Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydroid Rework and Deluxe Skin

LOD07

·       So basically, we have a Problem. At Tennocon the next upcoming Prime Access got revealed. It is going to be Hydroid Prime. 

I don´t have a Problem with him. I just think that compared to other frames his abilities don´t shine as good as others.

Therefore, I made up my mind and tried to think of new abilities for him. The stats aren´t important. I just want to share my thoughts and want to know what you think of it. Or maybe you have even better ideas for or pirate Frame. All numbers are for a rank 30 Hydroid.

Passive: 

Has a 50% to drown an enemy that gets knockdown by Hydroid or his equipped weapons.

1. Undertow

It pretty much stays the same as his old Undertow ability. The Change is, that it doesn´t only deal a fixed damage number and that ou cast the ability on the ground while you are still able to move around. It will deal a bonus damage based on the average health and shield caught in this puddle. The range will increase to 10 meters and is affected by range mods. It has a 40% Chance to drown an enemy that fell inside of his lake. This Chance will increase over time for each individual enemy. The Energy cost will be 50 and is affected by Efficiency and Duration mods. 

2. Argh!

This lets the enemies feel the strength of Hydroid and his mates. Enemies in the range of 10 meters will receive 20% more damage for 5 seconds. Affected by power strength, Duration Efficiency and range mods. It has a 2 Second cooldown after it the effect Ends. Energy cost will be 40. Enemies inside the range will also receive a fear effect what will cause them to flea away from Hydroid. Killed enemies who are affected by that effect will increase the received damage for all the other effected enemies by 2%. Cap is at 100%

Casting the ability on a puddle will increase Hydroids shields and health by 20% for 5 seconds. Not affected by any mods.

3. Soul Cannon

Has four different modes. Casting them will cost 10 energy. Is affected by strength, and range mods. Changing one mode to the other will be the same as Ivara´s first ability. 

Shoots out cannonballs in arch of 90 degrees in front of hydroid to punish his enemies.

I. Chain balls (costs 10 energy for 1 burst of 5 balls)

Have a 50% Chance to knockdown enemies. Deals 600 Damage per ball. 

II. Cannonballs (costs 10 energy for 1 burst of 7 balls)

Have a 50% Chance to punch trough (not affected by power strength) and to disarm hit enemies (50%, affected by power strength).                                                                                   Deals 400 Damage per hit.

III. Splintered slugs (costs 10 energy for 1 burst of 50 tiny fragments)

Have a 50% Chance to deal a slash proc and blind enemies. Deals 20 Damage per Fragment.

IV. Fire shot (costs 10 energy for 1 burst of 10 shots)

Have a 50% Chance to proc fire on enemies hit and to cause them to fear. A fear proc will cause the enemies to run away from Hydroid.                                                                           Deals 800 Damage per shot. 

Casting this ability while on a puddle, the energy costs for a burst are reduced to 5 earned souls per burst. 

4. Tentacle Swarm

this ability pretty much stays the same. Hydroid points at one point on the ground. There the sea monster will appear with 25 tentacles who are looking for enemies. They will grab them and pull them towards the middle of the casted ability. There they will be fixed to the ground (counts as a knockdown) and receive 100 per second for the duration of the ability. The sea minsters lasts for 30 seconds. Is affected by duration, efficiency and power strength mods. On enemies death there is a 50% Chance to drop additional loot. 

Casting this ability on a puddle will higher the drop Chance to 70% and increases the tick damage to 250 per second. 

Tentacles who killed their grabbed enemy will look for another one and won´t disappear. 

(Soul System:

For each enemy drown by Hydroid or his weapons (by causing a knockdown), Hydroid will receive one Soul to his Soul Counter. 

Gaining 2 souls will give the squad 10 energy back (affinity range)

Loosing/ Spending 30 souls will give the squad a damage buff of 50% additional damage for 5 seconds. Has a 2 second cooldown after the effect is over.)

Soul System is left out but still here just in case i need it again. 

However Hydroid still drowns enemies and he and his allies (ability range) will receive a energy regen of 5 energy per second for 10 seconds. 

This is stackable and has a cap at 20 per second. Not affected by any mods. 

Augments:

Curative Undertow:

Does the same exact thing as it did before.

Tidal Impunity:

Does the same exact thing for all allies and yourself after casting Argh!

Corroding Barrage:

Does the same thing for every projectile of Soul Cannon

Pilfering Swarm:

While active, it increases the Chance of drowning people after a knockdown from 50% to 80%. 

So let´s discuss rather that idea is good, bad or improvable.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading.  

so i adjusted the revisited abilities of Hydroid to match them with the ideas of the other community members. 

credit towards:

TOMPLEXTHIS

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/818663-de-please-hear-me-on-this-hydroid-idea/

for his awesome idea of the synergy between the abilities focusing on undertow

I also thought about a Deluxe skin for Hydroid. Let me know what you think about it422C12991B1F6D886BDBD7DC72DBB8E3C7BF18E3 

Edited by LOD07
easier to understand for new members in this discussion

I honestly think that his undertow should be a ranged cast move, rather than putting Hydroid out of combat just to CC enemies. He should be able to just cast undetow and place a 'puddle' on the ground to CC enemies.

I also feel that his tentacle swarm just isnt a good ability. It has the same problems as Zephyr's Tornadoes. They are a very good hard CC ability but it makes it very hard to kill the enemies that its CC'ing. I would much rather have a new ability rather than using this mediocre CC ability. I'm not sure what to switch it out with, but I just know that ability just doesnt work very well.

1 minute ago, lioganda said:

I honestly think that his undertow should be a ranged cast move, rather than putting Hydroid out of combat just to CC enemies. He should be able to just cast undetow and place a 'puddle' on the ground to CC enemies.

I also feel that his tentacle swarm just isnt a good ability. It has the same problems as Zephyr's Tornadoes. They are a very good hard CC ability but it makes it very hard to kill the enemies that its CC'ing. I would much rather have a new ability rather than using this mediocre CC ability. I'm not sure what to switch it out with, but I just know that ability just doesnt work very well.

I truly understand you. I didn´t thought about casting Undertwo somewhere else. This would be great. Because Warframe is a fast game and you just can´t wait 5 minutes underneath the map and hope to get some kills. Understood. 

However I tried to make the forth ability a Little bit better so that the tentacles aren´t clapping around like a fish on land. No I meant that the Tentacle pulls that enemy to the ground and then stays still. So you are able to shoot at it. 

Hydroid Prime is not a problem, but the rework might be...

If its a rework and not introducing new abilities, we should look at what the abilities already did and work with them. Maybe give it synergy similar to Oberon.

The soul system is a bit much, making a bit too undead piratey...

1: Is designed to knockdown enemies where you cast, great for when you need to revive teammates.

2: Is essentially a wave that knocks down and slashes enemies, high duration and range makes it so Hydroid becomes THE FASTEST frame. Seriously try it out. Other than teleportation, this is the fastest.

3: Is invulnerable CC, though it is a bit bland since you are left waiting.

4: The armour ignoring damage dealer keeps the enemy under attack permanently obsolete. Unless it survives, then it will get back up.

Tempest barrage is said to be like combining rain and cannon fire. Could be reworked to separate the two - have torrential rain, with cannon fire within. So the rain will slow down the enemies in the radius (or with the wet floor make them trip like vaubans tripwire), while cannon fire deals damage and knocks them down. 2in1.

Tidal surge is good for mobility and being untouchable, as well as moving people out of the way (if they ever used it). What if this spawned tentacles in its wake?

As Iioganda stated, Undertow should be a ranged cast move, this allows the frame to continue to move around. Since nothing affects the drowned enemies, what if ability 1 could damage the ones drowned under? Making Hydroid a bit more king of the ocean, "he traps his prey and begins tormenting them".

Tentacle swarm... maybe integrate it into his other abilities so there are tentacles everywhere spawned by the other abilities. Then change this one ability entirely... He summons Leviathan. Gravity shifts, storms erupt...

Edited by INight00

To INight00. 

I am Aware of his abilities and how they work. I think you are right in the Point that it might be better to just make the abilities synergize with each other. Thats acutally what I tried to accomplish with my rework. However it is like you said. More a undead pirate then the King of the ocean. 

So i don´t really know how his excisting abilities right now can synergize together. 

I do like the idea of replacing the tidal wave with a better ranged offensive like those cannons but I cant say I like the soul system , like he said before that may be  a bit too much, may something like Ivara's  first ability but more for offence than her strategic  playstyle, they could make them have a cool down or reload timer so its not super spamy, as far as I would think it would only have to reload the individual shot not the entire ability so you can still use it while one of them is un-usable.

seeing as how the old weaponry like cannons do generally take a good time to reload it would fit pretty well as far as theme goes. just a thought though.