his description, just one stupid word.

To be honest, I have no issue him being versatile, I just think that his abilities conflict. He has a passive based on moving but his 3 is a shield and his 4 is a stun with an unnecessarily long ccast time. He was my starter and he isn't terrible by any means, I just think that DE should at least try to synergize his abilities instead of throwing on anything with an electrical theme. Also, I wasn't complaining about the abilities specifically but that DE doesn't pay attention to what they themselves actually wanted the frame to be. 

Ash for example is a ninja (by DE's design) with poor invisibility and an ult with no stealth benefits. DE forgot what they wanted the frame to be in favor of a poorly thought out rework to keep the player base busy.

33 minutes ago, Roadle32111 said:

To be honest, I have no issue him being versatile, I just think that his abilities conflict. He has a passive based on moving but his 3 is a shield and his 4 is a stun with an unnecessarily long ccast time. He was my starter and he isn't terrible by any means, I just think that DE should at least try to synergize his abilities instead of throwing on anything with an electrical theme. Also, I wasn't complaining about the abilities specifically but that DE doesn't pay attention to what they themselves actually wanted the frame to be. 

Ash for example is a ninja (by DE's design) with poor invisibility and an ult with no stealth benefits. DE forgot what they wanted the frame to be in favor of a poorly thought out rework to keep the player base busy.

I'm not going lie, his rework was poorly designed to say the least. But it is more self-defeating than Nyx's kit+passive. Granted, I do have to say that I like how he does have a shield as that contributes to his versatility, but yes, they could have at least tried to make the Riot Shield work at all with his movement rather than have it work against it.

The problem with the OP is assuming the frame is designed for "killing". Volt is one of the 3 starter frames. Excalibur is the one that does the killing as his bag of tricks involves actually killing enemies or opening them up to be killed faster. That's why he's easiest to use for new players. Mag is the soft CC and damage multiplier. She's trickier to use since you'll need to know the mechanics more but it's pretty self explanatory for the most part. Volt is the hardest to use out of the three because his abilities are *team based*. His first is a pretty good CC, his second is a team buff for speed and melee attack speed, his third is a protective shield, better used by the team and his fourth is an arena wide CC. None of these are supposed to kill the enemies fast. He is not the best solo frame. He's squishy and has low health.

Your concept for how Volt should be is not aligned with how the devs stated how he should be. He's a team support frame and been tweaked to be that. He's not supposed to be The Flash + Sith on crack. His abilities don't seem to "synch" well because they're not tailored to how he plays solo but how he uses them to support his team. Your idea would fit better for an entirely new frame that's focused on fast movement with lightning/energy/kinetic powers.

From my little experience in this game and in playing Volt and Volt prime, 

I didn't played with all warframes, but just excalibur, rhino and loki, but I always keep going back to Volt, maybe because I love his look, or maybe because I love the feel of ruling lighting, or maybe because for my play style he his the only one that fits it! Maybe he isn't perfect, he needs some little adjustments:

-Remove ( that senseless)dmg cap ( I would rather prefer deal less damage then being stopped by a dmg cap).

- give to his Shock a combo ability 

- And just revisit the look of his greatest ability, Electric Shield! I would like to have some sort of glowing effect on Volt in the direction I'm facing, or maybe an effect on the screen, when I'm holding it. Or otherwise not being forced to use side weapon if I want move it, since I can grab it and place it again, it's pretty pointless. An effect like this for his shield would be simply Beautiful https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ardjet.png#mw-jump-to-license 

but not an entire rework as you desire, or rather get rid of his abilities, to make he become something else that is not his role! 

Sorry for my English...  :)

Edited by ZDoppelganger

On 1/1/2017 at 5:28 PM, Warlord1400 said:

I really like your suggestions, the only problems I have is no more shield and his 4 is restricted to airborne-cast.

Can you make it so he jumps a little if you cast it on the ground, but it's still stronger the higher you are?

BTW I really really like your Distortion idea, it truly makes his lightning, dashing past people like they're not there.

I don't really mind you taking Electric Shield away for Distortion.

8.5/10 and a +1 from me, pal

You may as well jump for yourself and then cast it, but it will be very weak. I like conditional abilities if the ability itself is very powerful; it adds some semblance of balance. Plus, it falls on the skill level of the player using the frame to effectively utilize the ult, hence why I believed scaling the damage and range with the static passive was so important for the concept. 

I don't really want to dabble in numbers too much because I believe DE should have the honor. All in all, height from the ground and passive ramp up should have the strongest influence on the damage with strength and range mods only accounting for the skill's base stats.

I believe that skillful player interactions should contribute more to frame effectiveness than mere stats and mods alone. However, I am also stressing the importance of movement mods with this thread because in my OP's kit, it would inherently buff his abilities. A higher bullet jump means a stronger ult, less friction and more slide means faster Distortion scale and quicker passive ramp up, etc.

Edited by Xaxma

I would love to see another rework of the Volt to make him actual DAMAGE DEALER instead of LOW TIER SUPPORT.

Those who claim Volt to be fine are either not playing him for long enough or just dont care about Volt and prefer to remain Top 1 Damage dealer in his Mrage + Simulor combo.

Hist 1st ability deals low damage, has short stun, spreading to other targets has minimal impact since they are either in Nuller bubble or under Ancient Healer buff effect so it mostly takes about 1-2 seconds for them to get back up.

2nd ability is total garbage, Low Range, Low Speed Boost and Terrible Buff time makes it uselsss on non specific build [And making volt for speed is... pointless]

3rd one is 50/50, most of the time its used to cover one side from enemy fire while trying to protect/revive ally and still it does not protect you from every side [enemy dont care and they spawn all over the place so prepare for backshots] being able to "carry it" is useless, it has more drawbacks than bonuses.

4th ability works only on Robotics and Low Level enemies since after a while its duration goes out faster than you can react [making it short timed Stun which does not work well]

Passive ability is the worst of them all, 1000 electrical damage boost for running arround? what is that? a charge to kill 1 infested crawler on level 10? and you dont controll which shot takes it whole.

VOLT IS terribly reworked, the fact that he has no intended role makes it even worse [something for everything is for nothing]