The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Clip? CLIP!

Hessian

Ok. So, I wasn't originally going to make a post about this... but every time I see "clip" in the upgrade tree I get incredibly annoyed.

http://en.wikipedia....ip_(ammunition)

http://en.wikipedia....zine_(firearms)

There is a difference between the two, and they cannot be used interchangably. Now I am pretty sure we are not using clips in any of the firearms, hell, probably not even magazines given the number of shots in most weapons (well, actually just the gorgon). There has to be a better word that can replace "clip" thats actually accurate to what the upgrade is doing.

Nobody I know really complains about this ever. Except gun nuts who go insane whenever I use a general term for a thing that holds ammunition that goes into the gun. I think it's really nitpicking at this point, I don't see much of a reason to change it other than people with OCD who really do get annoyed when people mix up the two.

Nobody I know really complains about this ever. Except gun nuts who go insane whenever I use a general term for a thing that holds ammunition that goes into the gun. I think it's really nitpicking at this point, I don't see much of a reason to change it other than people with OCD who really do get annoyed when people mix up the two.

It's not nitpicking, it's simply wrong. It's not even a general term! It's a specific term for a specific thing.

I believe the usage of "apples and oranges" fits here just fine.

Well...

I'm kind of bothered by games using the term "clip" too (Even though I'm not a "gun nut", I don't even own a gun, I just know the correct term) but just I got used to it and move on... Can't really change it. Most people will still call them clips. Just blame the media I guess.

Clips are used to load bullets into a magazine. You take the clip out once the bullets are in the magazine. Old WW2 rifles like the Lee Enfield have integral magazines that can't be removed, clips are used to load the bullets into them. Most shotguns got integral (Tube) magazines too.

And yes, making the magazine bigger gives you more bullets. A "clip" holds bullets together inside a magazine, but some old WW2 guns actually held the bullets in a "Clip" instead of a "Magazine" which is where some of the confusion originated.

Technically, no they didn't.

Every modern day weapon has a magazine, whether it's internal or external. Technically an M1 Garand held the clip and the ammunition in an internal magazine.

As far as the entire debate goes, the wording of clip is annoying to me too. If it could be changed, that would be cool, but I don't think it should be a major concern for the dev team at this time.

Every modern day weapon has a magazine, whether it's internal or external. Technically an M1 Garand held the clip and the ammunition in an internal magazine.

As far as the entire debate goes, the wording of clip is annoying to me too. If it could be changed, that would be cool, but I don't think it should be a major concern for the dev team at this time.

It shouldn't be a major concern as it doesn't directly effect gameplay, but it's also pretty minor thing that should be fairly easy to change.

to me it does not matter as long as you understand what it means and what it will effect not every single person playing this game will know the differance its a insignificant thing to bring up magizine would seem to awkward in that tiny circle and i dont see my character pulling a mag or a clip out of the weapon so you might as well call it hand twirl if you wanna get real technical about it

Edited by AcidHaze

The magazine was internal in the gun and soldiers carried around bullets in their CLIPS, NOT in the magazine. Therefore yes, the bullets were contained in the clip and not the magazine.

It also doesn't really matter, as in the modern day the word clip is used interchagably with the word magazine. Words do change meaning over time.

Edited by OzymandiasLlewellyn

I definitely respect the expertise in gun part names. Will pass along.

No, dude, in this future these future guns use clips.

This isn't Battlefield or "Mordern" Warfare, leave the clips alone.

Besides.... the Grineer do actually say "Switching mag." So.... Grineer weapons use mags but Tenno weapons dont.

No, dude, in this future these future guns use clips. This isn't Battlefield or "Mordern" Warfare, leave the clips alone.

'Becca isn't so much of a dude, and more of a divine being. Her portfolio include good vibes, cheerful posts, cats, helping people, cats and cats. She is also a message runner. She picks up messages from the community and brings them to the desk.

'Becca isn't so much of a dude, and more of a divine being. Her portfolio include good vibes, cheerful posts, cats, helping people, cats and cats. She is also a message runner. She picks up messages from the community and brings them to the desk.

Oh sorry, dudette.

Clips aren't anything outside of firearms, they only apply to firearms, not crossbows, slingshots, or anything else. There are no clips outside the realm of firearms. Clips are nothing more than a method of loading a magazine. Magazines determine the reservoir capacity of ammunition entirely. The Chinese cho-ko-nu held its bolts in a gravity fed magazine above the bolt channel, no clip to be found. Magazines are a ubiquitus term, the archery equivalent is most similar to a quiver where you are the action.

So yes, it's a big deal when clip is only something you find in WWII era rifles used as a loading mechanism.

This bothers me as well, i honestly dont know why this has caught on so much. I guess its all the old ww2 movies? It really is a different thing, it would be like if people started calling boats cars. A car transports people and things, so does a boat, same thing, right?