Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PC crashing when playing Warframe

DevereM

Question

I've been playing Warframe for few years now and just recently (after changing GPU from Radeon HD 7750 to RX 470) the game decides to black screen and freeze the entire PC to the point where I need to restart it while audio behaves like I just had extreme case of bluescreen. I have checked other games, issue is only present in Warframe, so it's not my hardware. I'm running latest stable drivers from AMD.

13 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, DevereM said:

I've been playing Warframe for few years now and just recently (after changing GPU from Radeon HD 7750 to RX 470) the game decides to black screen and freeze the entire PC to the point where I need to restart it while audio behaves like I just had extreme case of bluescreen. I have checked other games, issue is only present in Warframe, so it's not my hardware. I'm running latest stable drivers from AMD.

Do you have directx? To check, type "dxdiag" in Run without putting ". and if you have, check if it's enabled in your Warframe launcher options.

13 minutes ago, MillbrookWest said:

Did you do a clean install of the video drivers?

Yes, I did

11 minutes ago, elitetrollz said:

Do you have directx? To check, type "dxdiag" in Run without putting ". and if you have, check if it's enabled in your Warframe launcher options.

Yes I have, DX12, and yes, I have it enabled.

10 minutes ago, Weidro said:

sounds like a typical case for support
they should be able to help you more than anyone else here

Gonna write to support later today if I won't have solution from community, thanks for advice!

If you are overclocking try reducing back to stock settings.

Have you go vsync on? If not try enabling it. Warframe runs very well and without a vsync to cap the framerate the game will just render as fast as it can which is likely to push the GPU temperature up since it is working 100% flat out.

Is your PSU powerful enough for the card?

I would try removing the GPU driver and trying an older one to see if that helps too as I have heard that the latest Crimson drivers can be a bit flaky. I'm certain what you are seeing is a driver issue but the above is worth checking too.

51 minutes ago, elitetrollz said:

Or maybe try to Verify and Optimize download cache from your Warframe launcher. 

I'll try soon.

45 minutes ago, Shalath said:

If you are overclocking try reducing back to stock settings.

Have you go vsync on? If not try enabling it. Warframe runs very well and without a vsync to cap the framerate the game will just render as fast as it can which is likely to push the GPU temperature up since it is working 100% flat out.

Is your PSU powerful enough for the card?

I would try removing the GPU driver and trying an older one to see if that helps too as I have heard that the latest Crimson drivers can be a bit flaky. I'm certain what you are seeing is a driver issue but the above is worth checking too.

I doubt it's about overclocking, but sure, I can try.

Vsync is on and GPU temp is 56 degrees celsius, just as I planned it to work (by making fan activate at certain temperatures)

PSU is more than enough for the card and rest of the PC, I had to send previous one (that I bought with GPU) back to manufacturer because it wasn't powerful enough (and besides it wasn't well-made either...)

Actually, I used latest Crimson drivers on previous GPU and I haven't had any issues with Warframe, I doubt that's the case...

Edited by DevereM

18 hours ago, DevereM said:

Yes, I did

You did the whole "Boot into safe mode. Run DDU. Boot back into windows normal. Install new driver. Restart"? Just checking.

Your system locking up is usually an indication that hardware is having issues. Programs run within the Windows environment, so they need to be made specifically badly to make the hardware lock up. Windows has gotten really good over the years of detecting a faulty app, and recovering from the issue.

7 hours ago, MillbrookWest said:

You did the whole "Boot into safe mode. Run DDU. Boot back into windows normal. Install new driver. Restart"? Just checking.

Your system locking up is usually an indication that hardware is having issues. Programs run within the Windows environment, so they need to be made specifically badly to make the hardware lock up. Windows has gotten really good over the years of detecting a faulty app, and recovering from the issue.

I didn't do it that way, although, as I said, the only game that's having issues is Warframe, I'd expect other games to have problems too, but that's not the case... I might reinstall drivers completely once I've got time.

1 hour ago, elitetrollz said:

you better try it anytime as possible.. it might save ur lyfe

I did, didn't work, still crashing, although less often.

EDIT: Just as I wrote that my PC crashed. I had Warframe in background this time though and I could see the bluescreen, sadly didn't have enough time to make a picture of it. Seems like driver issue, from what I managed to read... I'm curious though, why only Warframe has problems like that, but not other games?

Edited by DevereM

8 hours ago, DevereM said:

I didn't do it that way, although, as I said, the only game that's having issues is Warframe, I'd expect other games to have problems too, but that's not the case... I might reinstall drivers completely once I've got time.

When you switch out video cards, it's generally a good idea to do a clean install. While the new GPU will work, it may have issues under certain circumstances. As the case may be with warframe.

Removing the old drivers allows you to remove any reference to the old card. Meaning programs only see the new card in the OS. If you have leftover references to the old card, an app may assume it can boot with that card, but it can't since it isn't plugged in.

1 minute ago, MillbrookWest said:

When you switch out video cards, it's generally a good idea to do a clean install. While the new GPU will work, it may have issues under certain circumstances. As the case may be with warframe.

Removing the old drivers allows you to remove any reference to the old card. Meaning programs only see the new card in the OS. If you have leftover references to the old card, an app may assume it can boot with that card, but it can't since it isn't plugged in.

I said earlier that I did clean installation of drivers, through AMD driver installation tool, not like you said in earlier post. 

I had the same problem in March 2016 when I went from a 770 to a 970.  Warframe would lock up my computer or BSOD every 20-50mins but I could play GTA 5 for hours with no problems.  Since I picked my case up, put it on a table, cleaned it up, installed the new card I decided to hand check ALL the cables but I still had the problem.  I then reseated the card and I still had the problem, I reseated my RAM and never had the problem since.  I have no idea why.

BTW you never said what OS you have, only Win10 supports DX12 so if you don't have Win10 then you're using 10 or 11.  In the launcher you can disable one or the other to force the game to run on what you choose so if you uncheck DirectX 10 it'll force it to run in 11, if you disable both 10 and 11 it will run in 9.