The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Buff Nightmare mode

TheBrsrkr

Nightmare mode isn't a bad idea in and of itself. You have some crazy handicaps, have a blast of fun dying a lot, you know, the usual harder difficulty setting. My only problem with it is the rewards. There are 16 Nightmare mods available, and most of them aren't BAD. What's really against them is they are the ONLY rewards for doing Nightmare missions. I mean, if you really look at them:

Stunning Speed: 40% reload, 10% Status chance. 10%? Really?  It's better to use the regular mod for reloading.

Wildfire: 20% clip size is good, but it really just adds 2 or 3 more rounds most of the time.

Accelerated Blast: 60% Puncture would be good if there wasn't only 1 or 2 Puncture Shotguns. 

Constitution: This is actually a really good one. I just don't understand the significance of the 28% instead of just 30%.

Fortitude: This is a good one too, for thse who really hate Knockdowns but feel that Handspring is a waste of a mod.

Blaze: Pretty good, but hard to fit on a 100% status build. Really good anyways.

Ice Storm: Not bad, not bad at all. Needs a kick up to 60% for the Cold damage though.

Focus Energy:Balances out an unranked Life Strike perfectly, and the Electric makes it work well for Corrosive in the Void. Put together with some changes to channeling, this can be an amazing mod. 

Rending Strike: It's so-so. There aren't many puncture weapons, but the extra Slash isn't that small either.

Vigor: A great alternative to Redirection or Vitality, or a nice boost to both.

Lethal Torrent: Honestly, I think this is a bit OP. There's only about 2 weapons you WON'T put this on.

Shred: Well, Shred is Shred. Does anyone NOT use Shred?

Hammer Shot: It's amazing on Crit Weapons, but you would be hard pressed to find space for it.

Animal Instinct, Seeking Fury and Armored Agility are more in line with what I expected nightmare mods to be like (but 15% reload speed is pretty underwhelming to be honest)

This isn't all about the mods though, it's about the mode. It could just be RNG,but most missions are 'no shields' missions, and I think we can all agree that that mode sucks. It goes both ways too. Modes like Timer and Zero G are just too easy to make much of a difference. The fun modes are Vampire mode and Energy Drain (?) mode. It's a challenge I actually WANT to face, and depends on my skill to surpass. We need more modes like those, not a mode where you can die in under 5 shots from literally anything if you're not Rhino or Inaros. 

There's also those juicy Nightwatch Grineer enemies from a while back. I liked them. Why not put them back in as specific Nightmare mode enemies to spice up the pot a little? 

The rewards also need to be expanded on. Why would I fight enemies 3 times harder for the same amount of credits and resources? We also need more mods, because once you have all 13 you never need to play Nightmare mode again. The mod rewards should also be given according to the level scaling of the planet (I should have a beeter chance of getting Shred on Pluto than Mars). Triple credits wouldn't hurt either.

Modes like Survival and Defense need to give something more than a Nightmare mod for their length. It doesn't make sense to have the same rewards for an exterminate and A survival when the survival lasts much longer against tougher enemies. More modes like Energy  Drain (?) mode and Vampire mode should be implemented. I have a few suggestions:

Shield Vampire Mode: Basically the Same thing with shields, giving overshields on quick kills. It would have to cut down really fast though,  50-80 per tick.

Pistol/Melee only mode: Give one of the weapons 50% more damage for the round, and reduce the damage of other weapons you have by 75%.

An enemy Elemental mode where all enemy weapons do Fire/Ice/electric damage. (toxin would be too cheap) and take more damage from the same elements.

No Aura mode: Could be fun.

Half Shields mode: Yes, make the ice levels Nightmare mode. Because I hate them. I hate them so much.

Reduced damage mode: 25% less damage on everything, but 25% more speed on you.

Berserker mode: enemies are all melee, but do 60% more damage and move a lot faster.

Another idea could be the use of Nightmare mode to return Amy really old Wraith weapons or drop blueprints for weapons for newer players, and resource caches. More nightmare mods should also be added, since the last set was more than a year ago. 

A bit more QoL for Nightmare mode would be to display the modifiers somewhere, maybe in the pause menu, so that those who join later can actually know what's going on.

Any questions/comments/suggestions? I would love to see some more modes in particular. Leave them in the comments. Thanks for reading!

Edited by TheBrsrkr
I honestly don't know how this forum works anymore

I honestly would be happy if most conditions would be more random already, the once we have, because 90% of the time on any nightmare misison or alert we often get the no shield condition, which benefits Inaros and Nidus which you see 90% of the time also in nightmare alerts sicne this condtion seems the most often one.

Nightmare should be reworked overall, same for dragon keys, so each affects each frame the same with some or another handicap and not just skip it with certain frames.

Small example i guess lets say no shield condition, frames without shield get armor reduced instead.

I just think we need nightmare mode in the void, for 2 reasons.  

1 - The Void has high level potential without having to redo anything content wise.  

2 - The void is Dead.  dumbed down to relic missions and argon crystal farming ever since they changed the system.  This can potentially get players back into the void more often as before.  And maybe add other modes like primary, secondary and melee only to the mix.

Last I checked Nightmare Mode enemies still had T4 Damage multipliers (+300%).

Which has always been an awful idea in a game with scaling enemies. As if enemy damage wasn't broken enough.

All it serves is to more quickly alienate frames who don't have Mass CC, Invisibility or an invulnerable shield.

I haven't really played Nightmare Mode in 2+ years but if they still do increased damage; the multiplier should be removed; then maybe other improvements will have an affect.

Edited by Xzorn