The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Focus System (State of Game)

Roadle32111

If you have not completed the Second Dream quest, please do not read ahead unless you want spoilers.

Moving on, as we all know the the second dream quest added a new system to the game known as focus. When I first saw it, I saw an overflow of potential, the first major breakthrough of the game since the movement system. We were met with a message that this was a beta feature and that everything was subject to change in the future. Correct me if I'm wrong but over a year has past. As fond as I am of the new frames added to the game, why is it that the groundwork for a new major feature has been abandoned in favor of spitting out new weapons for us to waste plat on only to be bored 5mins after hitting rank 30. We got the war within afterwards where personally, I thought the operators would gain some sort of purpose. I thought we were getting that update to the focus system. NOPE. We got some pointless character choices which probably won't mean anything for the next two years, a gimmick enemy which requires the operator for half a second, a new zone with no purpose, and some new cosmetics to waste plat on.   

I'm seeing a trend here. It feels like if something doesn't create an instant spike in plat sales, it isn't worth expanding on. Notice how we only got the much awaited oberon rework right before the prime (don't expect any other anytime soon). Now we wait for Harrow, whereas although I'm excited, how does a new thing to level up compare to a new layer of progression. In fact, the quest probably won't make a difference. The nidus quest added a gamemode which people only played to get him and octavia's quest added a one time jumping puzzle. I'm not one of those people trying to make warframe into my dream game with hundreds of major re-imaginings of the current systems. This is something which the devs surprised the playerbase with but never cared to finish. And what in the world is with the MR 24 test? Everything about the operators serve no purpose (and probably won't anytime soon at this rate). Why were resources, no matter how few, poured into that test at all?

Please DE. This is like Destiny's life cycle going the wrong way. They went from a weapon every now and then to great advances. Warframe is going in reverse. This isn't the only thing that's been started yet abandoned for some reason. Pls.

My apologies for the rant. 

P.S. To those fanboys passionate players, before jumping to the rescue of the devs pls, think.

call me jaded, but at this point I don't expect to see any changes to focus system. Cause you know, "we don't want to harm players who put considerable effort into developing trees"...
Or anything gamechanging at all to be honest, I already gave up on hopes of warframe becoming anything more than it is.
Creating some gameplay around operators would need massive resources, prolly comaparable with creating entirely new game (which DE kinda already does with keystone). 

With riven slots for plat (and whole riven system in general), refusal to solve vault issue I expect gatcha lootboxes and cash only "tennogen" story arcs in future.

I know they said they're planning on reworking focus but i doubt it'll be done any time soon though. You are right though DE does tend to do lots of new things then take their time in updating them or reworking them if they're not that popular (I'm still hoping for a corpus raid to be made at some point).

I mean I don't have much hope that we'll LIKE how they rework and link focus and operators together, but do you guys listen to anything the Devs say? Like for the past 3 devstreams every time they get asked about the focus rework, they're like "we can't exactly tell you anything guys but GO TO TENNOCON GUYS" *WINKWINK*

Edited by Jakorak

22 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

They've already announced they're working on it.

A lot of people have been kicking these horse corpses and just, have some compassion will you? They're already dead.

PS - Remove the megathread tag.

Will remove tag. I'll keep kicking the horse till I die.

It's not very surprising, really. That's how DE does every new system. Here's a quick step-by-step guide:

1. Add a new system in an unpolished state.
  2. Ignore all the issues for a few years.
  3. Give up on trying to fix it because the issues became much worse in those few years.
  4. Rework the entire system and release it in an unpolished state.
  5. Go to Step 2.

3 hours ago, Redthirst said:

It's not very surprising, really. That's how DE does every new system. Here's a quick step-by-step guide:

1. Add a new system in an unpolished state.
  2. Ignore all the issues for a few years.
  3. Give up on trying to fix it because the issues became much worse in those few years.
  4. Rework the entire system and release it in an unpolished state.
  5. Go to Step 2.

They need to hire you. At least you're honest.

They don't need to rework the Focus system, they just need to develop it.

Please don't make such comparisons to Destiny. DE has never professed that their game has been anything other than a project in development. Destiny was marketed as a finished, Triple-A game that charged players ~70 bucks up front for half a game with tiny little maps and minimal multiplayer features, then took two years promising players they would eventually have a full game (after some pricey DLC).

Warframe is not going in reverse. Year 4 was far and away its biggest year of growth and activity to date. You might be getting tired of it (and I am too, so I just play it less), but it is going upward.