The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Archive] Of Ash And Fire - Original Thread

SirNerdsAlot5

!WARNING! CONTAINS MATURE LANGUAGE! I DON'T WANT MY INBOX FLOODED WITH MESSAGES LIKE 'You didn't warn us", BECAUSE I JUST DID! DON'T LIKE IT? TOUGH S#&$BRICKS, GO AWAY THEN.

Three. Hours. Three hours of Sylpheed quite hilariously trying to keep herself from cursing at Artorias for taking her ship, and Viviane for being dumb enough to be caught, all the while her raven hair flying all over. The not so hilarious part of it all was the fact the Sylpheed could yell louder than a Grineer Warship's engines in its startup sequences when she got like this. Finally, after three hours, it all ended. "Dismissed! I'll expect a report in my quarters from both of you... Idiots by tomorrow morning!"

Artorias and Viviane walked away, as Sylpheed stalked to her ship to further inspect her craft for any damages. "Geez, you'd think that she ran this place, the way she throws her weight around. And to think, you're the one who started this place up!"

"I don't really like authority Viviane, you know that."

"No, I don't know, and I wish you'd tell me why, instead of just saying that over and over again."

"We wish a lot of things, Vivi."

Viviane smacked Artorias in the back of his head, in retaliation for shortening her name in public.

"Hey you #@*&$@! I told you not to fuckin' call me that! Least of all in public!" Her stomach suddenly growled. Viviane just realized that she hadn't eaten for a while.

"Hungry eh? Race you to the mess hall then, Vivi." As soon as Artorias finished his sentence, he ducked, spun on his heel, and took off towards where some of the best food to be found in this part of the system was.

A good thing he did too, as where there was once empty space, there was the Valkyr user's anger-filled fist.

"You better start runnin', you fuckin' S#&$head! Or when I catch you, I'm gonna beat the S#&$ out of you!"

His response was to turn his head and stick out his tongue. Viviane, dumbfoundedness on her face for a moment, stood there for about a second. After that second elapsed, a face splitting grin filled with playful malice spread across her cheeks. "Oh you're on you little S#&$!"

They ran, streaks of gold trailing after white. There were times where Viviane nearly caught up with Artorias, only for him to put forth an additional burst of speed. Artorias, due to the mods he had put into his Warframe, was the 'naturally' second quickest of the clan. After their resident Loki, of course. The guys in those Warframes were damnedly fast naturally.

Their Loki however, put mods towards his shielding and running, making him unbelievably light on his feet. Pair these with prolonged Invisibility and Fang Primes, and you only have to let your imagination wander to get just a basic understanding of what Loki was capable of. This Loki also hadn't revealed his name, face, or even talked for that matter, so they just called him Loki. Just nodded and pointed. Artorias thought that was strange, but he trusted Loki. It would be a cold day in hell when he started mistrusting his clan, his family.

Finally, they had made it to the mess hall. The smells of food assaulted Artorias and Viviane's senses, making them forget why they were running and only about one thing. Food. Delicious food prepared by the clan's bronzed twins, the gentle Nyx and explosion obsessed Ember, named Eros and Flagrans, in respective order.

Eros looked up, the bangs of her peach hair, which was in a "French bun" today, barely covering her cyan eyes to see what the commotion was about and spoke to the duo.

"Ah! You came back! I knew you both would, since it was you two together and all."

"Please get out of my head, Eros. Privacy and all that. If you want to know, I'll tell you all about with my voice, not my thoughts"

"Oh, but you have such wonderful thoughts cutie! Or so I'm told by my sis!" The other tanned sister with violet hair in what could best be described as a tail, and violet eyes leaned out, bringing her... voluptuous... figure into view.

And there were the downsides to it all. When Eros became the slightest bit excited, she couldn't control her mind reading powers. The only exception to this rule was when she was in combat, she filed that skill down into a finely honed blade. Sometimes thrown at the enemy. Mostly Grineer.

Eros disliked the Grineer, as she put it.

Then there was Flagrans. She loved explosions, gossip, men, setting things on fire, and blowing things up that were already blown up. In that order. It was well known in the clan that Flagrans was... sexually hungry, to say the least. Unfortunately, the only one who could stand such an ordeal was Loki.

Strange how not even Xeyon, their Frost, was able to handle her. He walked away with burn marks. Only Loki had emerged with not so much as a scratch. Not that Artorias could, or even wanted to tell. Artorias had not tried his hand at bedding Flagrans, nor had he had any desire to.

He was idiotic at times, not insane. One thing everyone agreed on was their cooking skills. Xeyon swore up and down that he had witnessed them turning the infamous widely-used nutrient paste into a smoked ham. Viviane smacking him in the head brought him out of his thoughts. He noticed that Eros was looking at him like he had just started talking Corpus.

"Are you alright Artorias? You seemed ill for a moment. Go see Demeter."

She had that look in her eye that said that there was to be no arguing with her. Not that you could anyway. Her eyes were just too gentle, even when she was being firm. That didn't stop Artorias from trying to get some food before that though

"Yeah, I'm going to go see her now. But I was-"

Eros and Flagrans spoke at the same time, quite eerily.

"No food for you until you've gone to see Demeter."

"Okay, I'm going. No need to threaten me you two. See you later Viviane."

"Okay bye!"

Viviane didn't even wait for him to start walking away before she started saying what she wanted to eat. Meat, so much meat. Oh how he hurt inside. Not being able to eat the twins' food was tantamount to torture. The fact that Viviane didn't even wait made it worse.

Minutes later, Artorias arrived at Demeter's quarters that doubled as the infirmary. It was to "maximize efficiency", she said. Everyone who had ever been examined by her thought that was utter bullS#&$. It was most likely to make sure her patients didn't escape when she slept, if she even slept. He wasn't sure which was scarier.

The thought that she never slept haunted him as much as her invasive practices and her horrifying affinity for sensing injuries among the clan. Like she had some kind of radar for that or something. The only one who didn't have to suffer was Loki. He never received injuries. There was a constant battle between the two, one wanted to examine, the other wanted to stay away.

The only one who really seemed to get along with her and didn't mind the processes would be Eros. Then again, if rocks had feelings and the ability to communicate, they'd get along with her instantly.

"I know you're there Artorias. Come in."

Doctrine@(*()$dammit. He had hoped to-

"Little use sneaking away. There's a good chance you have injuries. Come. In. ...Now."

That sentence pretty much already solidified the notion that she had some kind of near-accurate built-in sensor for injuries. He stepped through the door, and there she was, on that abominable green swiveling chair facing her desk. The three things that everyone feared in conjunction with one another. Behind her honey brown eyes and auburn hair lay a medical examiner who was ruthless, stubborn, and overly-inquisitive.

"Go easy on me will you Demeter? I had hoped to tell Eros and Flagrans what happened as soon as possible, so that Flagrans didn't force Eros to read my thoughts and get anything more than what she should."

"Relax."

That's what she said when she was about to do something very invasive.

Artorias sat on the bed waiting.

"You can get off, I'm prescribing some Asp9X for you to take for migraines and aches, and three days of rest."

Oh thank the the Doctrine.

"But I'm still going to have to examine you further for any other injuries."

Doubledoctrine@(*()$dammit.

"Let's just get this over with..."

"Hold still then."

The honey colored energy of the nanites flowed from the Trinity user to Artorias. The numbness set in as the nanites went to work, examining his body. The nanites sent all the information they gathered directly to Demeter. He hated that feeling. Then it stopped, thankfully.

"Surprising. No fractures, breaks, tears, or over-extended muscles or tendons. Given that you survived a nigh on-target hit from a missile, and were on the outer perimeter of the shockwave of an insanely stupid idea, this information is extremely surprising."

"How did you know what to prescribe me before examination?"

"Your hair. It always sticks up like that when you survive close proximity explosions."

"Guess I know what to stay away from. No chance of that happening though."

"I'd say so."

"Would it kill you to be nice?"

"I am. I'm being honest, while being as nice as I can."

Brutally honest, one might say. A curse and a blessing both.

"But I noticed something else..."

Here it comes.

"You've been thinking about things haven't you?"

Huh?

"People think all the time, Demeter."

"You know what I mean."

She couldn't mean...

A heavy silence permeated throughout the room. Suddenly, Artorias spoke.

"I noticed my thoughts were... wandering"

"If you don't talk about it, its only-"

Then Artorias roared, much unlike his usual self.

"ENOUGH! What I wish to disclose about my past is my own concern! As such, it is mine to hide, lie about, or reveal as I so desire, as is the right of everyone else! If I don't wish to do so now, or thirty years from now, then I won't, and you will respect that! If you cannot adhere to that sanctity as a living Tenno, then do it as a doctor!"

What had been heavy silence moments ago was now barely held killing intent. The sheer weight of it caused the heavy desk to groan and the legs of the beds to flex. The raw power in Artorias' voice knocked back Demeter several feet. Then, as suddenly as it came on, it subsided. Silence, yet again.

Demeter then spoke.

"If that's how you feel, Artorias."

"Thank you, Demeter, and I'm sorry about that. I'd appreciate it if you didn't bring it up again. The past holds nothing but numbness and pain for me. I'd rather not go back there, it's bad enough that I remember it all. What matters to me now is the clan."

He promptly got up and read the instructions to the hand-crafted painkillers. Then he pocketed them.

"Come on doctor, I'll bet you've been holed up in here for more than a bit, and need some food."

"I have not-!"

Demeter and Artorias' stomachs growled in unison. Demeter quickly blushed, Artorias simply laughed.

"Looks like we want food. Lets get back to the twins. I'll bet Flagrans is just about tearing up the mess hall, waiting for the details. Chances are, she's bugged Viviane several times. Equally as possible is that Viviane told her to go away while she tore into the roasted haunch of a Zanuka."

"Or all these things."

"Or all of them, yes."

Oh how right Artorias was. Flagrans was darting from between the kitchen and Viviane, who had meat piled in front of her. And was getting increasingly annoyed.

"No Flagrans! How many times do I have to fu- freakin' say it!? Not until Artorias gets back!"

When Eros was around, she did not appreciate the usage of foul language, no matter who it was from. Viviane eating her curses was hilarious to watch.

"Not even unimportant bits?"

"I was in a pitch black freakin' box, what do you want me to say? It was dark?"

Flagrans suddenly noticed the presence of Artorias and immediately vaulted over the table to get at him. He barely had enough time to put his hands out to stop himself and Flagrans from falling to the floor.

"Please get off, Flagrans!"

"TELL ME NOW!"

It was like watching a Corpus executive with a piece of Orokin technology in front of him, just out of reach. Oh how that would make procuring information from them all the swifter. Unfortunately, that stuff was rare, and certainly didn't grow on trees. ...Did they? The Tenno were never told what those giant, luminescent, white trees did, if anything.

Not that Artorias could remember. Perhaps he did, but-

"Nownownownownownownownownow!!"

"Alright, fine! If you'll get off of me, I'd be happy to oblige!"

Flagrans then straddled his waist.

"Maybe I'll just stay like this. You know, for entertainment's sake."

"I'm hungry."

"Eat me."

"No thanks."

"You're no fun!"

Flagrans pouted, still on top of him. Until Eros spoke.

"Please stop harassing Artorias, sister. He has a point. Both he and the good doctor both need food."

She dismounted him, and sat at the table. Flagrans' eyes were aglint with impatience and curiosity.

Why was Eros the only person no one argued with? Not even Flagrans?

"So, what do you wish to eat, you two?"

Demeter ordered very leafy greens. Artorias ordered a few steaks and a head of lettuce.

If there was one downside to using a Warframe, its that it took a lot of energy just to even wear one. The average amount of calories varied from person to person and Warframe to Warframe. To operate its abilities used even more. There was one advantage to it all. You couldn't get fat.

Essentially, you could order ten steaks, five pies, eat them in one sitting, and wrap it all in bacon. And still need more. So, everyone operating a Warframe was very fit and slim, even people using a utility Warframe.

Artorias then began his story...

Edited by FellArtorias

Three. Hours. Three hours of Sylpheed quite hilariously trying to keep herself from cursing at Artorias for taking her ship, and Viviane for being dumb enough to be caught, all the while her wispy violet hair flying all over. The not so hilarious part of it all was the fact the Sylpheed could yell louder than a Grineer Warship's engines in its startup sequences when she got like this. Finally, after three hours, it all ended. "Dismissed! I'll expect a report in my quarters from both of you... Idiots by tomorrow morning!"

Artorias and Viviane walked away, as Sylpheed stalked to her ship to further inspect her craft for any damages. "Geez, you'd think that she ran this place, the way she throws her weight around. And to think, you're the one who started this place up!"

"I don't really like authority Viviane, you know that."

"No, I don't know, and I wish you'd tell me why, instead of just saying that over and over again."

"We wish a lot of things, Vivi."

Viviane smacked Artorias in the back of his head, in retaliation for shortening her name in public.

"Hey you! I told you not to call me that! Least of all in public!" Her stomach suddenly growled. Viviane just realized that she hadn't eaten for a while.

"Hungry eh? Race you to the mess hall then, Vivi." As soon as Artorias finished his sentence, he ducked, spun on his heel, and took off towards where some of the best food to be found in this part of the system was.

A good thing he did too, as where there was once empty space, there was the Valkyr user's anger-filled fist.

"You better start runnin', you douchecanoe! Or when I catch you, I'm gonna beat the twinkies out of you!"

His response was to turn his head and stick out his tongue. Viviane, dumbfoundedness on her face for a moment, stood there for about a second. After that second elapsed, a face splitting grin filled with playful malice spread across her cheeks. "Oh you're on you little dork-knuckle!"

They ran, streaks of gold trailing after white. There were times where Viviane nearly caught up with Artorias, only for him to put forth an additional burst of speed. Artorias, due to the mods he had put into his Warframe, was the 'naturally' second quickest of the clan. After their resident Loki, of course. The guys in those Warframes were damnedly fast naturally.

Their Loki however, put mods towards his shielding and running, making him unbelievably light on his feet. Pair these with prolonged Invisibility and Fang Primes, and you only have to let your imagination wander to get just a basic understanding of what Loki was capable of. This Loki also hadn't revealed his name, face, or even talked for that matter, so they just called him Loki. Just nodded and pointed. Artorias thought that was strange, but he trusted Loki. It would be a cold day in hell when he started mistrusting his clan, his family.

Finally, they had made it to the mess hall. The smells of food assaulted Artorias and Viviane's senses, making them forget why they were running and only about one thing. Food. Delicious food prepared by the clan's bronzed twins, the gentle Nyx and explosion obsessed Ember, named Eros and Flagrans, in respective order.

Eros looked up, the bangs of her peach hair, which was in a "French bun" today, barely covering her cyan eyes to see what the commotion was about and spoke to the duo.

"Ah! You came back! I knew you both would, since it was you two together and all."

"Please get out of my head, Eros. Privacy and all that. If you want to know, I'll tell you all about with my voice, not my thoughts"

"Oh, but you have such wonderful thoughts cutie! Or so I'm told by my sis!" The other tanned sister with violet hair in what could best be described as a tail, and violet eyes leaned out, bringing her... voluptuous... figure into view.

And there were the downsides to it all. When Eros became the slightest bit excited, she couldn't control her mind reading powers. The only exception to this rule was when she was in combat, she filed that skill down into a finely honed blade. Sometimes thrown at the enemy. Mostly Grineer.

Eros disliked the Grineer, as she put it.

Then there was Flagrans. She loved explosions, gossip, men, setting things on fire, and blowing things up that were already blown up. In that order. It was well known in the clan that Flagrans was... sexually hungry, to say the least. Unfortunately, the only one who could stand such an ordeal was Loki.

Strange how not even Xeyon, their Frost, was able to handle her. He walked away with burn marks. Only Loki had emerged with not so much as a scratch. Not that Artorias could, or even wanted to tell. Artorias had not tried his hand at bedding Flagrans, nor had he had any desire to.

He was idiotic at times, not insane. One thing everyone agreed on was their cooking skills. Xeyon swore up and down that he had witnessed them turning the infamous widely-used nutrient paste into a smoked ham. Viviane smacking him in the head brought him out of his thoughts. He noticed that Eros was looking at him like he had just started talking Corpus.

"Are you alright Artorias? You seemed ill for a moment. Go see Demeter."

She had that look in her eye that said that there was to be no arguing with her. Not that you could anyway. Her eyes were just too gentle, even when she was being firm. That didn't stop Artorias from trying to get some food before that though

"Yeah, I'm going to go see her now. But I was-"

Eros and Flagrans spoke at the same time, quite eerily.

"No food for you until you've gone to see Demeter."

"Okay, I'm going. No need to threaten me you two. See you later Viviane."

"Okay bye!"

Viviane didn't even wait for him to start walking away before she started saying what she wanted to eat. Meat, so much meat. Oh how he hurt inside. Not being able to eat the twins' food was tantamount to torture. The fact that Viviane didn't even wait made it worse.

Minutes later, Artorias arrived at Demeter's quarters that doubled as the infirmary. It was to "maximize efficiency", she said. Everyone who had ever been examined by her thought that was utter bull-testicles. It was most likely to make sure her patients didn't escape when she slept, if she even slept. He wasn't sure which was scarier.

The thought that she never slept haunted him as much as her invasive practices and her horrifying affinity for sensing injuries among the clan. Like she had some kind of radar for that or something. The only one who didn't have to suffer was Loki. He never received injuries. There was a constant battle between the two, one wanted to examine, the other wanted to stay away.

The only one who really seemed to get along with her and didn't mind the processes would be Eros. Then again, if rocks had feelings and the ability to communicate, they'd get along with her instantly.

"I know you're there Artorias. Come in."

Doctrine gosh darn it! . He had hoped to-

"Little use sneaking away. There's a good chance you have injuries. Come. In. ...Now."

That sentence pretty much already solidified the notion that she had some kind of near-accurate built-in sensor for injuries. He stepped through the door, and there she was, on that abominable green swiveling chair facing her desk. The three things that everyone feared in conjunction with one another. Behind her honey brown eyes and auburn hair lay a medical examiner who was ruthless, stubborn, and overly-inquisitive.

"Go easy on me will you Demeter? I had hoped to tell Eros and Flagrans what happened as soon as possible, so that Flagrans didn't force Eros to read my thoughts and get anything more than what she should."

"Relax."

That's what she said when she was about to do something very invasive.

Artorias sat on the bed waiting.

"You can get off, I'm prescribing some Asp9X for you to take for migraines and aches, and three days of rest."

Oh thank the the Doctrine.

"But I'm still going to have to examine you further for any other injuries."

Doubledoctrine bedazzled dammit.

"Let's just get this over with..."

"Hold still then."

The honey colored energy of the nanites flowed from the Trinity user to Artorias. The numbness set in as the nanites went to work, examining his body. The nanites sent all the information they gathered directly to Demeter. He hated that feeling. Then it stopped, thankfully.

"Surprising. No fractures, breaks, tears, or over-extended muscles or tendons. Given that you survived a nigh on-target hit from a missile, and were on the outer perimeter of the shockwave of an insanely stupid idea, this information is extremely surprising."

"How did you know what to prescribe me before examination?"

"Your hair. It always sticks up like that when you survive close proximity explosions."

"Guess I know what to stay away from. No chance of that happening though."

"I'd say so."

"Would it kill you to be nice?"

"I am. I'm being honest, while being as nice as I can."

Brutally honest, one might say. A curse and a blessing both.

"But I noticed something else..."

Here it comes.

"You've been thinking about things haven't you?"

Huh?

"People think all the time, Demeter."

"You know what I mean."

She couldn't mean...

A heavy silence permeated throughout the room. Suddenly, Artorias spoke.

"I noticed my thoughts were... wandering"

"If you don't talk about it, its only-"

Then Artorias roared, much unlike his usual self.

"ENOUGH! What I wish to disclose about my past is my own concern! As such, it is mine to hide, lie about, or reveal as I so desire, as is the right of everyone else! If I don't wish to do so now, or thirty years from now, then I won't, and you will respect that! If you cannot adhere to that sanctity as a living Tenno, then do it as a doctor!"

What had been heavy silence moments ago was now barely held killing intent. The sheer weight of it caused the heavy desk to groan and the legs of the beds to flex. The raw power in Artorias' voice knocked back Demeter several feet. Then, as suddenly as it came on, it subsided. Silence, yet again.

Demeter then spoke.

"If that's how you feel, Artorias."

"Thank you, Demeter, and I'm sorry about that. I'd appreciate it if you didn't bring it up again. The past holds nothing but numbness and pain for me. I'd rather not go back there, it's bad enough that I remember it all. What matters to me now is the clan."

He promptly got up and read the instructions to the hand-crafted painkillers. Then he pocketed them.

"Come on doctor, I'll bet you've been holed up in here for more than a bit, and need some food."

"I have not-!"

Demeter and Artorias' stomachs growled in unison. Demeter quickly blushed, Artorias simply laughed.

"Looks like we want food. Lets get back to the twins. I'll bet Flagrans is just about tearing up the mess hall, waiting for the details. Chances are, she's bugged Viviane several times. Equally as possible is that Viviane told her to go away while she tore into the roasted haunch of a Zanuka."

"Or all these things."

"Or all of them, yes."

Oh how right Artorias was. Flagrans was darting from between the kitchen and Viviane, who had meat piled in front of her. And was getting increasingly annoyed.

"No Flagrans! How many times do I have to fu- freakin' say it!? Not until Artorias gets back!"

When Eros was around, she did not appreciate the usage of foul language, no matter who it was from. Viviane eating her curses was hilarious to watch.

"Not even unimportant bits?"

"I was in a pitch black freakin' box, what do you want me to say? It was dark?"

Flagrans suddenly noticed the presence of Artorias and immediately vaulted over the table to get at him. He barely had enough time to put his hands out to stop himself and Flagrans from falling to the floor.

"Please get off, Flagrans!"

"TELL ME NOW!"

It was like watching a Corpus executive with a piece of Orokin technology in front of him, just out of reach. Oh how that would make procuring information from them all the swifter. Unfortunately, that stuff was rare, and certainly didn't grow on trees. ...Did they? The Tenno were never told what those giant, luminescent, white trees did, if anything.

Not that Artorias could remember. Perhaps he did, but-

"Nownownownownownownownownow!!"

"Alright, fine! If you'll get off of me, I'd be happy to oblige!"

Flagrans then straddled his waist.

"Maybe I'll just stay like this. You know, for entertainment's sake."

"I'm hungry."

"Eat me."

"No thanks."

"You're no fun!"

Flagrans pouted, still on top of him. Until Eros spoke.

"Please stop harassing Artorias, sister. He has a point. Both he and the good doctor both need food."

She dismounted him, and sat at the table. Flagrans' eyes were aglint with impatience and curiosity.

Why was Eros the only person no one argued with? Not even Flagrans?

"So, what do you wish to eat, you two?"

Demeter ordered very leafy greens. Artorias ordered a few steaks and a head of lettuce.

If there was one downside to using a Warframe, its that it took a lot of energy just to even wear one. The average amount of calories varied from person to person and Warframe to Warframe. To operate its abilities used even more. There was one advantage to it all. You couldn't get fat.

Essentially, you could order ten steaks, five pies, eat them in one sitting, and wrap it all in bacon. And still need more. So, everyone operating a Warframe was very fit and slim, even people using a utility Warframe.

Artorias began his story...

Ok! Not the longest or best back story ever, but here it is with more to come. I'm feeling a time crunch on getting this stuff out now, so I hope you all don't get bored of this kind of thing...

Anyway, I hope it's alright and you guys enjoy. I'll try to get something written up on the current collaboration somewhat soon.

In the dark the ceiling no longer looked white, although it still reflected back the dim lights of the computer console off to one side of the room. Acantha couldn’t sleep. Instead, she’d been staring up at the ceiling of her room, seeing patterns and images that weren’t there as her eyes played tricks on her in the dark. One such illusion, an infested charger, danced across her vision for a moment, seemingly running at her in the gloom, and she instinctively closed her eyes against the sight. She rolled over in her bed, tangling herself in the blankets as she buried her head against the mattress and pulled a pillow over her head, trying to block out the visions and fears that kept chasing her away from the refuge of sleep.

She’d heard nothing from her master after her test. He’d dropped her and her brother into the Infested ship without aplomb and then had quickly disappeared to go his own way. Afterwards he hadn’t even bothered to reappear long enough to extract his apprentices; he’d sent someone else to retrieve them in his stead. Acantha was sure she knew the reason why. She’d failed, and he’d been too angry at her for her failure to even want to see her or her brother. It didn’t matter that Matteus had been proud of her and had told her how well she’d done. He was her brother, he had to say things like that, and she knew that it wasn’t her brother that she had to impress, it was her master, and Vaughn was never happy. Acantha had no doubt in her mind that she’d never live up to his expectations, and she was certain that this past and most important test had only been her most spectacular failing of him to date.

She desperately tried not to cry as she burrowed deeper into the warm darkness of her bed, trying to hide from her shame. How could I ever think I could compare to Matteus? She thought miserably, He’s perfect, everything a master could want in an apprentice. And look at me; I’m just a little wisp of a failure, a nothing. I should never have asked to be trained. I’m not good enough to be a Tenno. Despite her struggling against them, tears began to run down her face. She cried for a long time, until her tears ran dry and exhaustion and fear gave way to sleep.

When her alarm rang that morning, just a scant few hours after she had finally fallen asleep, Acantha woke with a pit of dread in her stomach. She tried to ignore the feeling and rolled back over into bed, pulling the covers over her head with a groan. She wondered to herself if it was even worth getting up, considering she was most likely going to be kicked out anyway, but eventually levered herself out from under the blankets and got dressed.

The clothes she pulled on were simple garments, made of undyed and unadorned linen that was cut into unflattering but utilitarian shapes meant to inhibit movement as little as possible. She often got stares from other apprentices because of them. Unlike other masters, Vaughn didn’t believe in levels of apprenticeship. You either were an apprentice, or you weren’t one. As such, neither Acantha nor Matteus had any marks of progress or achievement such as others wore proudly; they simply wore the plain off-white garments of the lowest of apprentices, as if their years of training meant nothing.

After dressing, she went to leave her quarters, only to find a note had been slid under her door; a real, old-fashioned note, written on paper. She stared at it for awhile, nonplussed, before reaching down and picking it up. The note felt odd under her fingers as she unfolded the heavy, textured paper. Paper was expensive and rare, she knew that much, although it’s scarcity was due more to the fact that it was a luxury and not a necessity for most people, and very little of it was still produced, so she wasn’t sure what to expect when she opened it to read what was written on it. It was short, only three words written in a neat hand with almost calligraphy-like script in black ink, “You have passed.”

She stood there in utter shock, her knees wobbling with incredulity and relief, before running to the door of her room, trying not to jump up and down like she was three years old the entire way. She was planning to head for her brother’s quarters but never made it. Standing right outside her doorway was Matteus, and right behind him was Vaughn. Not seeing her master right away she let out an excited squeal and threw herself at her older brother.

“I passed!” she screamed gleefully, nearly knocking him over in her excitement. Her exuberance caused him to drop what he was carrying and stumble backwards, and only a delicate sidestep by Vaughn prevented a collision of all three Tenno. “Can you believe it? I PASSED!”

Her excited outburst was quickly cut off, however. “Yes, despite your egregious lack of discipline, you have passed your examination.” Vaughn’s voice was dry and toneless as he looked disapprovingly at his youngest apprentice.

All the blood instantly drained from her face as she dropped to her feet, released her choke hold on her older sibling, and took several hasty steps backwards so she could bow so quickly as to nearly unbalance and fall over. “Sorry, Master,” she said breathlessly, “I’ll work harder, I promise.”

Vaughn just grunted in response and replaced his helmet on his head, its expressionless visage causing Acantha’s pit of dread to return to her stomach with stunning force. “Come on Master, she deserves to celebrate. She’s done well. You know that even if you won’t admit it.” Matteus was grinning impishly from ear to ear as he looked back at his master. The Excalibur, however, was radiating waves of cold disdain at the girl, and she didn’t have to see his face to know that it was frozen in a glower.

“Enough. Your training with your assigned warframe starts today, girl. Matteus, you will be in charge of teaching her the basics, I don’t have time to mess with beginners. When she achieves some modicum of competency, I will step in. Until then, I have a mission to attend to.” He glanced down at the floor, where what Matteus had been carrying lay scattered at his feet. “Those are yours, girl. Take better care of them than you have shown to your other duties, especially since you have been cleared to accept lower-tier missions. You will accompany each other on anything either of you accepts so that you can garner more experience. Do not disappoint me.”

He strode off without looking back as Acantha scrambled to pick her new possessions up off of the ground. They were a Lato pistol, a Skana long sword, and a MK1 Braton rifle; the standard issue weapons of a beginner.

“Don’t let Master get to you, he’s as proud of you as I am, he’s just too stubborn to say it. Now, are you ready to finally get your warframe?”

She looked up at her brother and nodded nervously, her weapons cradled in her arms. She was still nervous, worried that she may have managed to pass one of her master’s tests only to fail in coming trials, but was also excited. Her weapons, while nothing special, were a badge of accomplishment that she was proud of. She only hoped she would live up to her master’s expectations with them.

Edited by Jeahanne

Ok! Not the longest or best back story ever, but here it is with more to come. I'm feeling a time crunch on getting this stuff out now, so I hope you all don't get bored of this kind of thing...

Anyway, I hope it's alright and you guys enjoy. I'll try to get something written up on the current collaboration somewhat soon.

Excellent! As Always :)