Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About expanding our Bosses

Aenris

Hey there, i had an idea that might be a nice addition to make the universe in Warframe feel a bit more alive:

Lately, i've been playing with new players (that happen to be new recruits in my clan) and they were asking if Alad V controlled Jupiter, or why he was the Jupiter boss. And same questions appeared about other bosses. I asked them why they thought so and (more or less) they explained to me that they haven't heard a thing of these bosses until they arrived to the assasination missions.

Of course, we had trailers back them to introduce some of the big baddies in warframe. Like the Trailer with Alad V sacrificing a Excalibur in the middle of an auction, but newer players won't see that trailer unless they start googling it (probably spoiling the Second Dream reveal at the end).

So, here are some ideas to make the bosses' presence feel their presence as something important on each planet:

-When a player arrives to a new planet, Ordis might intercept a message between the boss area and soldiers in the first node. It could be plain text with some lines of dialogue of said boss giving orders to intercept our liset if they see us or something like that.

-Likewise, said boss could send us some kind of threat. I can see Alad V trying to provoke us to fight him and pay him a visit (so he can defeat us with Zanuka and take our parts). Perhaps using his crewmen to test our warframe's strength (to see if we are worth joining zanuka project)

-Bosses could send a deployment unit, appearing in a short transmission, giving orders and/or taunting the player. Said units could be a slightly higher level, so they represent a threat to players. With the new Corpus deployment ship, i can see Nef Anyo, Alad V or Frohd Bek doing so.

-In some particular cases, Vor could send a message to his troops about the Ascaris Negator signal getting close. Tyl Regor might taunt the player when they first arrive to one of his sealabs. Heck, lephantis could leave some hints that might connect us to helminth or infested enemies!

Bottom line, i feel that bosses are in a state of "separated" from the rest of their planet and tileset. They feel like a classic big badie with no backstory. Like a bowser (or koopaling) waiting on his/her castle. Like a robotnik doing nothing in the end of the level waiting for the blue hedgehog. And while those worked fine back then, Warframe has tons of lore and stories that deserve better and more ways of telling.

That's all i can think of. If any of you have more suggestions, i'll be adding them to the main post.

i like this idea. so long as they don't have to animate anything new it should be relatively simple to implement to. most of the grineer seem only to happy to taunt the tenno but the corpus always send proxies first, transmissions should reflect that with the grineer bosses sending messages direct to tenno and with the corpus maybe the first transmissions are communications between corpus troops about keeping the tenno away from the higher ups?

1 minute ago, Wrum said:

[...] maybe the first transmissions are communications between corpus troops about keeping the tenno away from the higher ups?

Yes! exactly! :)

Again, in the case of Alad V, he could send transmissions to ask his troops to "test" the new subjects entering Jupiter, to see if they're worth of being Zanuka.

Edited by Arandabido

9 minutes ago, Slayer116 said:

well I mean frohd does deploy ambulas on low corpus missions and I mean they are kinda tough

he does? i've only seen corpus ships deploying normal, random enemies! It drops ambulas alone without Frohd's transmission or it taunts the player too? :D

an idea:

a lot of the character development for ingame bosses happens during events.

as an example i started playing after atlas was released. and im going through the game i beat allad v and then i get the mesa quest and im all like infested allad v? wat?

i had no idea what was going on and i had to dig through the wiki to read about the relevant events. there are a number of characters with this problem.

i think that events that are relevant to characters like this should be added permanently to the game in an incomplete form( no event rewards or unique drops) so that new players can enjoy and understand the story without having to dig through the wiki. 

4 minutes ago, Slayer116 said:

oh right maybe the transmission wont begin I don't think but when I killed it he said what have they done to my ambulas? and our perrin sequence friend said nows your chance hack into the disabled ambulas

Hmmm perhaps that one needs a bit more polishing then. New player who didn't participate of the event won't know what they're talking about (or who is Frohd Bek even)

Just now, Wrum said:

i think that events that are relevant to characters like this should be added permanently to the game in an incomplete form( no event rewards or unique drops) so that new players can enjoy and understand the story without having to dig through the wiki. 

That's a discussion that is been around for some time. I'd rather see them adopted into mission nodes somewhat (like, in the middle of the road towards the boss node). Perhaps we can have 1 mission in Uranus involving the Tubemen, so Regor's line "THIS IS FOR THE TUBEMEN!!" would actually make sense.

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/6/67/TylRegorBattleTaunt1.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20150801042747

(or even this other one)
"The Lotus... barking at you. Always so calm, always in control... She doesn't care about you, Tenno. She doesn't love you. Not like I loved the Tubemen you murdered."

https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warframe/images/7/74/TylRegorTaunt4.ogg/revision/latest?cb=20150801042747

In any case, let's avoid the discussion about including events: I think is better to ask for something small first. Transmissions, text or video messages with bosses tauting players or some foreshadowing of the battle you'll eventually have invading their planets :)