Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightmare Sortie Idea

(PSN)mmcareen

So I had a idea, sortie was originally a end-game idea, that's not the case.  For the most part, sorties are easy, they offer little challenge.  I solo most sorties, which can make them a little bit of a challenge, but that's my choice, in a co-op, sorties are not hard.  Which is why I would like to see a Nightmare Sortie Mode added.

I have spent a few days thinking about this.  It would be a harder version of the sortie, first mission starts at lvl 100, the level increase I haven't really made up my mind if it should stay level 100, increase by 10, or whatever.  Other then that, new debuffs would be added, including some of the ones from nightmare missions.  Debuffs carry over to the next mission.  So Debuff 1 will be in mission 2 and in mission 3 you will have debuff 1, 2 and 3.  This is just something to add a little challenge to the game.

Reward wise, I have been thinking about this as well.  I know some people are looking for a token system.  I'm personally against it, it trivializes something that's so easy to begin with.  This nightmare mode is a little harder though so what I suggest, instead of adding yet another currency to the game (a lot of games mistakes in my option).  Nightmare Sortie, would work like relics.  So if RNG decides you are getting a common drop today, 2000 endo AND a Riven Mod would pop up on the screen, they could even have it as 2000 endo, primary riven mod and second riven mod.  You pick, there is still RNG, no new currency, but you had some control, same as you do with relics.  You RNG a rare drop today, you get your choice from a Exilus Adapter, Forma, Catalyst, or Reactor, but you get to choice.  We can even go as far as if you run nightmare it counts as your regular sortie run as well, but the system for that would stay the same, you are at the mercy of RNGesus for that.

I think it adds a bit of challenge, gives a second chance as something you want daily, and puts a little bit of control our hands as well.  

I am all for this. Sorties are easy and even the toughest can be figured out if you take a minute to plan your strategy.

I specifically like the "Relic style" idea. That way we can actually have a choice in what we want versus constantly up to RNG mercy. Some days I may be fine with 4k endo, but if after 4 days of endo in a row, sorry I start to get a tad salty.

This would allow you to choose your reward based on RNG.

And I'm all for the increased difficulty as I solo most sorties as well. I love a challenge, something to fail at occasionally, regroup, strategize and concur.

Please DE consider this! 

Edited by (PS4)Steelergurl33

I've been thinking about the same. Before I started writing it here I searched for an existing topic with it. And there it is. I'm glad to see others have the same problem with the current sorties (too easy) and would like to see something that's finally challenging.

Reward-wise I could imagine a simple version for a start, like you get a Riven mod for sure and something else with RNG. Or just two rng rewards, it doesn't matter.

Unfortunately there isn't anything endgame content right now. And I don't feel like spending an hour in a mission just to get to lvl 150 where some fun starts. A "Sortie enhanced" could bring some new life to this.

Has been suggested before, and I'm still all for it. Currently sorties are new player content, would be nice to get a harder version.

As to the bracketed reward selection system you're suggesting, I think that might make it a little bit too easy - instead of my daily endo I'd get a daily riven, the only risk is getting a rare reward.

No Rng would still be Rng. You may have a choice of 'Common' rewards one day with riven mods, endo, forma. Next day maybe 'Rare' rewards. Being this type of sortie would be geared toward challenging players, the rewards should balance that.

This way would please more people as it seems most complain about their daily endo reward that they don't need, until they actually need it. Then it'll be complaining they can't get endo to drop🙄 So the option would be there.. endo, forma or Riven today.. whichever you want/need is up to you.. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)Steelergurl33 said:

No Rng would still be Rng. You may have a choice of 'Common' rewards one day with riven mods, endo, forma. Next day maybe 'Rare' rewards. Being this type of sortie would be geared toward challenging players, the rewards should balance that.

This way would please more people as it seems most complain about their daily endo reward that they don't need, until they actually need it. Then it'll be complaining they can't get endo to drop🙄 So the option would be there.. endo, forma or Riven today.. whichever you want/need is up to you.. 

I understood what was suggested, and I maintain my point that it would make obtaining rivens way too easy.

For example, in the past week I got 5x 2k endo, 1 booster and 1 lesser lens from sorties. Overall a waste of time, at least I could trade away the lens for 9p... Now regularly wasting your time on a time gated event that takes up to 30 minutes to complete leaves you with a very bad feeling, that's why I would like to see it changed. But under the system proposed here I'd have walked way with 5 rivens instead, which is half the total amount of rivens I ever got so far. In other words, you are suggesting a massive increase in drop rates for the only reward that many people even run these things for.

That's why I support the token system idea because there the pricing of rewards allows the devs to control how many you can get.

Of course, simply a different drop table for the proposed nightmare sorties, one that is geared towards end-game players, would also go a long way in making these more interesting without having to change the system as such.

Edited by Snib

I think the point here is the 'relic style' reward system for a difficult challenge. Not the actual rewards.. just that there be multiple options, not 1. 

I will run regardless of the reward, because it's something new each day, something different.. 

But that's just me..

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Steelergurl33 said:

I think the point here is the 'relic style' reward system for a difficult challenge. Not the actual rewards.. just that there be multiple options, not 1. 

I think the main point is harder content for better rewards. I think we all agree on that one even if we have different opinions on how to distribute the rewards.

So what you're saying is, you want a Level 200 Elemental Enhancement Physical Enhancement No Shield Mode Assassination. For added fun, let's make the target something completely vexing, like armoured status-immune bosses (CP or three hours of chipping away at them), stealth-ignoring ones pointing right at you for no reason or the always fantastic "I'm just gong to heal more damage than you can do in my tiny windows of vulnerability on a small erratic hitbox" Vay Hek situation.

nope.avi

Sorties are full of cheap, unbalanced enough design as it is, just because you can handle it efficiently through wrought repetition and experience (as can I, for the record) doesn't mean it's actually new-player friendly.

Odds are, whatever you use to trivialise the current Sorties would be similarly effective in this 'nightmare mode' equivalent, it'd just take ten times longer to do it.

Until current Sortie levels can be appropriately balanced - addressing the differences between a Dense Fog reactor-Sabotage and an Enhancement Assassination on the same mission slot making grossly inequal obstacles to climb for the same reward chances - then you really cannot trust that a 'Nightmare Mode' sortie would manage to be anything short of a chore.

We could better use RNG mitigation like the mythical token system on the current sorties as they are, it doesn't need an even more unpleasant slog implementing just to attain that luxury.