Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Post Weapon Sound Samples Before Putting Live

Niavlys77

Just a thought - it would be AWESOME if you guys could post sample sounds of any changes you plan to make to the weapon sounds, or any sound for that matter.

This way you could get some feedback before putting it live, and might give you a chance to reduce excessive flak.

There have been too many cases of people complaining about new sounds, and then about what sounds were changed to afterwards.

Any thoughts?

EDIT:

Another bonus to this - us players will be able to at least hear what the sounds *should* sound like, and if they aren't the same in-game, we can report that as well. This would give you guys a better idea as to what hardware setups are causing issues.

Edited by Niavlys77

Hey guys,

Posting sound samples would severely slow us down.  Also, posting a sample of a sound in isolation is not a good way to judge it when you consider how it needs to sound while playing the game with all other sounds.  We might consider this with one or two weapons in the future but posting every new sound change is not ideal.

Put them all in the game and then implement mods that would change the sfx of the weapon. The mod should be put into the category "Customization" (the palette icon) instead of "Weapon Mods" (the wrench one).

Huehue

I think you'll find that there is no point doing this because any problems we have with the new sounds are down to frame rate issues rather than sounds being poor.... didn't you read the sticky that clearly explains why it is our fault?

Let's not mention the fact that I never drop below 60fps, and every new sound is worse than the old.

The sound guys are losing people, and cannot see it no matter what feedback we give them, or what decent suggestions chaps like you make.

I like your suggestion, but good luck with the response!!

I think you'll find that there is no point doing this because any problems we have with the new sounds are down to frame rate issues rather than sounds being poor.... didn't you read the sticky that clearly explains why it is our fault?

Let's not mention the fact that I never drop below 60fps, and every new sound is worse than the old.

The sound guys are losing people, and cannot see it no matter what feedback we give them, or what decent suggestions chaps like you make.

I like your suggestion, but good luck with the response!!

I did read it, but I don't think blaming specific hardware really matters here.

What I really want from this is to hear what the sounds *should* sound like - this way they could even narrow down what systems are running into issues when playing the game with those sounds, as well as help decide whether they would be suitable for the weapon at hand.

All in all - I see this as a win-win thing. They would get better feedback, and we would be more understanding.

Agreed buddy, sorry, I was being snarky at the excuse / reason we have been given rather than your idea.

Totally agree your suggestion seems like the right way, perhaps if we heard what the Gorgon should sound like we would be impressed!

Hey guys,

Posting sound samples would severely slow us down.  Also, posting a sample of a sound in isolation is not a good way to judge it when you consider how it needs to sound while playing the game with all other sounds.  We might consider this with one or two weapons in the future but posting every new sound change is not ideal.

I suppose that's true - I guess that's as far as this idea might go.

If it's possible even once in a while, that'd be nice. But you're right - posting them then waiting for opinions, more ideas, etc would really slow things down.

I appreciate the reply though!

Hey guys,

If you didn't make such terrible changes to weapon sounds then we wouldn't be asking you to run them by us first! 

If you didn't make such terrible changes to weapon sounds then we wouldn't be asking you to run them by us first! 

wow... way to come off as an @$$, they're doing the best they can with all the mixed feedback they're getting, for example the first change to the viper:

"OMG IT'S TOO LOUD TURN IT DOWN!!"

then:

"OMG IT SUCKS! CHANGE IT BACK!"

then when they added bullet casing sounds:

"OMG THE GUN SOUNDS SUCKISH BUT THE BULLET SOUNDS ARE AWESOME!"

then when more people complained that it sucked and then:

"OMG IT SUCKS, MAKE IT AWESOME!"

and the list will continue to grow, I actually am fine with all the weapon sounds even when they change yet the only sound I've heard that's made me go "OMG THAT'S AWESOME!" and buy the weapon with the sound is the Braton

EDIT: some weapons fire INSANELY fast *cough*Dual Viper*cough* and the loop on stuff like Windows Media Player can't loop that fast to keep in tune with the fire rate, and if they wanted to do that they'd have to compile multiple of the same sound in one file just so we can hear what it would sound like properly

Edited by Ninjaboy00

wow... way to come off as an @$$, they're doing the best they can with all the mixed feedback they're getting, for example the first change to the viper:

"OMG IT'S TOO LOUD TURN IT DOWN!!"

then:

"OMG IT SUCKS! CHANGE IT BACK!"

then when they added bullet casing sounds:

"OMG THE GUN SOUNDS SUCKISH BUT THE BULLET SOUNDS ARE AWESOME!"

then when more people complained that it sucked and then:

"OMG IT SUCKS, MAKE IT AWESOME!"

and the list will continue to grow, I actually am fine with all the weapon sounds even when they change yet the only sound I've heard that's made me go "OMG THAT'S AWESOME!" and buy the weapon with the sound is the Braton

EDIT: some weapons fire INSANELY fast *cough*Dual Viper*cough* and the loop on stuff like Windows Media Player can't loop that fast to keep in tune with the fire rate, and if they wanted to do that they'd have to compile multiple of the same sound in one file just so we can hear what it would sound like properly

See that's great, except that the Dual Vipers now pretty much sound like a wet fart. Not really cool, beefy or anything even approaching pleasant to listen to. Gotta be honest, a gun is a gun. I liked the sound before when it made your teeth rattle. For those who don't like the nasty, horrible, naughty, disgusting, icky, too-loud sound? Go swing a sword, or use some Kunai, or even a bow. Nuff said. +1 for the OP's idea, but it's unlikely to happen :(

See that's great, except that the Dual Vipers now pretty much sound like a wet fart. Not really cool, beefy or anything even approaching pleasant to listen to. Gotta be honest, a gun is a gun. I liked the sound before when it made your teeth rattle. For those who don't like the nasty, horrible, naughty, disgusting, icky, too-loud sound? Go swing a sword, or use some Kunai, or even a bow. Nuff said. +1 for the OP's idea, but it's unlikely to happen :(

yeah, that's the problem, people want chainsaw guns without the sound making their ears bleed so just saying "grab a silent weapon" is invalid as people will want to use guns and put bullet holes in enemies, not arrows/kunai/shurikens/whatever

Gonna feel bad for the sound team when they roll out the new sound for the Lex and it ends up being underwhelming. The feedback won't be pretty.

Maybe if they tried to make the new sounds reminiscent of the original instead of being massively drastic changes? (auto pistols and Gorgon being the biggest offenders)

Hey guys,

Demo video of upcoming /large/ sound changes in context perhaps?

I wouldn't suggest this for fine tuning of sounds but only for changes that dramatically alter the user experience of existing weapons and such, e.g., the gorgon wimpy-fying that happened recently. (I know that was because of a not-fully-implemented sound layering something or other, just the example I have at hand because one of my partners uses the gorgon a lot :3)

Now i'm wondering if you guys have a developer build mode where you can switch between all the weapons in-mission o.o.

Oh, and one more thing -- could we get sound updates mentioned in the patch notes? I don't think they have been so far. Just "sounds changed for blah, foo, grep, and yacc". would be fine :3.

(And now my brain: there should totally be yacc, flex, and bison guns to go with the lex)