Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

People Don't Know How to Review

BrownStalin

While looking at game reviews on Metacritic, I started to notice a trend with games such A*s Effect Downdromeda,Horizon and Breath of the Wild where people say something like "This game is great other than minor problems" and go on to give it a 10.

When you give a game a 10, that means you find the game to be the most perfect thing in existence, other games should strive to copy the games formula (even more funny when people give ME:A a 10/10)and overall, to be that game. This is okay (not really,a thing such as a 10/10 should be impossible) but when you say things like "minor problems" or "perfect game but..." the game should not be a 10/10. Even one mistake should make the game ineligible for a 10/10 because a 10/10 means perfection and no game is perfect (even classics).

Even worse is the fear for a game getting a 5/10. A 5/10 is not a bad thing, it's not a good thing but certainly not bad. 5/10 means average,okay,it works on what it stands on but doesn't excel. It doesn't mean "not good enough" or "half bad". Most games are average. CoD is average, BF1 is slightly above average (It doesn't do anything special but it brought decent change) and games like Gone Home, Life is Strange and Mass Effect: Lesbian Soap Opera are 1s,2s and 3s.

just a little rant

I think a lot of people judge things similarly to how a school system judges things. If you get a 5/10 on a test, you fail, so most people would see a game that is 5/10 as a failure

The people who review on a bases of 10/10-0/10 essentially have a binary scale of whether they recommend the game or don't recommend the game. The game is either good or it is bad.

But I'm assuming you're looking at the user scores, which is already a poor choice to read in the first place.

14 minutes ago, Mr.ToastForPresident said:

But I'm assuming you're looking at the user scores, which is already a poor choice to read in the first place.

I look at user scores because """""""game journalists""""""" have the integrity of a Roman Orgy and it is quite comedic to see what people write.

Edited by BrownStalin

3 hours ago, BrownStalin said:

When you give a game a 10, that means you find the game to be the most perfect thing in existence,

No... That's what a 10 means to you. Other reviewers view review scores differently. Given that a 1-10 rating system doesn't have a whole lot of room for exact comparisons, the difference in opinion between what constitutes a 9 or a 10 can be drastic. Try converting it to percentages to see what I mean.

I consider Dark Souls one of the best games of all time... Yet it is still flawed and there are things I find very annoying about it, and yet those things rarely if ever negatively impact my gameplay experiences and the things the game does right I find substantial enough to overlook some of the flaws. If I had to give it a percentage based rating, it would be in the 97% range. However in a 10 point system, that would round to a 10. I can't give it a 9, because I find the game to be noticeably better than other games I would give a 9 to. So if I did give every "near perfect" game a 9... What the heck purpose does the 10 rating serve? Even my most beloved games have some flaws in them so I'm never going to give anything a 10 rating.

That being said, back when I did game reviews I didn't give scores. The ideas of "This looks pretty" "The music is awful but.." "I felt very immersed" "Various minor elements came together beautifully in a way that wouldn't have worked anywhere near as well individually" "The game has a lot of problems, I just like the concept enough to overlook them", etc, they don't really translate well into a single number and even averaging up different scores doesn't really give very accurate information on whether it's worth a buy.

I'm yet to give anything in life a (not sarcastic) 10/10.

10/10 is when the thing is absolutely perfect and there's nothing that could've been improved on. So far i found nothing like it.

My scores are usually between 7 and 9.

As if: its good > very good > nearly perfect