Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

4668 Mandachord requests fulfilled (rounds on Wednesdays)

Buff00n

Question

1 hour ago, PortalGunner said:

Hello Buff00n, I would like to request the Freedom Planet main theme by Woofle and Strife.
Here is the video: https://youtu.be/tei9eGf8tDs
I understand there might be a slight issue in the timing, however I don't expect a perfect match. Some possible points to start I found were 0:01 and 0:28.
I'm impressed with your dedication to this thread, keep it up and thanks for all the amazing beats!

Sorry, can't make that work.  Timing is never a much of an issue as the limited notes available on the Mandachord.

57 minutes ago, xlilmissvixenx said:

Hey man I'm a total noob but I think I figured this all out, I think this song would be dope the riff from about 14 seconds in. If you can find the time to make it I'd be so stoked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4bsDgZa4ns Thanks in advance :)

Huh.  I was done for the night but I clicked on your link out of curiosity, and rarely do I hear something I can do that perfectly.

Freeze Me (Death From Above): Mandachord (Original)

10 minutes ago, Buff00n said:

Sorry, can't make that work.  Timing is never a much of an issue as the limited notes available on the Mandachord.

That's disappointing. Are you able to send me what you tried so I can play with it myself? My main problem for me is that I don't know where to start. 

Edited by PortalGunner

2 minutes ago, PortalGunner said:

That's disappointing. Are you able to send me what you tried so I can play with it myself? My main problem for me is that I don't know where to start. 

I didn't even make it to the Mandachord stage.  I figured out how to play the melody on a real piano and stopped there.  It's in G Minor and the first note is a Bb, and it needs two crucial notes that aren't present in the G Minor pentatonic in the Mandachord's range.

4 minutes ago, Buff00n said:

I didn't even make it to the Mandachord stage.  I figured out how to play the melody on a real piano and stopped there.  It's in G Minor and the first note is a Bb, and it needs two crucial notes that aren't present in the G Minor pentatonic in the Mandachord's range.

Guess that answers that. I've been trying to condense some of the high and low end notes that are similar to try and work around that, as I know the mandachord's limitations wouldn't allow for a great match. Guess I'll have to keep messing around or stick to my Bleach track :)
Have a good evening, Buff00n.

Edited by PortalGunner

As someone that's spent so much time on the mandachord, if you had to recommend a single sound pack for someone too cheap to buy multiple sets which would it be?

I found this thread while building Octavia and went through picking out all my favorite songs eager to play her just to realize afterwards that each sound pack cost 50 plat and all of the songs I liked took 2-3 sets each and sounded like pure cancer using adau so... time to compromise!

4 minutes ago, PlanckZero said:

As someone that's spent so much time on the mandachord, if you had to recommend a single sound pack for someone too cheap to buy multiple sets which would it be?

I found this thread while building Octavia and went through picking out all my favorite songs eager to play her just to realize afterwards that each sound pack cost 50 plat and all of the songs I liked took 2-3 sets each and sounded like pure cancer using adau so... time to compromise!

For a general soundpack I would have to say Alpha feels a fair bit more familiar than the default Adau. 
Best for Rock I would say is Druk.
Best for Jazz I would say is Plogg.
If you want a lot of Sax music, get the Gamma (though Sax is only the Melody section).

However if you want to make the best decision, you should see if there are samples online of the different packs (maybe in videos). Listen to them for a bit and decide what you think you would use most. 

55 minutes ago, PlanckZero said:

Yeah, Adau has its niche and doesn't work at all for anything outside of that.  Out of 1419 songs so far, I've only used  all Adau instruments for 11 of them.  They really need to come out with a more "standard" instrument set that you get for free, because Adau is the worst possible option to start with.

If you can pick *two* then I generally recommend Alpha and Druk.

• Alpha has a great all-purpose melody and a strong dance club percussion.  However, you need to take it very slow with the bass. 
  • Druk has the best all-purpose bass and a strong rock percussion.  However, the melody is mushy and hard to hear over a battle.

You can do most popular songs reasonably well with Alpha melody, Druk bass, and Alpha or Druk percussion.

If you can only pick *one*, then maybe go with Beta or Plogg:

• Beta has a short, clear melody, a decent synth-rock percussion with a long snare, and a weak but usable bass.
  • Plogg has a clear but long melody, a clean light rock percussion, and an simple but overstong bass (I almost always turn the volume down on Plogg bass).

The others have at least one part that's niche at best.

• Gamma has a short, clear melody and a hip-hop percussion that I use a lot, but the bass is very long and needs to be very slow.
  • Epsilon's melody is an acquired taste but it's pitched an octave higher than all the others which is useful, and its got an 80's techno percussion that I use sometimes.  Its bass, however, is just hard to use successfully.  It has a weird long attack which can make it sound later than when you set it.
  • Delta's melody is useless, and its bass overpowers everything else and just kind of sounds bad to me.  It's got a nice drum and bass percussion that I use a lot, though.

20 hours ago, Draconis13013 said:

I would really like to see this old sea shanty done on the mandachord. Its got a nice repeating beat for doing work which translates well for timing abilities. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv_WHPmPSNE

Timing is actually an issue with this song, as it's in 6/8 time.  You can't do the rhythm perfectly in the Mandachord's 4/4 time.  If I had one extra note I could maybe make something work, but without it I can't do anything recognizable.