Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Backups.

Miser_able

Question

4 answers to this question

Yes it is very possible to do. I have been backing it up and using it for years. I've changed Hard drives on my laptop, then from there to this desk top, and to a new SSD, and the only thing I ever had to do was make sure it was a current version when I transferred the files around. If you're using steam it is much different than stand-alone but it is still possible to back it up and use it over.

For Stand-alone you just simply need an External Hard Drive, or a big enough Flash drive you will use for Warframe only so as not to lose it.

Here's an example to explain where it is found at for stand-alone client version --> "C:\Users\Alcatraz\AppData\Local\" Just replace where I put my name for reference, to your computer name, and that will take you to the appropriate place, and just simply copy the "Warframe" folder onto your flash drive or EHDD, save a copy of your shortcut and you're done. Just paste that folder right back in that location, your shortcut on your desk top among your other shortcuts and open the launcher up, it'll download a few files for like Direct-X if you're running on a fresh install or different or new computer/hdd and should be playable afterwards.

As for backing up steam, I don't usually play through steam, though I have converted it to steam and it worked fine, and I've even converted it from steam back to stand-alone.

This thread has  the information you seek for anything steam backing up related.

Edited by Alcatraz

In theory, of course, Warframe doesn't save anything locally safe for your Keybindings (though Warframe does cache Maps and Images and Soundfiles), which you could copy too. But I doubt that there is a problem that is not solved by Verifying or Optimizing in the launcher...

Edited by Prime

this is going to depend whether you are using the steam version or the direct client of the game. I had to swap over from one bad HDD to a new SSD and using the steam client I moved my steam files over and just needed to relog and the launcher handled any missing files for me without needing to do a full install. I no longer use the non steam version so cannot tell you if that is the case. 

Never ever verify cache through the steam client just a word of warning as the steam version is not up to date with the actual launcher when the game starts.