Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sortie Guide - How to beat All sorties solo.

Orthelius

Question

The Guide is almost complete, I will replace the amateur screenshots with images showing the mods and exactly what they do. 

Morning Tenno!

Due to a message I received yesterday in-game, I have decided to update my sortie Guide (the last one was from June 2016). 

So, I am going to explain how I beat Every single sortie solo, or I am able to carry entire teams if players are having trouble with a specific mission (Lua Spy sorties for instance).
(Please note, this Guide is not intended for other players who already have their own method of clearing all sorties solo, this is aimed at people who struggle occasionally).

So firstly, you need to understand the conditions you will face within the mission:

Spoiler
Augmented Enemy Shields Enemies have vastly improved shields.

(This will only appear for the Corpus Faction, as such the 'Shield Disruption' Aura that reduces enemy shields can be incredibly effective).

This condition can be bypassed with high damage status weapons modded for Gas, Toxin or Slash damage - these three statuses cause status effects that completely bypass shields. Weapons I can recommend are the Tigris, Dread, Vectis, Broken War, Lex and the Tonkor. Essentially any high damage weapon that can spread status effects will do.

However, keep in mind the effectiveness of finishers - Valkyr's Paralysis, Excalibur's Radial Blind and Mirage's Prism etc all allow enemies to be Finisher-attacked. These attacks do insane damage, and can easily cleave away the shields. Daggers with the 'Covert Lethality' mod can one-shot these enemies anyhow, while weapons with stances that can cause finishers like the Broken War with Crimson Dervish, or Nikanas with Tranquil Cleave are also incredibly effective.
(As reminded by user d3me, this effect also means that Finisher damage is applied directly to the shields, this means you are using it mostly for the damage, not to bypass the shields.)

Augmented Enemy Armour Enemies have improved armour.

(Infested enemies will gain armour, and the effects of the 'Corrosive Projection' Aura are halved. However, that Aura is still the best to take in these missions due to how armour drastically increases the damage needed to be done to kill an enemy. Cutting that down by a % even before encountering the enemy is a fantastic way to begin).

For this condition, Corrosive or a mixture of Viral and Slash are always effective. Corrosive helps to strip away the armour, while Viral and Slash severely decrease the health pool of the enemy, while providing a large damage over time damage effect. Weapons for this are the Tigris, the Soma, the Akstilleto's, the Lecta. 

Finisher attacks too will bypass the armour, which again means that Warframe abilities that lead to blinds or staggers are effective along with weapons with innate Finisher combos.

Cryogenic Leakage Maximum Warframe Shield capacity is halved.

(Ice patches also appear throughout the mission, slowing you if you touch them, this is only annoying but isn't usually too deadly).

For the most part this condition can be ignored, especially if you use a Warframe with lots of health, lots of armour, or a special shield protecting them, like Rhino's Iron Skin or Valkyr's Hysteria. 

Dense Fog The environment is shrouded in fog.

This effect requires no special treatment. Make sure you have an 'Enemy Radar' or equivalent mod (one which allows you to see enemies on the minimap) if you wish to be safer than sorry however. 

Electromagnetic Anomalies Gravity is reduced and Magnetic clouds will appear around the map

(The clouds cause a Magnetic proc which drains your energy and removes all shields, this is more annoying than anything. The clouds will also drag you to their centre, and the whole missions has reduced gravity for the duration).

This effect is also just a bit annoying. Taking a Warframe with high innate defenses or no need for energy (Valkyr, Inaros, Nidus for instance) will allow you to breeze through these clouds. If you wish to practise however, you can also do Sabotage 2.0 missions, except when doing them place the orange power core into the coolant system, this will cause this Condition to appear. 

Enemy Elemental Resistance Enemies have increased resistance to elemental damage.

For this effect, simply taking strong physical damage weapons will invalidate the effects of this Condition. Please note, this will not effect status effects, on the damage of them - so Corrosive is still very much effective, as is Viral. 

Enemy Physical Resistance Enemies have increased resistance to physical damage.

This too is simple in that you will not take an elemental damage weapon - something like the Tonkor or Synoid Simulor decimate here. It will also have no effect on Finisher attacks, meaning Warframe abilities that open for Finishers, and Finisher weapons are especially effective.

Enemy Physical Enhancement

Enemies will deal additional physical damage and have increased resistance to physical damage.

This works similarly to Physical Resistance above, however enemies will also gain a damage boost out of Slash, Puncture or Impact damage. This is a Condition that can be treated exactly like the last, although care should be taken as enemies will have more damage. Warframes like Inaros and Valkyr are still king in this condition type. 

Enemy Elemental Enhancement Enemies will deal additional elemental damage and have increased resistance to 

This too is an effect that can be largely bypassed. If you can survive Elemental Resistance Conditions on enemies, this one should also be fairly simple. 

Energy Reduction Maximum Warframe Energy capacity is quartered.

This effect used to be an issue when it also knocked down energy regeneration speed. As it does not, I would recommend adding a Flow onto your Warframe to counteract the Energy reduction, then bringing the Zenurik focus school with the Energy Regeneration passive, Energy Siphon as your Warframe Aura, or a bunch of Energy pads. This effect is entirely facile nowadays. 

Eximus Stronghold Eximus units spawn more often.

This can be a problem with Infested enemies since they spawn mostly energy leech Eximus units. Narumon is highly effective against these missions, although most Warframes and Weapons will still do the trick as long as they are not massively energy dependant or weak. 

Extreme Cold Mobility is significantly impaired.

(You cannot sprint, and most actions are slowed down, such as reloading or casting).

This Condition can be quite nasty, although take a stealth Warframe, or one that can absorb plenty of damage and you can ignore this effect too. Just keep in mind that you should plan actions ahead as casting and reloading take longer now.

Fire Maximum Health amount is halved, and health regeneration is significantly reduced.

Warframe's like Wukong, Rhino and Valkyr can once again ignore this Condition. The only Warframe who has significant issues is Nidus, due to his reliance on health and health regeneration. 

Low Gravity Gravity is significantly reduced.

The easiest condition to deal with. Take Zephyr if you like hovering.

Radiation Hazard Physical Damage has a chance to proc Radiation effects.

(Radiation bubbles similar to the ones in the Electromagnetic Anomalies Condition will appear around the map and will cause Radiation procs if you enter them).

This effect is only nast if you are playing a Defense mission or with allies. For both you should be extremely careful not to damage to Defense operative, or for ally abilities.

One Weapon Type Only Only a single type of weaponry can be used and carried.

This can be for Shotguns, Sniper Rifles, Bows, Assault Rifles, Secondary Weapons or Melee Weapons. For all you should pick a Warframe that you feel works best with whatever weapon you enjoy most in those categories. For me, any Primary weapons, or Secondary weapons I will use Mesa for. If it is a melee weapon, I will use Valkyr. 

For each mission type it is important to immediately recognise what Warframe you need to get everything done in the most efficient and fastest way possible. The longer you spend in mission, the more chance there is of something going wrong.

So for the mission types:

Interception:

Spoiler

unknown.png

For the most part I run this build during Interception missions. Rhino has the unique ability in Warframe now, to stop the entire map. His 4 can be built for range in order to completely decimate any enemy attempt to capture the Interception objectives. He has a 62.5 metre panic Stomp able to cover an entire map and stop all enemies in their tracks for 12 seconds, at the cost of 25 energy a pop.

unknown.png

unknown.png

The weapons are completely up to the player, however I use the Jat Kittag as a cheap form of CC if I feel using my 4 is a waste of energy. The Akstilleto Prime are an easy way to strip enemies of armour, while the Tigris Prime is a panic 'kill that thing immediately' button. 

If you combine this build with the Zenurik Focus school, you are able to regenerate more Energy than you use to cast Rhino's 4. This allows you to not worry about Energy, not worry about enemies and not worry about the mission.

Defence:

Spoiler

unknown.png

For Defence missions nowadays I only ever take Mesa. Due to how strong she is, and how weak Ash has become at a mob destroying monster, Mesa has become top dog in this regard. As her 4 now scales with Secondary mods, her 3 allows her to have 95% damage resistance at range, and her 2 provides her with a stellar damage buff, Mesa is now my go-to Warframe for Defence missions. 

unknown.png#

unknown.png

As Mesa is only really reliant on her Secondary mods you can take whichever Secondary you so desire, as well as any other weapons - for me I choose the Akstilleto Prime with this setup:

unknown.png

As you can see, this build is focusing on critical chance and critical damage. This is due to how insanely well Mesa's 4 scales with both. There is not a single sortie Condition that will stave off the damage this build can do. Mesa's only danger is sitting in melee range and allowing her third ability to wear off.

Survival:

Spoiler

For me, this mission depends on the Condition - if it is a single weapon only mission, I will probably choose between Mesa and Valkyr, depending on if it is melee only, or secondary or primary only.

As I have already shown my Mesa build I will now show my Valkyr build - this can be entirely replaced by any Naramon build people have. Naramon is extremely effective, however I do not use it, for the simple reason of: I do not enjoy invisibility.

unknown.png

unknown.png

As Hysteria scales with melee mods, and is an invaluable tool when dealing with tough, high damage enemies due to its invincibility effects, I almost always take the following mod setup - this allows Valkyr to mow down all survival enemies in melee mode, then pop out, tank some damage, regain some energy and continue fighting at any time. 

MeleeMods.png

Excavation:

Spoiler

For Excavation there are only really two Kings of solo play - Frost and Nova. Of the two Frost, is the more safe option, due to his ability to completely halt any enemy attacks against the Excavators with his Globe. 

unknown.png

When taking Frost I have slowly shifted into a CC directed build focusing on Frost's 4, Avalanche with the new Augment. His bubble is still fantastic, but I now use it to support my build, rather than as a crutch to rely on. The Dera Vandal I take only due to the Riven mod I have present on it, allowing it to strip enemy armour faster than any other weapon I have. The Sonicor and Jat Kittag are simply easy sources of extra Crowd Control.

unknown.png

unknown.png

Sabotage:

Spoiler

As Sabotage is arguably the easiest mission type, I do not have a specific build here. I simply take whatever suits the mission. If enemies are tough, I might forgo fighting and take Loki or Ivara to bypass them. If the mission has the Fire Condition, then I will take something Tanky, like Valkyr, Frost or Rhino.

Spy:

Spoiler

For Spy I will mostly run Valkyr, simply because she is my most well practised Warframe - her 4 also allows you to focus on getting to the Vaults instead of taking enemy damage. However, for players getting used to the vaults I would recommend Loki or Ivara, simply due to the ability to go invisible and sit there - planning out your next move.

unknown.png

For Loki I would take: 

unknown.png

unknown.png

Exterminate:

Spoiler

Exterminate falls under the same rules I place survival under - what Condition is present? If it is a Primary or Secondary condition only, I may take Nidus or Mesa, if it is melee only, I will take Valkyr.

Rescue:

Spoiler

Rescue is the same as Sabotage - take whatever you are most comfortable with, and something you don't mind taking damage with. (Take a strong Secondary however, hand it to the Rescue Operative and let them back you up).

Hijack:

Spoiler

For these missions a few choices can be made:
- Nyx - she can CC all enemies to a lesser degree and has quite large shields. Her new 4 Augment also allows her to walk while remaining invincible, so she is a perfect choice right now. 
- Frost - he can plant Bubbles and use his ice to slow enemies down while protecting the core.
- Ember - she can walk alongside the core while using her 4 to cc all enemies nearby, sometimes using her 2 as well for extra control.

However, what I would advise most is Inaros. Inaros is perfect. As Inaros has no shields, he was changed to allow his health to drain while he drives the core - this is perfect as he can also then use his 1 to Crowd Control enemies, then head over to them, Finish attack them and regenerate a huge amount of health. His 4 allows him to build up insane levels of armour, and his huge health pool means nothing will one-shot him.

unknown.png

My build for Inaros is:

unknown.png

unknown.png

Another tactic I have found, that may actually come under 'exploits' is to use Valkyr and the Operative you can summon after The War Within Quest. Once you find the Hijack objective transform into your Operative state - the Hijack objective will now take health from the Operative, however the Operative does not actually lose any health. This essentially means you have an unlimited power core for the Hijack objective to feed off of. You can play this especially well if you manage to use Guardian Derision to get Valkyr to attract all enemy attention, then leave her behind the Hijack objective. The enemies will stay around her, and you can cruise to the finish line undisturbed.

Assassination:

Spoiler

For Assassination missions I will go through them separately as each boss is different, and should be approached differently:

For Bosses such as Vor, Phorid, Ambulus, Alad V, Jackal, Hyenas, Khela De Thaym, The Sergeant, Tyl Regor and Mutalist Alad V - I would advise running the Valkyr build I showcased in the Survival section of this Guide - as these bosses do not Really have specific tactics for killing them you can hop into Hysteria, spin to win, and all will die in a few seconds. 

For the 'harder' bosses however, I would advise taking the Loki I showcased in the Spy section of this Guide, with a Tigris Prime build setup like this: 

unknown.png

This Viral + Radiation build is especially effective verses the new Raptor boss fight, as it allows you to easily destroy them, while also attracting enemy attention To the bosses themselves. The Tonkor can also be used due to it's ridiculously high damage, but due to the projectiles it can be more difficult to land a hit. 

This build is also effective verses: General Sargus Ruk, Lieutenant Lech Kril, Lephantis and Vay Hek. 

Edited by Orthelius

8 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Orthelius said:

Weapons I can recommend are the Tigris, Dread, Vectis, Broken War, Lex and the Tonkor. Essentially any high damage weapon that can spread status effects will do.

You should add the akstiletto prime and staticor to this list. You don't have many secondaries here, and these two are easier to get than pistols like the vaykor marelok. The staticor, especially, does an absurd amount of damage if modded for gas.

35 minutes ago, Orthelius said:
Electromagnetic Anomalies Gravity is reduced and Magnetic clouds will appear around the map

(The clouds cause a Magnetic proc which drains your energy and removes all shields, this is more annoying than anything. The clouds will also drag you to their centre, and the whole missions has reduced gravity for the duration).

This effect is also just a bit annoying. Taking a Warframe with high innate defenses or no need for energy (Valkyr, Inaros, Nidus for instance) will allow you to breeze through these clouds. If you wish to practise however, you can also do Sabotage 2.0 missions, except when doing them place the orange power core into the coolant system, this will cause this Condition to appear. 

I believe that with a magnetic modded weapon one can shoot the anomalies and cause them to disappear briefly, allowing safe passage through them if they are blocking a hallway or something.

Really helpful, I don't have all those specific mods or warframes, but the general idea helps.

I just beat the war within and was thinking of doing some sorties over the next week, and between my Nidus, Frost, Saryn Prime, Nova Prime, Limbo, and Trinity Prime, I can come pretty close to most of those builds. 

This is pretty great! I've been hesitant to do Sorties because I don't want to screw up, but this makes me a little more confident. Thanks for the work!

(Apologies for Necro)

Edited by Krullman

3 hours ago, Krullman said:

This is pretty great! I've been hesitant to do Sorties because I don't want to screw up, but this makes me a little more confident. Thanks for the work!

(Apologies for Necro)

The OP put a ton of thought and effort in and no one read it because of our short attention spans.  Since he wrote it I've found that Mesa is the answer to nearly everything.