Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Endless Mission, Sortie-Style

(XBOX)CannyJack

To set the stage: I find endless missions to be very monotonous after about one rotation or two, even though the "good" rewards are usually gated at the 4th rotation. I understand that you gotta grind what you gotta grind, and I do, but it can be...tedious.

I was thinking about the "chained" missions of the Sorties, and wondering if there was any potential there for sortie-pattern endless missions. Basically, instead of doing 5 waves of defense, followed by 5 waves of defense, followed by another 5 waves of (you guessed it) Defense, instead just chain different mission types - a Spy mission followed by a Rescue followed by a Defense. Keep the reward process the same, where each rotation you get a reward and (usually) the option to bail out, but have one mission lead directly to the next.

I'm sure there are issues - when you don't know what the mission will be, you can't "tune" your loadout as well or you may feel like "well I'll just bring my best all-rounder, and now I'm bored because I like switching it up to adjust for missions," and there would be loading time in between, and so forth. I dunno - for me, it seems like it would get old a little slower. Thoughts?

Rather than sortie type you mean trial(raid) type deal but with sortie randomizer. It would be an interesting mission type indeed randomizer endless you go in with your one loadout and stay as long as you can with the constantly changing mission type. It wouldnt be boring unless you "gear for boring" but it would be fun to do never knowing whats next.

Yeah, I wasn't sure what the right description would be - basically, just a string of different missions, but all part of the same "endless" sequence.

It would make the most sense if it was one planet, I guess, but then I don't think it needs to make much sense - it would just be there to change things up a bit. 

Your idea is not bad, but because u need to generate tileset and spawnpoint in surv and other mission of the same fashion i think it's better:

Surv->Mobile Def-> surv->Sabotage->surv->mobile defense->surv->surv->surv->mobile defense->surv->surv->surv mobile defense and so on

Defense->Mobile Defense->Spy (with a possibility to roll ur relic for every point hacked)->defense-> and repeat.

Limit it with a mission tree don't jumble them all in a mission, it will only restrict the loadout u can bring. Use similar mission in succession, and use mission where the objectives are static togheter, while others more dinamic and with a need of more tileset bound so you will have less problem.

my two cents

I've always wanted some kind of side objective that would have additional rewards. For example, you're doing a survival and at some point lotus transmit you that she found important data that you can go and hack (spy). At some point she could say, I found out an important figure is nearby, if you have time capture it. Even just a new mission were 3 objective are chosen at random in the beginning: hack to find out about X objectif location, console timed defense, capture, survival is active for all objective, rescue just a big mix and match of other modes.

Of course I'm just going by my experience as a player and all but I honestly don't think it would even be that difficult to chain mission types together.

Spy vaults are just extra rooms tacked onto normal tilsesets, MD consoles are present in pretty much every tileset already, just requires activation.  Sabotage would the pretty tricky but it doesn't have to be a reactor really, they could reverse the MD missions and have us attack super beefed up consoles or something.

They could even throw in the occasional interception point or two that requires a holding for a certain period of time before we move on.

Most mission types could probably be chained together all in the same tileset in most cases.  Though a change of scenery would be nice occasionally either way.

As for defense, they could make it the operative style defense rather than the cryopod version and really those could be held on any tileset, they just always seem to use the normal defense only tilsesets to make it easier on spawns and waves. Of course there'd be an endless wave for a specific duration rather than a preset amount of enemies, so in that style it could literally be done anywhere.

They are already working on Rescue 2.0 (3.0?) to make it endless, which may actually be pretty neat, but I would love to see something like this happen as well.

Amusing that no one has yet to bring up the new Assault mission, which is technically what is described here but preset with 3 specific mission types rolled into one.

Of course, the rewards suck for it so there isn't much reason to do it, and it isn't endless, but it is the child version of this concept at the very least.