Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

FPS drop Harrow update

EroticCakes

Hey everyone,

I have gone ahead and merged a number of threads regarding the recent decrease in overall performance. We have been following these threads closely however we are having a difficult time reproducing this issue internally. So we are hoping that with some more information we may be able to pinpoint the culprit.

First off -- we recommend everyone verify and optimize their download cache via. the Warframe launcher settings. This will ensure that there are no missing or corrupt files that could be causing these issues.

launcher01.png.9c939bf9f4d04e224db01bac9c45e69d.png

• We have seen a number of claims from people who are using Nvidia GPUs. Just to confirm, has anyone tried rolling back their GPU drivers to an earlier version? Do you still experience the same performance drops?
    • If you are using an Nvidia GPU, do you have the Nvidia in-game overlay enabled? Can you try disabling this and let us know if there is any improvement?
    • If you are using an Nvidia GPU, please confirm that your power management mode is set to "prefer maximum performance".

NvidiaPower011.png.390d39264d4f88a9ca1c1312d143634f.png

• Is this issue worse in some areas than in others? Specific tile sets, rooms? Or even when using specific Warframes, weapons? 
  • Do you happen to have anything running in the background while you are playing Warframe? Can you try disabling any background applications for the sake of comparison? That way we can rule out the possibility of this being caused by a third party app.
  • Do you play Warframe in fullscreen / borderless / windowed? Can you try switching from your current resolution to another? So if you play in borderless, try fullscreen and let us know if there is any improvement.

We understand how frustrating this must be and we are doing everything we can to track down the issue. If there is any additional information that anyone could provide then it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by [DE]Dmitri

I thought this was a vsync issue at first, but Warframe has vsync off and I have my gpu drivers set to application controlled.
What happens is the game drops from a smooth 60fps to 30 for maybe a minute or so before jumping back up to 60. It's pretty annoying.

Warframe is the only game on my pc that has this issue. It started with the release of update 21.

Specs:
Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 2.60GHz
12288mb RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M

It doesn't seem to be an issue that occurs immediately, more so a problem that develops over a short period of time. After a couple of missions my frames will start to hang low in the 40 region rather than a solid 60 or above depending on my settings. It's pretty annoying and makes it slightly unplayable at times, restarting resolves the issue temporarily but again the drops will ensue after a short time. I have a skylake intel core 6700k and a GTX 1080 founders edition, it seems to be a problem with nvidia cards which isn't exactly uncommon. Hopefully a solution can be introduced soon! I've only just got back into the game after a little break :c 

@[DE]Dmitri

I've done some testing on my system (MSI 1070) and after playing around with settings the only thing that has fixed the FPS drop over time is to completely stop nVidias Capture Server. Specifically the "nvspcaps64.exe" which is part of the "NVDisplay.ContainerLocalSystem" services as far as I can tell. With these closed/stopped everything runs buttery smooth without issues.

One oddity however is the fact that if I restart the Capture server (by simply starting GeForce experience back up) while having the game running (and the capture server closed when I launched the game) it doesn't seem to cause FPS drops. Maybe there's a hooking issue when launching the game and multiple hooks access the game at the same time? 

I am currently running Steam overlay (hook 1), Overwolf (potential hook 2 (don't see the logo when the game starts so not sure (Teamspeak doesn't show in game))) and GeForce Experience (hook 3). Other than that I have NZXT's CAM Software running, but with in-game display disabled so it shouldn't be hooking the DX at all. Same goes for Discord and Afterburner, running but without overlays enabled.

Other background processes are like normal with various software like browsers, Malwarebytes, Sound suite, browser with various forms of media open in multiple tabs. System processes has remained the same through multiple tests where the only change is shutting down nVidia Capture Server. I have yet to test having it running while launching the game and closing it after the FPS drop occurs though. 

Edit: It also seems to fix the bug where the game does a freeze frame but still runs in the background. Haven't had it happen as long as the Capture Server is disabled at least. Also, posting a screenshot of my current nvidia control panel settings should they be relevant:

KPPwbdd.pnglXgkWxZ.pngdaJsDJu.png

Edited by Halsoy

I am having the freeze frame issues as well, with an NVIDIA EVGA GTX 950. I was fine before the 21.5.0 update, which has caused freeze frame on a majority of missions which occur in the void system, as well as occasional freeze frames in the ship and other non specific missions. I have turned the graphics from max to medium and that has had no noticeable effect on the crashes. i have just changed the NVIDIA power settings to max performance as this thread stated and will edit post with updates on if the issue is or isn't resolved by the fix.

I have also attempted to fix by disabling capture server as Halsoy suggested, however that has not completely resolved the issue and it is still occurring.

EDIT: upon doing my first void mission as a trial run, i am still experiencing freeze frames, this freeze frame occured in front of a rotating death orb, however it was not the first rotating death orb i had encountered. settings are still at stock medium settings.

EDIT 2: updated my NVIDIA settings to be based more for performance over quality and updated graphics from borderless to fullscreen. performed the limbo ultimaetum archwing mission and freeze framed when the mission went to choosing to extract or stay, and as a result i didnt get credit.

Edited by snorlaxzach
add info

I am new to Warframe on PC but am having the issue intermittently.  I have all of my settings to max and the game will be working flawlessly and then freeze.  Even if I ctrl-alt-del to get to the task manager, it will not reset and I have to completely shut down my PC and reboot.  I did notice that I usually freeze when I get around another player using Frost with/without them using Snow Globe.  Here are my PC specs for reference:

My PC Specs:
►X-8 - Xidax X-8 Custom Gaming PC
►Annihilator Case
►Motherboard  X10 - ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME X99
►Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition Overclocked
►DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum - 32GB
►Corsair RM1000 Watt Power Supply
►Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080ti overclocked
►HDD/SSD  Western Digital Black 4TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD
►CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler
►OS  Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit
►Acer Predator XB271HU 27-inch WQHD (2560 x 1440) NVIDIA G-Sync Widescreen Display

I built this rig to play The Division on Full Ultra and it handled it nicely.

@[DE]Dmitri

i switched to DX10 and am still crashing, however this managed to get it to send a bug report off!

I hope this aids in fixing.

number:  WAR-1370939

EDIT:

second one was just recieved, all i did was launch game and go to select mission

Number:*snip*

EDIT2: code recieved was same as previous

Edited by snorlaxzach

On 30/7/2017 at 4:05 AM, Moongrime said:

I have noticed significant frame rate issues recent since an update. They go as low as around 16 FPS. There are many people talking about this issue. I was just hoping DE could make a comment on it, or let us know if something is being done to fix it.

I have a crappy computer that is barely able to run the game (10-25 fps), but I'm noticing improvements performance-wise (although Ceres and Earth are still problematic)

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:30 PM, LtBuzzLitebeer said:

I am new to Warframe on PC but am having the issue intermittently.  I have all of my settings to max and the game will be working flawlessly and then freeze.  Even if I ctrl-alt-del to get to the task manager, it will not reset and I have to completely shut down my PC and reboot.  I did notice that I usually freeze when I get around another player using Frost with/without them using Snow Globe.  Here are my PC specs for reference:

My PC Specs:
►X-8 - Xidax X-8 Custom Gaming PC
►Annihilator Case
►Motherboard  X10 - ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME X99
►Intel Core i7-5960X Extreme Edition Overclocked
►DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum - 32GB
►Corsair RM1000 Watt Power Supply
►Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080ti overclocked
►HDD/SSD  Western Digital Black 4TB - 7200RPM 3.5" HDD
►CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler
►OS  Windows 10 Home Premium 64-Bit
►Acer Predator XB271HU 27-inch WQHD (2560 x 1440) NVIDIA G-Sync Widescreen Display

I built this rig to play The Division on Full Ultra and it handled it nicely.

Since I posted this issue, I have tried rolling back my Nvidia drivers to a previous version and so far, I have had zero crashes since.

I have 2 Issues since Harrow:

(note: I try to down grade my driver when i realize this issue with Nvidia GeForce Experience,but nothing change)

First i was at 118 FPS before harrow in my liset,and in some mission.

But after... 1 minute i have 100 fps, (1minute later) 80 fps (1 minute later) 60 fps ect... until 15 fps.

It's clearly a Memory leak,warframe incorrectly manages memory allocation in such a way that memory which is no longer needed is not released.

After this,i change my option and a translator told me to disable some option,update my driver and pray...

so with his advice i block my FPS to 70 fps because my screen is not a 144 Hz screen,and i can stay in the game with 40-70 fps.

But in Ceres and Earth Sticker risitas guerre explosion nucleaire ww3   Sticker risitas femme lunette game of thrones got daenerys feu explosion

24 fps...

No comment.

My config:

-GeForce 745 GTX (yep 118 fps with that :D)

-Intel Core I5 3.2 Gz 4 core

-Windows 8.1

Edited by Omegapiruxe

• 2 weeks later...

issue briefly got better, now since the hydroid prime update it is 10x worse. im talking 5 minutes into a game worse. i reconnect and get to do a little more, but then it happens again. i keep losing all my bonus exp and items from having to leave and rejoin. just on the dark sector extraction earth mission, no abilities, mesa and a rhino on  team.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn, the same problem! On the ship I have near 150+ FPS and on the mission sometimes it drops to 20 (goddamn Oestrus!). The most interesting thing is that when I played Warframe a year ago on my old Radeon 7850, FPS has never dropped below 35-40 and now when I have Radeon R9380x, which twice as powerful, the BUGFRAME shows me such magnificent results! What's the problem, DE? My PC is : Phenom II X4 965 3,80Ghz, 16Gb RAM, 4Gb Radeon R9380X. One more interesting thing - on the ship my GPU is loaded up to 90% and on the mission, surprise-surprise, just up to 50% and as a consiquence the GPU clock drops from 1040Ghz to a miserable 560-700Mhz How could you explain this, Dear DE? I'm playing this game for 3 years and have never seen such performance troubles from the very beginning.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2017 at 1:54 PM, Betailas said:

Damn, the same problem! On the ship I have near 150+ FPS and on the mission sometimes it drops to 20 (goddamn Oestrus!). The most interesting thing is that when I played Warframe a year ago on my old Radeon 7850, FPS has never dropped below 35-40 and now when I have Radeon R9380x, which twice as powerful, the BUGFRAME shows me such magnificent results! What's the problem, DE? My PC is : Phenom II X4 965 3,80Ghz, 16Gb RAM, 4Gb Radeon R9380X. One more interesting thing - on the ship my GPU is loaded up to 90% and on the mission, surprise-surprise, just up to 50% and as a consiquence the GPU clock drops from 1040Ghz to a miserable 560-700Mhz How could you explain this, Dear DE? I'm playing this game for 3 years and have never seen such performance troubles from the very beginning.

Calme down !

You don't have to be so rude now ! 

Wait for the plains of eidolon update, when we will be at 10 fps, when we will have to wait FOR THE NEXT PRIME ACCESS a semi-fix (15 fps),you will have a good reason to be rude...

I will change my GPU soon,but before harrow,i had no problem...it will probably fix the bug for me...

But you,you have a GPU at 380,36€ xD 

rip.

Edited by Omegapiruxe

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,I found what is the problem 

This is not simple to explain,so sorry for my english...

My PC is fix.

I tag @Betailas because it seems to be the same problem for you,i will explain:

First you have to know some thing:
I have a comptuter 

A GPU can't reach 95°C (203 °F) if she reach it,she will drop the GPU clock,and if she can't go lower more she just shut down.
And that's why Betailas (and me to) have just 560-700Mhz,because warframe transform our GPU in a Toast.

For Example Doom 2016,GTA V , and XCOM 2 don't reach that point ! 
So i will basicly uninstall my drivers and change my graphic card soon,(already try to clean it) because my 745 is old.

I do not think it's normal for a game to heat up a graphics card at this point, and the problem seems to be just at the harrow update ...

But in doubt,this is not entirely the DX fault,i will Re-Clean my computer,i will give some news soon.

But if you have a Portable computer.

Good luck. Have Fun.