Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Guide to Riven Value

Ruby_Rose_

Question

Clan Chat, Forums, Region, Trade chat, everywhere since 'The War Within' patch, the question I aim to help a lot of you be able to answer easier, by essentially being able to do your own price checks is.. "What is my Riven Worth?" and being able to put this information to good use. I will try to avoid direct pricing numbers, as prices are always subject to change.

To start this off, let me quickly go over what the rest of this short guide will cover.

1. Options for your Rivens (Not Stats!)
  2. Determining Base Value
  3. "Is it worth re-rolling to sell?"
  4. Ideal stats
  5. Putting It All Together (Marketing your Riven)

Options for your Rivens

Once you first get a Riven, you immediately have two options; Unveil, or sell veiled. This is a pretty basic Risk Vs Reward choice. Not all Rivens are created equal, and thus some or just more powerful, desirable and of course, valuable. You can get any of three types of Rivens; Pistols, Rifles and Shotguns.

Shotguns are a straightforward answer these are the ones you will almost always want to open, unless you fancy yourself the unlucky sort. With a limited "Pool" of only 10 options, and only 2 or 3 being considered "bad weapons", your odds are pretty high to get something that's at least sellable already. I've seen plenty of demand for all but the Sweeper and Convectrix in this pool of weapons, and low demand for Strun for the most part.

Pistols and Rifles however, both have a much larger pool to draw from, with quite a few oddball weapons that are either low demand or almost unsellable. There are a lot of very high demand weapons here as well, though some will mostly only sell as Unrolled ("Fresh"), or ones with decent stats up to the "godly".

The last options we have to talk about are the potential Roll Variations. Each Riven is capable of having UP TO 4 stats modified at any time, with a maximum of three positive and one negative. Let's talk about probability a small bit, just to get the idea of what it'd take to get a riven roughly based on what you'd want.

There are only 4 variations you can get for a riven, as far and positive and negative layouts; two positive, two positive and a negative, three positive and three positive and a negative. Given no weighting exists, this means there is a 25% chance to get any of these variations. Out of these variations you'd want one of the ones that HAS a negative. Why? Because it boosts the positive values higher! Also worth noting, if your "perfect riven" would only increase two stats, two positives with a negative would be best. The the addition of a third positive results in a lower roll for all three!

Each Riven is then capable of choosing up to four stats, out of a pool of twenty-four. Again assuming no weighting here, the chances will look pretty grim. All of the percentages below are rounded.

• A Riven with just one desired stat would be a simple 1/24 odds, or ~4.1% 
  • A Riven with two desired stats would be 1/552 odds... or ~0.001812%
  • A Riven with three stats would be 1/12,114 odds, or ~0.00008235%
  • PERFECT  four roll Riven would be  1/255,024 odds, or ~0.000003921%

Also keep in mind, these percentages also do not account for the "tiers" of the rolls themselves. As each stats rolls a value within a certain range or ranges. There isn't a ton of clear information out there, but from the looks of it, it's assumed to be one large fixed range.

Determining Base Value / "Is it worth re-rolling?"

Okay, now that the rather terrifying chances and such are out of the way. Let move on to something more interesting and easier to look at, your actual riven. Now for me personally, trading at least a few rivens daily.. I typically determine their value Based on these generic factors...

1. Weapon Popularity. Easy to understand why, a more popular weapon is likely to have more buyers.
  2. Riven Disposition. This is essentially a "power rating" for lack of a better way to put it. Faint weapons tend to be very weak rivens, yet sell well due to their raw power without one. Some just sell better because of a Neutral or Strong Disposition.
  3. Availability. More or less how many of them you can see in trade chat
  4. Roll Specifics. Basically, how many decent stats it needs to make for an easy sell, usually at least two.

From these four things, you're usually able to gauge what a riven for a specific weapon is worth. With this though, we can dive into whether or not we should re-roll or not.

First, and most importantly, Weapon Popularity. If a weapon isn't in demand, it may not sell without a perfect set or near-perfect set of rolls. This means you will probably have to spend a significant amount of Kuva to make it marketable in the first place. So if you don't see WTB's for it on a regular basis, hold off until it's one of the last ones you have to roll to actually do so. Kuva is plentiful, but it's better to take what Kuva you do get and make sure it gets used in the most efficient way possible.

Then to look at the Riven Disposition itself. Most weapons are either Strong or Faint, with little having Neutral Rivens. Even if a Weapon isn't directly in demand, Strong Dispositions always have bigger numbers, which seem to draw more people; especially with weapons that appeal to some, but just go unused due to more popular/stronger options. Typically, Faint Rivens tend to sell the best and are usually the most worth rerolling, as most of them are "meta weapons". So when trying to determine by disposition, keep that in mind and roll with discretion.

Now you should have a Riven chosen at this point that you want to try to roll. Before you do, take a look at trade chat. Try to see how often you see Rivens for that weapon mentioned by different people, both WTB and WTS. Depending on which you see more of should help you decide if you want to roll that weapon. But this can also be regarded as unimportant usually, which is why it's listed pretty much last here.

While you're still in trade chat looking around, pay attention to those mods, and look at the stats they have and compare them against the actual weapon. Now look at the asking price; if one isn't listed, ask the seller how much they want for it. Now everyone may value stats differently, but there should be a moderate correlation between a specific roll(s) and the price. This will help you learn what stats would be good if you don't know off-hand.

With all of that in mind now, you should have a decent estimate for a price range. Use this price range to determine whether or not rolling for similar stats would be worth trying for you. If they're already similar, this shouldn't even be a decision!

Rolling for Ideal Stats

First, for stat's let's cover my personal tiers of stats, or at least how I rate them. This does vary by weapon obviously, but I'll try to be as generic as possible. I will give an example afterwards.

• Top Tier: Damage, Multishot, Fire Rate
    • These Rolls are generally good on most weapons, although fire rate isn't always necessary on most weapons it's still a nice bonus.
  • High Tier: Crit Chance, Crit Damage, Elementals, Status Chance
    • These rolls are also pretty good by themselves, but usually require one of the Top Tier rolls to work effectively.
  • Mid Tier: Physical, Status Duration, Punch Through, Flight Speed, Factions
    • These are the rolls that are pretty dependent on stuff from higher tiers to be present. Flight Speed is here for projectile weapons only.
  • Low Tier: Ammo Max, Magazine, Reload, Recoil
    • These are quality of life rolls. they're not absolutely useless, but usually aren't desired either out side of a few certain weapons, the Angstrum + Magazine as an example.
  • "Please Be Negative" Tier: Zoom
    • This Stat has zero relevancy outside of Sentinel mods, where it increases their range. All non sentinel weapons welcome zoom as a negative very easily, especially snipers.

So what should you be looking for out of these? I'll use a Javlok as an example, as it's an odd weapon that could be used in a few ways. I'll pick stats around three scenarios. Can't say it'll be exciting, but it'll give a good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Scenario 1: Primary Fire Critical Build

So we'll build it around crits with the primary fire. So what do we know about the Primary Fire? It has a slight charge time, slow-ish projectile but deals decent damage. If we want to go for the highest raw damage possible, we obviously want Damage, Crit Chance and Crit Damage.. But given the odds of that happening, we can easily settle for at least crit chance and crit damage. So other than damage, what would fit in that third positive stat that would help? Multishot is the next obvious one. An elemental would work as well. Status chance would allow for more procs of statuses like Gas to add the AoE it lacks. Flight Speed and Punchthrough could also help as more quality of life options

It's less about making it perfect than it is about making it worthwhile to use.

Scenario 2: Primary Fire Status Build

This time, we'll look at Status instead of crit. Obviously the main things we want here are Damage and Status Chance. What about Status Duration? It's a good option, but situation. It;s great for DoT effect like Heat or Gas or debuffs like Viral or Radiation, but does nothing for Corrosive or impact which instant effects that don't have a duration tied to them. The best option for the third slot here would be Multishot. More projectile means more procs. More procs can easily mean more damage if using Gas, or more armor shred via corrosive. Good alternatives again would be fire rate and flight speed. 

Scenario 3: Secondary Fire Status AoE Build

Okay, this is a bit of an oddity here as an example. This is a build where you'd probably want both crit AND status. The obvious filler stats here would be Damage or Crit damage. Flight speed could be amazing here as well, letting you throw it farther and hit more people in a line. Elementals could also be great for setting up specific elemental combos. This particular setup also has the benefit of not really caring about ammo or reload, so it also has more options for things you could willingly make a negative.

So why do I go through these examples of these builds if they really don't seem to help? To try to make a small point. There are many ways to actually use some weapons in the game. Make sure you consider all the possibilties when rolling a riven, you may roll away something someone else might be willing to use.

Putting It All Together

We're nearing the end of this guide now. So now how do we take our newly crafted riven and determine what its value is and sell it for what it's worth? This is the tricky part for most people. So let's actually throw out a bit of a baseline here and collect everything we know and try to figure it out. As an example, let's use a fairly popular weapon, the Synoid Simulor.

Its popularity and raw power it has are well-known. So right off the bat, it meets 2 of your Basic Factors, Popularity and Disposition. This inherently make it worth a bit more than the typical riven. Most rivens currently range around 40-75 plat, with this being sought after, can expect a reasonable base price to be around 80-100, maybe more to the right person. You don't seem them all too often in trade chat either, with them being bought rather quickly in most cases.

But now comes the interesting part, how many stats can it roll, that would be desirable? Let's see. I believe a perfect one in most cases would probably be Damage, Crit damage and maybe Fire Rate, not super familiar with the weapon myself. Obviously Elements are good as well, because it's more damage. Crit Chance could probably be decent, but it's not a high crit chance weapon, so the damage would likely be preferred. Now what about the ones it could roll as that negative? Zoom and Recoil already don't matter for this weapon. It's a Purely Elemental weapon, so any negative to the physical damage it doesn't have wouldn't be bad. It's status chance is pretty low, so negative to either status or status duration would be tolerable as well.

So, out of the 24 possible stats, we have 8 good options for possible positive to make it sell, with several more that would be okay if they happened. We also have at least 7 stats that could be negative without suffering any losses. So it should be easy enough to get a marketable roll with little catastrophes.

So just to continue the example, say we decide on a 100 base value. Let's give a quick estimate on what it could potentially be worth in different "stages" of rolling:

1. Base Stage - Fresh mod, no decent rolls, mostly QoL or just bad ~100p
  2. Rollin' Stage - Some rolls, at least one good roll, rest terrible or QoL - ~150-200p
  3. Uphill Stage - More rolls, up to two good stats! Shame that negative hurts - 250-300p
  4. Making Progress - Terrible Negative is gone! Still looking to fill that last postive to something better - 350-400p
  5. Almost - Got Three good positives, the negative came back though and isn't friendly... - 400-450p
  6. Top Tier! - Three decent stats, not so hurtful negative - 450-500p
  7. "God-like" - Good rolls for all stats - 600p+

So let's just say that we've rolled somewhere in the middle of those "tiers" how do we market it effectively, which getting the fair amount and not getting you insulted by random people for calling it godly when it's not? Let's assume it'd be a Tier 4, two decent positives, with a meh third and a tolerable negative. For the sake of clarity, let's say it rolled Damage and Fire Rate, with Reload Speed as a third and negative status duration.  You could say something along the lines of " WTS Great Simulor Riven [Simulor Visi-Cronitak] (+ Damage + Fire Rate). PM Offers!"

Notice the fact we didn't list a price. This is for a few reasons. It prevent you from accidentally selling it for less than it's actually worth, while also getting people interested in it PMing you prices. It's worth noting that same stats might be worth more or less to other people, so never take the first offer you get if you get a lot of them! We could also do without trying to "tier it" at all and leave great out of the message. But the main reason you want to leave price off the table immediately is you may get more than what you originally wanted.

So, hopefully though all of this, you now should have a decent grasp on how you can price your own Rivens! If you're not sure on the specifics of a weapon, feel free to ask around to people you know, or heck PM if you want. ^-^ I Apologize if this got drawn out a bit. I was trying to keep it relatively short, while hopefully making it as informative as possible!

For the Lazy Ones (TL;DR)

1. Know your Weapons.
  2. Know the potential in non-perfect rolls
  3. Learn the market for certain weapons before even rolling.
  4. Stop Calling 1-2 good roll Rivens Godly, you're not fooling anyone.
  5. Thanks for Reading <3
  6. You should be out selling Rivens now. 

7 answers to this question

I think of it like this: It's all about the weapon.  

Unrolled Rivens go for 50p or more.  Most weapons are trash and their Rivens will be worth much less than 50p.  (Just using rifles as an example: Panthera, Flux Rifle, Hind, etc.) Some weapons are good and are worth between 50 to 100p.  (i.e. Supra, Braton, Quanta.) A few weapons are super meta or popular and are worth much more (i.e. Tonkor, Soma, Ignis, Zarr, Simulor, brand new guns like Hema.)

I wouldn't even start considering stats unless the riven is from the later group.

Edited by (XB1)ThermalStone

Yeah pretty much, but right now, at least PC side, 50 is the min for any riven really. Even the ones nobody really likes.

It really does come down to the weapon most times, but I've sold some pretty odd rivens before, I doubt those will be the last either.

Mostly correct. Few caveats: Crit damage is far superior stat then raw damage, for crit weapon. For unrolled /unveiled rivens general price is 50 plat (rifle, secondary) and shotgun rivens are 150-200P. Rivens that are especially difficult to activate or that are for extremely unpopular weapons like sentinel weapons price can be 5-20P. For most of rivens with somewhat solid rolls price is indeed up to 500P.

Exceptions would be extremely popular wepons with perfect rolls (dread, tonkor, cernos, soma ....) in that case value is impossible to determine but in some cases it may be 2-3K plat. 

I saw guy asking 32K plat once even but that was best riven (soma) I ever seen, really. 

And don't call your rivens "godlike" unless they are truly, really godlike (like multishot, crit damage, crit chance combined) 

Oh one more thing, recoil can be desirable too on single shot /launcher weapon types, i have it negative on my zarr and I don't perceive any difference. 

The player base should really stop pretending that there's any sort of functional standard for Riven mods.

...That or they should become better acquainted with the damage system to understand what the rolls actually mean for each weapon.

+%Damage is not always better than +%Crit and three stats is not always better than two stats. There will  never be a standard for about half the weapons in the game because they can be built different way to suit a purpose.

Hey, I was thinking I should let you know that I referenced your guide in another post. It's here: 

The riven market is a really fascinating one. It took me a while to get a handle on the prices, although now they make sense to me. I find it funny how people will pay top dollar for items outside of a competitive game. I can think of a few reasons: 1. Quality of life. People just want to be able to kill the bosses that much faster. 2. Record breaking (personal or global). Going long in survival could be aided slightly by a riven. 3. Vanity. Some people probably want to see that they dealt the most damage at the end of a match. I'm totally guilty of this.

Anyway, just a random thought on how these prices get driven. I've got a bit of a Melvin Mood to me so just playing with the mechanics of rivens is enjoyable in its own right.