Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I screwed for entering the contest late?

Cyborg-Rox

Question

This is regarding the ongoing Melee Weapon design contest. I read in one of the comments there that the submissions picked for Design Council voting is based on upvotes, which mean anyone entering towards the end of it is screwed. 

This seems completely backwards, as the submissions later would generally have more time put into them, including mine which I've worked my butt off for 3 weeks on now.

Someone please give me some closure on this, I've put in far too much work to start worrying about this screwing me over.

6 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Cyborg-Rox said:

I did a forum search on the name of the artist picking the submissions and I saw it in a comment mentioning him.

I can see why that player interpreted it this way, considering that the OP said "favourite submissions." However, "favourite" by who? The community or DE? In my case ,I'm thinking it's the latter, while the other person thinks it's the former. 

Unless DE clarifies, I guess we won't have a concrete answer yet (hopefully they do on monday).

1. Comments by who?

2. The only few comments I saw are people asking if it's the case, or people responding "no it isn't based on upvotes."

3. I cannot speak for DE, but nowhere in the rules is stated that upvotes mean anything for the initial pick. Additionally, it would be completely unfair and would go against the point of Design Council voting in the first place (which is a smaller, more isolated group, voting through a poll). I

Edited by Casardis

There is no mention of such in the official contest thread post.

On 3-3-2017 at 7:00 PM, [DE]Megan said:

Selecting the Winning Design:

Call for submissions will be closed on March 30, 2017 at 1:00 pm ET.

Lucas Hug, Senior Artist at Digital Extremes, will choose a batch of favourite submissions. You can see some of Lucas Hug’s work on Warframe weapons here: http://www.lucashug.com/warframe-02

The Design Council will then determine the winning Melee weapons by submissions selected by Lucas Hug. Design Council voting will begin on March 31, 2017 at 1:00pm ET and run for one week.

The winning designs will be interpreted by our artists who will make tweaks as needed to ensure that the overall design remains true to the Warframe style.

The completed melee weapon will then be put into Warframe!

Good luck, Tenno!

Edited by Artorius-Alter

Just now, Casardis said:

1. Comments by who?

2. The only few comments I saw are people asking if it's the case, or people responding "no it isn't based on upvotes."

I did a forum search on the name of the artist picking the submissions and I saw it in a comment mentioning him.

2 minutes ago, Casardis said:

I can see why that player interpreted it this way, considering that the OP said "favourite submissions." However, "favourite" by who? The community or DE? In my case ,I'm thinking it's the latter, while the other person thinks it's the former. 

Unless DE clarifies, I guess we won't have a concrete answer yet (hopefully they do on monday).

Ah alright, I see. 

Yeah, I can't imagine DE would base something like that on the community's liking. I mean, that's what they have the later Design Council vote for, they just have to filter out all the 'unfitting' weapons and pick the ones they themselves think fits the game.

If you want a little peek at my submission, here ya go: http://cyborgrox.deviantart.com/art/Warframe-Melee-Creation-Contest-WIP-peek-670483008

I'm completely done designing and sketching it by now though, but there's still work to do!

Actually I just watched Prime Time #156 where they've shown some of the picks so far (by March 9). Doing a bit of searching through the URLs provided, I can see some picks that have less than 50 upvotes on it, such as NiJiDiji's sword. You can see the time at the video below, as well as the link to NiJi's post so you can see I'm not lying on the number of upvotes.

https://youtu.be/rVn6DFLmeFU?t=3056

I saw some other submissions with less than 10 upvotes that were in the picks in the video as well. If this is representative of the selections, then it bodes well for the contest and variety, but most importantly for the later submissions. 

EDIT: Your blade looks slick so far. Hope you are able to finish to submit it!

Edited by Casardis