The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What If We Put Aura's On Sentinels Instead

Dazko

Of course, I am not expecting to get sentinels, weapons, and frames right away. Why should we restrict a new player's customization by forcing them to choose between weapon, frames, AND sentinel. Sentinels are just a supporting thing. New players will be more familiarized with auras if they are exposed to it sooner, which is a good thing. Then they are aware of the aura and can plan it with their future Warframe builds. This adds a level of complexity to the game that is completely harmless since the auras are just a little buff. 

Sentinels are already worthwhile, you can be cloaked by them, they provide extra damage, stun enemies, recharge your shields. And since you can fully play and win almost all the levels without an aura, this argument about putting auras on sentinels shouldn't be a problem. 

+45% weapon damage for an entire team (per player and stackable!) and more than a single Energy Siphon are verging on game breaking. These are not "little buffs". Paying for a sentinel to have access to these passive, and otherwise free, game-changing bonuses is not even a little unreasonable, especially given that players without one will still benefit from everyone else's Aura.

Edited by MangoMonkey

+45% weapon damage for an entire team (per player and stackable!) and more than a single Energy Siphon are verging on game breaking. These are not "little buffs". Paying for a sentinel to have access to these passive, and otherwise free, game-changing bonuses is not even a little unreasonable, especially given that players without one will still benefit from everyone else's Aura.

Not to challenge your point at all MM, but this logic is absolutely and equally valid for keeping the Auras to have a cost exactly as they do now on the Warframe with the Aura slot as is.

I completely agree with your assessment about the value and implications of these abilities.

They require an opportunity cost that means you don't bring something else. Ultimately, this is one thing that still troubles me greatly about moving them to sentinels. Where's the opportunity cost? What did you NOT bring to bring the Aura? This was always one of the greatest flaws with the old artifact system. They were 'free power'.

Edited by Drusus

Not to challenge your point at all MM, but this logic is absolutely and equally valid for keeping the Auras to have a cost exactly as they do now on the Warframe with the Aura slot as is.

I completely agree with your assessment about the value and implications of these abilities.

They require an opportunity cost that means you don't bring something else. Ultimately, this is one thing that still troubles me greatly about moving them to sentinels. Where's the opportunity cost? What did you NOT bring to bring the Aura? This was always one of the greatest flaws with the old artifact system. They were 'free power'.

I agree wholeheartedly. I actually don't mind the new system and had serious issues with the old one but, in all fairness, I think enough people do that a change could be considered. I think there are advantages to this new system, mainly in making Sentinels much more useful and of greater priority for players. There are issues, too, which could perhaps be fixed by icnreasing the energy cost, such that it seriously drains on the mod capacity of a Sentinel without a Catalyst.

You read my mind.  I had this idea in my head but I was trying to refine it.  Realistically, It would work. There are points on sentinels that go unused, so why not?  I feel like, if there was some kind of lore added to sentinels, like, how did they get there? What exactly do they do? Do they themselves interface with Lotus and therefore an extension of her?

New Players--

It would be tough on them because we are forcing them to use something to get an added bonus.  That being said, What if in the trailer when Excal wakes up and falls on his face on the floor, a very BASIC Heavily Orokin-esque influenced Sentinel flies down to greet you, Lotus. It would add something to Lore and make them something other than, oh its a robot that replenishes my shields and shoots dakka. DETHCUBE I'M LOOKING AT YOU.

This basic Sentinel could have some rather basic powers for HELPING, a new player get through some levels.

Lockpick - Helps the Tenno solve the Lockdown console.  Has a relatively high fail rate until you level it up. It moves the squares around for a few* seconds, if it doesn't solve it itself, you step in to take over.

Target Mark - Shoots a laser (FOR NO DAMAGE) that highlights an enemy and you can deal a LITTLE extra damage.  Subsequent rank ups increases its range and bonus damage.  I'm not talking Sonar levels of damage but would highlight his entire body similar to Sonar, but as a trade off, less extra damage.

Plenty - While on the topic of lasers, It shoots a laser at a container that may or may not include some extra resources, HP, Energy, Affinity.  Increasing Rank lowers the fail rate.

When the Sentinel dies, you lose the aura.  It only makes sense.  You have to have trade-offs for this kind of thing.  You can't just ask for 30% extra rifle damage for nothing.  I sacrifice some warframe powers for this boost.  I learned to cope with this system.

The weapon would be tricky, probably something in between Wyrm and Shades' weapon.  Just nothing too strong.  

Just a thought, I personally like it because 1) it adds some lore. 2) It gives it more utility, which is the entire point of them. 3) it reduces the stress put on frame points.   most of my frames simply don't have room for the Aura.  While I appreciate trying to break the usual molds for slotting powers, most people here have played long enough to have just the right amount of mod points in their frame.  So my 2 cents, I was going to make a thread about this myself but of course, I saw this.

Edited by L19Soccer

This just prolongs the same issue we are having on our warframes, in time as sentinels get goodies we'll be finding ourselves in the same boat we thought we left.

I'm still for the system that's based on mastery rank. The higher your mastery rank, the more you get to upgrade your auras. Could even let you equip multiple auras at high enough ranks.

Would give ranking up a lot more flare/meaning.

Edited by Stinker

it would be nice. But I kinda dont want to have to be FORCED to use a Sentinel if I wanted the bonus from my Aura... Cause personally I DONT LIKE TO USE SENTINELS. and there are quite a few people who really do despise using a Sentinel or prefer not to use one. and for a new player getting a sentinel takes quite a while since they start with 0Credits and a Sentinel BP is 100,000Credits and the new Player wouldnt be geared up enough/prepared to venture into the Void for credits. for veteran players this would be an amazing idea. For new players/Players who dont like Sentinels this is Straining to first look at something feeling so far away that could be so useful when we are meant to clearly have it early on.

This just prolongs the same issue we are having on our warframes, in time as sentinels get goodies we'll be finding ourselves in the same boat we thought we left.

I'm still for the system that's based on mastery rank. The higher your mastery rank, the more you get to upgrade your auras. Could even let you equip multiple auras at high enough ranks.

Would give ranking up a lot more flare/meaning.

I do like the idea you present here as making the mastery rank matter.

However, I do still believe there is merit in making an opportunity cost in the selection of what to bring into a mission, in the form of installed power requirements.

While I really like the Mastery linking, I think without some 'ground level' exchange as well, it doesn't really manager the need for trade offs effectively.

You may be able to make an alternate case for this, but that's the logical flow I see at present as much as I like the concept.

However, I do still believe there is merit in making an opportunity cost in the selection of what to bring into a mission, in the form of installed power requirements.

Does there actually need to be an opportunity tax on the rest of the game for the sake of using what's now just a mod by another name? I guess it's exacerbated by the fact we've seen it differently / better, but now a large portion of the players will never ever use over half of the auras, new players notwithstanding.

Who here is honestly ever going to pick up a scavenger aura? Especially when ammo boxes are so cheap, don't cost you mod points, and are actually 100% reliable?

To add to the Mastery points giving multiple aura slots, you could have it limited to a single mod from a polarity so you can't just stack Energy Siphon and Rifle Amp.

Edited by Stinker

Auras - So yeah. Bad devs, no cookie! It has always been our intention that Aura mods were part of the Mod system (but kept getting delayed making this change more painful). Fusion, polarity differences and interaction with your Mod capacity were important to me when we integrated them. In the next hotfix we're rolling out a decent solution to retain those interactions but in a way that increases your build vs. screwing it over... Auras will *ADD* Mod capacity... Yes. ADD. Fuse up the Aura, match polarity and you'll get an extra 14 Mod capacity. Can't wait for you people to try it out and see if you dig it!

-DE_Steve

Can we stop complaining now?

I feel like we should leave auras with warframes. It offers good boosts to players who just started the game.

Myself and many noobies I encounter do not craft a sentinel until later on. I certainly do not

want them to miss out on that because a majority of new players quit before they make a sentinel.

Having the aura mod on the frame will give them MUCH needed mod capacity because they

are so weak and the monsters have been buffed lately.

Auras - So yeah. Bad devs, no cookie! It has always been our intention that Aura mods were part of the Mod system (but kept getting delayed making this change more painful). Fusion, polarity differences and interaction with your Mod capacity were important to me when we integrated them. In the next hotfix we're rolling out a decent solution to retain those interactions but in a way that increases your build vs. screwing it over... Auras will *ADD* Mod capacity... Yes. ADD. Fuse up the Aura, match polarity and you'll get an extra 14 Mod capacity. Can't wait for you people to try it out and see if you dig it!

-DE_Steve

Can we stop complaining now?

Eh can't say I've complained much in this thread but I will complain about this.  What we don't need, is a booster shot of power.  This makes aura's absurdly OP and doesn't even fix the diversity incentive problem.  If you want solutions, take the time to read the other posts in this thread.  Myself and a couple others have offered well thought out and descriptive solution alternatives to the OP's suggestion. 

Eh can't say I've complained much in this thread but I will complain about this.  What we don't need, is a booster shot of power.  This makes aura's absurdly OP and doesn't even fix the diversity incentive problem.  If you want solutions, take the time to read the other posts in this thread.  Myself and a couple others have offered well thought out and descriptive solution alternatives to the OP's suggestion. 

Agreed entirely.

The problem is that the utility of Energy Siphon is so great that it overshadows any other Aura.  DE needs to allow Warframes to innately recover energy on its own.  For low-energy consuming frames like Nyx, who only spams Chaos, mass amounts of energy is not essential, yet it is almost necessary to bring Energy Siphon. 

I for one would love to use Rifle Amp on Banshee, but whats the point if I don't have the energy to cast it.  And once I forma to Energy Siphon's polarity,the likely hood I would use Rifle Amp would be next to none.

Seriously i don't get it at all, every highranked player knows that only energy siphon is realy useful because it's the only consitent trustable source we have to gain energy to acutally _use_ our warframe, and if i want to switch t something i realy have to forma first and lvl a half day just to have another artefact for one game or two ? Tell me if you would wait... haha kidding.

Very good idea, attach the aura to the sentinel of course maxing your sentinel seems useles for now, noone is using forma on them ...

so we are at least able to let the aura slot empty without any polarity and be good.