Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Need help w/ the making of an end game Saryn

PerpetuallyXeno

Question

so, essentially, even after all my researching on this character, I still can't quite find the right secondary for me; the goal for me is to successfully create a saryn build/synergy that'll enable me to use her efficiently in endurance runs, but I really don't know what weapons still work; a lot of the stuff I researched was fairly outdated, I've seen the norm for primaries (torid, mutalist c, etc) but the main question I have is if I should still be using a gas CE hikou prime? it spreads spores incredibly quick, but even with 67% status, I don't seem to be proccing toxin as much as I'd like to; to sum all this up, I made a couple questions

1. is it still among the best options to use a gas CE hikou prime, even though I'm not proccing gas/toxin at all?

2. what are some other good status secondaries that'll synergize w/ saryn just as well?

3. should I be modding for gas damage for saryn every time?

4. ^ if not, what element/elements should I be using? (please include this for the specific weapon; I also want the secondary built to vs corpus, if that helps w/ narrowing down)

5. why is my hikou prime not proccing gas/toxin despite have CE?

6. what primary should I be using with (insert secondary here,) if it even matters? (the reason why I want my secondary to be the status/spore spreading weapon is because I don't want a spore spreading primary)

7. what is, in your opinion, the best/most efficient setup for a saryn player to take to a high round endurance run? (excluding melee builds)

that concludes all my questions; as an additional note, feel free to correct me if I ask any dumb questions/put out any false information; I still don't entirely understand the character, but I feel like I'm learning, and this is just a way for me to feel out the modernized setup for her; with this said, I appreciate any additional information anybody gives to me, as well as the people who took the time to answer my questions; cheers

9 answers to this question

First I just want to make a clarification, I'm a bit confused about acronyms, by CE you mean Concealed Explosives? (I will continue my arguments as if it is, please correct me if I am mistaken = ) )

I would recommend Staticor. You can build incredibly high gas damage and guaranteed proc each shot. It has an AoE that works well with Molt + Spores (or popping them in general) and with innate Radiation it makes endurance a bit easier, making healers/disruptors ineffective. I am currently experimenting with Tysis and Pox as well, to see how well they synergize with her. Gas is important because it gives a toxic cloud, popping spores like crazy (and popping spores with toxic gives you and 25% added damage, as viral, when it explodes).
When you are using Hikou you also proc Slash, Impact and Puncture. The probability of inflictinc Gas is determined of how much damage it has, relative to the other damage types.

To sum it up, Staticor gets the job done (I'm using it atm, but experimenting with other as well) and go high status + high gas damage = ). The higher status, the higher probability of inflicting proc and the higher gas damage the higher chance of the proc being just that.

Edited by (PS4)ExetSM
Typos yo

Just now, (PS4)ExetSM said:

First I just want to make a clarification, I'm a bit confused about acronyms, by CE you mean Concealed Explosives? (I will continue my arguments as if it is, please correct me if I am mistaken = ) )

I would recommend Staticor. You can build incredibly high gas damage and guaranteed proc each shot. It has an AoE that works well with Molt + Spores (or popping them in general) and with innate Radiation it makes endurance a bit easier, making healers/disruptors ineffective. I am currently experimenting with Tysis and Pox as well, to see how well they synergize with her. Gas is important because it gives a toxic cloud, popping spores like crazy (and popping spores with toxic gives you and 25% added damage, as viral, when it explodes).
When you are using Hikou you also proc Slash, Impact and Puncture. The probability of inflictinc Gas is determined of how much damage it has, relative to the other damage types.

To sum it up, Staticor get's the job done (I'm using it atm, but experimenting with other as well) and go high status + high gas damage = ). The higher status, the higher probability of inflicting proc and the higher gas damage the higher chance of the proc being just that.

cheers for coming on over here; my mistake LUL

but anyways, appreciate the reply as well as the advice. just to clarify, I was talking about concealed explosives, yes, as that was the recommended mod if I was even going to consider using hikou prime for spore spreading.

as for the other things you said, I actually never knew that the proc type was dependent on which numbers were greater, so that clears up a lot of frustration I had with trying to get gas hikou to proc lmao

I'll be sure to give staticor a try tho and see how it goes, thankyathankya

4 minutes ago, PerpetuallyXeno said:

1. is it still among the best options to use a gas CE hikou prime, even though I'm not proccing gas/toxin at all?

Probably amongst the best options to spread Spores, yes. If you want to achieve the maximum fire rate, however, the non-Prime Hikou are faster.

7 minutes ago, PerpetuallyXeno said:

2. what are some other good status secondaries that'll synergize w/ saryn just as well?

Rakta Ballistica and Telos AkBolto have a proc that spreads Poison/Gas very efficiently, meaning that you can spread those statuses really quickly (once every, hm, twenty seconds or so) - plus, free energy or health is always nice. Otherwise the Sonicor has a large AoE (meaning it will burst many spores) and has a proc chance (despite the interface telling you it doesn't). Lastly, although I haven't tried it with Saryn, the Atomos can hit several enemies and has a decent proc chance, with the innate fire meaning that you won't get any IPS procs.

11 minutes ago, PerpetuallyXeno said:

3. should I be modding for gas damage for saryn every time?

Gas is quite good because its proc is an AoE poison proc - one single proc will give poison to many enemies, giving you a huge bonus to Miasma.

However, if your weapon already has substantial AoE, you could make the argument that you don't need the additional AoE from gas. With an Ignis, for instance, you could mod for, say, Radiation+Poison (which is good versus Corpus since Poison bypasses shields and Radiation has a good bonus versus their robotics).

14 minutes ago, PerpetuallyXeno said:

5. why is my hikou prime not proccing gas/toxin despite have CE?

The enemies hit by CE can only suffer a Blast proc: CE doesn't carry the damage amount and damage type of your weapon, but is just unmoddable Blast.

Still, I'd expect the enemy you hit to, sometimes, suffer a Gas proc.

16 minutes ago, PerpetuallyXeno said:

6. what primary should I be using with (insert secondary here,) if it even matters? (the reason why I want my secondary to be the status/spore spreading weapon is because I don't want a spore spreading primary)

Hmmm.  I find that my Saryn is loads of fun with any weapon. That said, I generally prefer fast-firing weapons with her. Things like the Burston Prime, Braton Prime, Sybaris series, or the Amprex.

But Saryn will shine with any sort of weapon you equip.

19 minutes ago, PerpetuallyXeno said:

7. what is, in your opinion, the best/most efficient setup for a saryn player to take to a high round endurance run? (excluding melee builds)

My favourite is a balanced Regenerative Molt build (with the usual Spore+Miasma combo) together with single-target primary and secondary, and a long-reaching melee. I don't really specialize in long endurance runs, so I can't advise you on that, but usually I do Sortie survivals without issue.

12 minutes ago, PerpetuallyXeno said:

as for the other things you said, I actually never knew that the proc type was dependent on which numbers were greater, so that clears up a lot of frustration I had with trying to get gas hikou to proc lmao

Yes I can understand that if you had puncture mods on, that it would be frustrating :D
I'll clarify a bit more incase it wasn't clear, if you have 25 puncture, 15 impact and 10 slash damage, you have 50% for puncture, 30% for impact and 20% for slash proc. Of the top of my head I think I have 2.7k gas and 700 radiation damage on my Staticor with 100% status, meaning I have about 80% probability for gas proc = )
There's a damage equation for Spores explosion, and I did some calculation with Sonicor, Ignis, Quanta Vandal and Staticor, which Staticor had highest bonus damage per shot.

6 minutes ago, Dhrekr said:

Rakta Ballistica and Telos AkBolto have a proc that spreads Poison/Gas very efficiently, meaning that you can spread those statuses really quickly (once every, hm, twenty seconds or so) - plus, free energy or health is always nice. Otherwise the Sonicor has a large AoE (meaning it will burst many spores) and has a proc chance (despite the interface telling you it doesn't). Lastly, although I haven't tried it with Saryn, the Atomos can hit several enemies and has a decent proc chance, with the innate fire meaning that you won't get any IPS procs.

I think you mean Telos Boltor, Rakta Ballistica has Viral proc

Edited by (PS4)ExetSM

5 minutes ago, (PS4)ExetSM said:

Yes I can understand that if you had puncture mods on, that it would be frustrating :D
I'll clarify a bit more incase it wasn't clear, if you have 25 puncture, 15 impact and 10 slash damage, you have 50% for puncture, 30% for impact and 20% for slash proc. Of the top of my head I think I have 2.7k gas and 700 radiation damage on my Staticor with 100% status, meaning I have about 80% probability for gas proc = )

yeah, I was running the hikous w/ 211 puncture vs 299 gas and kept wondering why it wasn't proccing when I kept slamming waves of lvl 50s w/ full mags lmao

as an additional question, as I'm not very familiar with how the staticor plays, is the projectile speed sufficient? back when I saw some gameplay on it, it seemed fairly slow, but I'm sure it's just as good as you say it is.

also, should I be taking rad/gas every time vs corpus, or should I switch out rad for something else?

edit: just realized the staticor has innate radiation. oops.

Edited by PerpetuallyXeno

1 minute ago, Dhrekr said:

Probably amongst the best options to spread Spores, yes. If you want to achieve the maximum fire rate, however, the non-Prime Hikou are faster.

Gas is quite good because its proc is an AoE poison proc - one single proc will give poison to many enemies, giving you a huge bonus to Miasma.

However, if your weapon already has substantial AoE, you could make the argument that you don't need the additional AoE from gas. With an Ignis, for instance, you could mod for, say, Radiation+Poison (which is good versus Corpus since Poison bypasses shields and Radiation has a good bonus versus their robotics).

The enemies hit by CE can only suffer a Blast proc: CE doesn't carry the damage amount and damage type of your weapon, but is just unmoddable Blast.

Still, I'd expect the enemy you hit to, sometimes, suffer a Gas proc.

Hmmm.  I find that my Saryn is loads of fun with any weapon. That said, I generally prefer fast-firing weapons with her. Things like the Burston Prime, Braton Prime, Sybaris series, or the Amprex.

But Saryn will shine with any sort of weapon you equip.

My favourite is a balanced Regenerative Molt build (with the usual Spore+Miasma combo) together with single-target primary and secondary, and a long-reaching melee. I don't really specialize in long endurance runs, so I can't advise you on that, but usually I do Sortie survivals without issue.

appreciate your advice as well. saryn honestly really does seem like a frame you just have to experiment with, but I'll be sure to check out some of the weapons you mentioned; like I said, a lot of the guides/videos I watched on her were pretty outdated, so now I'm just trying to figure out what a proper endurance run esque setup would look like

Gas Lanka.

It's a sniper rifle, so it does massive single shot damage.  On top of that, zoomed in, it can red crit.

You pop spores with its gas procs, and you can one-shot everything within spore range.

You just need some way to stay alive while you're aiming down the sights of a weapon that reduces your field of view to a tiny angle.

Edited by polarity

47 minutes ago, PerpetuallyXeno said:

as an additional question, as I'm not very familiar with how the staticor plays, is the projectile speed sufficient? back when I saw some gameplay on it, it seemed fairly slow, but I'm sure it's just as good as you say it is.

It is no problem imo, if you want to go endurance rounds, you need to stay say (under bubble, behind med towers etc.) so you will go Molt + Spores tactic and in that case it is indeed not a problem. Even when you run around, I have never even thought about it, so I do not think it holds you back, compared to, for example, Telos AkBolto

You should check out 2 videos:

@frozenballz Min/Max Saryn Video

Consider his argument of incorporating melee in order to get the most out of all of her abilities (this may strongly depend on your focus school depending on how you prefer to play) and it will also show you what some of the existing bugs for Saryn are.

@Operative_Shift Saryn spores for focus farm