Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Do I Need To Upgrade?

ClemicalTheCreature

Question

I've been having a lot of lag issues with Warframe and after failing to find the problem I decided to ask my fellow players for help. I have to keep everything set to low/off and have a small resolution in order for Warframe to be playable. And I can only get smooth FPS if I change to 800x600
ALL of my games are like this. ; - ;
Here are my specs
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.40GHz
Chip Type: NVIDIA GeForce GT 610
Video Memory: 2GB
RAM: 8.00 GB (7.87 usable)
System Type: 64-bit Windows 10
Monitor: 1920 x 1080 32 bit 60Hz
Power Supply: I forget but I know that it's very low, I never got around to upgrading it
Of course, before I add new parts I will upgrade the power first.
If I forgot to list something just let me know.

I would just start from scratch and build a new beast but as a teenager, with no license, you can't exactly do that. T _T Instead there's this thing called "Beg parents" that most of us teens have to do.

6 answers to this question

Video card.

The GT610 is an economy class video card. It's not really designed for gaming.

Tricky part with a video card upgrade though is that you mentioned you didn't know your Power Supply and that can be pretty important for most performance video cards. Esp the Amps on the +/- 12V Line. Your PCIe speed would also matter a bit but there's not much you can do about that.

EDIT: You may want to look into a GTX 750 Ti. It's a cheap mid range card. It performs decent for about $100. It also has very low Power usage just in case your Power Supply is not up to snuff.

http://www.pricewatch.com/price/video_cards/geforce_gtx_750_ti

A quick stats comparison between your current card and a GTX 750 Ti.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=935&gid2=883&compare=Nvidia GeForce GT 610-vs-Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Of course if you want to spend more money, there's always more performance to be had. That's generally how it goes.

An alternate (more beefy) choice could be a GTX 1060 for about $200. This would prolly be the best bang for your buck but ya know... Wallets. So, it's up to you.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=883&gid2=3540&compare=Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti-vs-Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

BTW, it would help to know your MB model to know what you can fit.

Edited by Xzorn

Try to contact Support first, as they may be able to help you determine the root of the performance problem.

Here are some things that may help increase your performance:

• Clear your memory cache
  • End unnecessary or unwanted background processes
  • Clear out dust in your computer's tower
  • Adjusting your GPU's voltage (don't do this unless you know what you're doing)

https://pcpartpicker.com/ can help you find part prices as well as help you find what parts are compatible.

Edited by Heckzu

40 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Video card.

The GT610 is an economy class video card. It's not really designed for gaming.

Tricky part with a video card upgrade though is that you mentioned you didn't know your Power Supply and that can be pretty important for most performance video cards. Esp the Amps on the +/- 12V Line. Your PCIe speed would also matter a bit but there's not much you can do about that.

EDIT: You may want to look into a GTX 750 Ti. It's a cheap mid range card. It performs decent for about $100. It also has very low Power usage just in case your Power Supply is not up to snuff.

http://www.pricewatch.com/price/video_cards/geforce_gtx_750_ti

A quick stats comparison between your current card and a GTX 750 Ti.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=935&gid2=883&compare=Nvidia GeForce GT 610-vs-Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Of course if you want to spend more money, there's always more performance to be had. That's generally how it goes.

An alternate (more beefy) choice could be a GTX 1060 for about $200. This would prolly be the best bang for your buck but ya know... Wallets. So, it's up to you.

http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index.php?gid=883&gid2=3540&compare=Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti-vs-Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060

BTW, it would help to know your MB model to know what you can fit.

I could get the GTX 1060 but would have to wait longer. As for the MB model, I had to go all over the place so this may not be it. My computer wouldn't tell me and I can't exactly turn it off at the moment to check inside so I used the CMD and searched for it. I believe the model is a Dell R230R Optiplex 760.

21 minutes ago, ClemicalTheCreature said:

I could get the GTX 1060 but would have to wait longer. As for the MB model, I had to go all over the place so this may not be it. My computer wouldn't tell me and I can't exactly turn it off at the moment to check inside so I used the CMD and searched for it. I believe the model is a Dell R230R Optiplex 760.

Yea, that MB looks like it has room, the GTX 10 series are rather big cards.

I assume it's PCIe v 1.0 given the age of the system but you won't notice a difference considering the other specs. The good thing about getting a 1060 is when you do decide to upgrade the rest of the system you can use the same video card and get even more performance from it.

The Power Supply is still in question, I know you said you might get a new one. The GTX 1060 requires a ~400W Supply with 20A on the 12V rail. That's actually surprisingly modest, I think my GTX 970 eats up 28A before Overclocks.

BTW is the performance problem recent or has it always run kinda bad? It's always possible to tweak a system a bit and squeeze some juice out of it. Sometimes it's simple tweaks like setting the Video card to performance mode, certain video settings in the game or changing some to driver based instead of client, closing background processes, anti-virus, defrag the hard drive, sometimes it's more extreme things like voltage settings but it could also be as simple as running a cache check in the Warframe Launcher.

7 hours ago, Xzorn said:

Yea, that MB looks like it has room, the GTX 10 series are rather big cards.

I assume it's PCIe v 1.0 given the age of the system but you won't notice a difference considering the other specs. The good thing about getting a 1060 is when you do decide to upgrade the rest of the system you can use the same video card and get even more performance from it.

The Power Supply is still in question, I know you said you might get a new one. The GTX 1060 requires a ~400W Supply with 20A on the 12V rail. That's actually surprisingly modest, I think my GTX 970 eats up 28A before Overclocks.

BTW is the performance problem recent or has it always run kinda bad? It's always possible to tweak a system a bit and squeeze some juice out of it. Sometimes it's simple tweaks like setting the Video card to performance mode, certain video settings in the game or changing some to driver based instead of client, closing background processes, anti-virus, defrag the hard drive, sometimes it's more extreme things like voltage settings but it could also be as simple as running a cache check in the Warframe Launcher.

I think the power supply may be 230 or 250 which is horrible so I am planning to upgrade that. I can't exactly do much upgrading with that low power.
The performance has always been bad and I've tried everything I could before coming to the conclusion that it was the specs.

31 minutes ago, ClemicalTheCreature said:

I think the power supply may be 230 or 250 which is horrible so I am planning to upgrade that. I can't exactly do much upgrading with that low power.
The performance has always been bad and I've tried everything I could before coming to the conclusion that it was the specs.

Yea I would say 400W is average these days but it always depends on what else you're running in your computer. Hard Drives, Case Fans, Video Cards, Disc Drives. CPU ect. Running SLi alone can easily bring you over 500W. If you get bored there are calculators online you can use to plan ahead.

When it comes to Power Supplies though, it's not a good idea to go too cheap. If they're made with low quality components they can add unnecessary strain on the computer, break down more easily and in one rare case I saw one catch fire.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

This is a grading list of Power Supplies, I would avoid getting anything under Tier 3 if possible.

Most good units will run about $80. The good news is most of the good ones also come with a 5-10yr warranty.