Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma ability rework. Simple and unique, plus improvement discussion

Viedra_Lavinova

Welcome!

Elemental Ward and Vex Armor are Chroma's bread and butter; only toxic needs a change. (as I discuss at the bottom) The real rework here is Spectral Scream and Effigy, because these abilities really need it. Numbers when needed to convey a bare minimum and concrete idea. Italics are meant to explain the reasoning behind each addition/ change. Feel free to suggest your own changes to what you would like changed to make him better.

Spectral Scream:

1. Increase base damage to 500 damage. Allows to be a damage ability more.
  2. Drop Augment down to base. No more bandaids
  3. Damage increases by 50% of the current damage value for each second active. Scaling damage for effort you put in
  4. Double the base range from 10 to 20m. Allow Range to also effect the radius of the cone to allow wider attack. (Right now it feels like a beam instead of a cone) More range means it is easier to use and get better RoI
  5. Only energy orbs and rage can effect chroma while performing spectral scream to prevent large damage stacks. (But you should be allowed to do large damage of you invest into it) Prevent excessively large damage stacks that can break the game
  • Possible new augment: Spray the ground with your breath. 100% chance to status proc on ground. Allies gain that element as bonus elemental damage when walking over it for a duration. Something new to give the ability that is unique and team focused.

Effigy

1. Take control of the pelt, the chroma then becomes a spectre to protect you. The recent augment has shown players do want control over effigy.
  2. Effigy scream becomes his new 1 while in effigy. (Fire button becomes the effigy spectral scream and melee becomes the effigy headbutt) More control, variety and unique.
  3. Allow Elemental Ward and Vex Armor to be cast and shared between pelt and spectre. 75-25 split favoring the spectre. So players actually want to use the ability.
  4. Spectre goes down, you go down. All powers disabled. So you can't go hog wild, you have to play with some sense.
  • Current live version and augment become combined into a new augment. Allowing players to still have that playstyle if wanted. (The credit boost can even be restricted to this augment as a compromise too)

Suggest an actual passive ability for chroma. I'll start with one:

• Ice: Gain extra base armor. Currently he has 350 base
  • Fire: Gain extra base health. Currently he has 300 base
  • Electric: Gain extra base shields. Currently he has 300 base
  • Toxin: Gain extra sprint speed. Currently 1.0 sprint speed (Or extra base energy as I talk about below, 225 base energy)

One controversial thing I have always wondered: Why is Toxic Chroma focused on holster and reload speed? Why couldn't we round out his elemental bonuses to be similar? What about toxic elemental ward award bonus maximum energy and energy regeneration? It would make him more team useful and wanted. (Toxic chroma is often seen as the worst variant too) We will soon have Harrow to fix that niche of reload speed and fire rate. Restricting a fourth of the frame to a niche that only a few weapons can fill is just bad and needs replaced. (Toxic elemental ward seemed like a bandaid anyways because parkour2.0 came out) Every frame needs health, armor, shields, and energy to survive. Chroma is supposed to represent each element. Each element is based on an important part of a warframe to survive and focusing on MAXIMIZING it. Toxic Chroma just doesn't make any complete sense other than a bandaid.

Again, feel free to suggest what you want in chroma. (Only link to other reworks if it is really needed) I hope the italics briefly explained the reasoning behind each change. While I don't expect this thread to get much traction, I want to get my ideas out there for others to see.

Edited by Viedra_Lavinova
Clarify that Toxic Chroma discussion at bottom and needed

8 minutes ago, Viedra_Lavinova said:

Spectral Scream:

-snip-

I've a better idea for his first ability :

• A 4 in one ability just like vauban/ivara
  • All 4 abilities are the same > Shoot a fireball but each has its element (so... like the augment)
  • Switching it switches chroma's element > no need to have your energy set to a specific color and ruin your fashion frame
  • Switching it will only change chroma's next elemental ward, not the current one
  • Make the damage scale with vex armor's damage boost

In my opinion, the fourth ability would be just amazing if it could have its own elemental ward and damage/armor scale on vex armor.

This would be the kind of chroma I want, i'm not saying your ideas are bad but a plain damage / range buff won't save spectral scream

Edited by Trichouette

1 hour ago, Viedra_Lavinova said:

Elemental Ward and Vex Armor are Chroma's bread and butter; they stay as is.

Elemental Ward stays as is? are you serious?  Ice is the only useful out of 4 elements to choose from and the range versus duration thing is a complete joke.    Are you afraid if you mention it they will just nerf Ice with any changes they make to the others?  No thanks, if a rework doesn't involve that at the very least, I do not want it.

I'm sure the rest was great though.  Oh well.

8 minutes ago, Xekrin said:

Elemental Ward stays as is? are you serious?  Ice is the only useful out of 4 elements to choose from and the range versus duration thing is a complete joke.    Are you afraid if you mention it they will just nerf Ice with any changes they make to the others?  No thanks, if a rework doesn't involve that at the very least, I do not want it.

I'm sure the rest was great though.  Oh well.

Then suggest a change instead of complaining about it. This is a place to discuss ideas. I do discuss later on that toxic needs a desperate change, like near the very bottom. I have also edited the op to reflect this.

Edited by Viedra_Lavinova
edit

13 hours ago, Trichouette said:

I've a better idea for his first ability :

• A 4 in one ability just like vauban/ivara
  • All 4 abilities are the same > Shoot a fireball but each has its element (so... like the augment)
  • Switching it switches chroma's element > no need to have your energy set to a specific color and ruin your fashion frame
  • Switching it will only change chroma's next elemental ward, not the current one
  • Make the damage scale with vex armor's damage boost

I always thought element changing would fit better as a supplement for Elemental Ward. Press to activate and hold to switch. Or the other way round.

I like the idea behind the current Spectral Scream, only the execution is lacking. A lot. It would help a lot if his abilities scaled with Vex Armor and if the range and status chance of SS was increased. Maybe it would make it half decent. And since it's a scream it could stagger nearby enemies on activation. At least then it would justify slow movement.

It would also be nice if Chroma wasn't shoehorned into duration ice builds. The potential is seriously wasted. I have a build for electricity with increased range. It's fun, but not really that effective. Base duration of his 2 and 3 could  be increased to discourage maxed duration builds and give more modding freedom. Vex Armor could also start slowly decaying after the ability is turned off, rather than disappearing completely like it is now. Nidus uses this mechanic, so why wouldn't other frames? 

I'd also like passive Rage. Since receiving damage fuels Chroma's power it could also regenerate some of his energy.

13 hours ago, Xekrin said:

Ice is the only useful out of 4 elements to choose from and the range versus duration thing is a complete joke

I see people always saying ice is the only good one, meanwhile I play electric because I love sending 10x damage back to them <3

(and I like the shield boost for vex armor)

Edited by Trichouette