Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is it better with friends?

JamJimJammy

Question

So, I have the choice of playing on PC or Xbox One.

I much prefer the control scheme on the PC and find navigating menus using a controller to be quite clunky, however on PC I would be spending most the time playing the game alone or with strangers, learning the whole game on my own. Its also my main platform and I turn to it first when I want to play video games, the Xbox being an after thought.

Although, if I played on console, I could play with my friends who have both played this game for a while and know a lot about it, with around 700 hours played and 1400 hours played from them.  They could help me starting off, could provide me with things that would help my experience and then if I eventually got towards more end-game content I knew I would have people to enjoy it with. They also said they would help me, or give me, my first prime.

I'm at similar points in both the games, too, so I wouldn't have to catch up very much.

What do you think sounds like the better option and what would you go with?

Edited by JamJimJammy
Grammar

4 answers to this question

that's an hard question

consoles is always 1-2 months back in update schedule, but you have friends there...

by one way or another, you can't bring your stuff from console to PC or (with one exception, until now) from PC to console

Hey there soon-to-be Tenno!

I am solely playing on the PC platform, so I dont have much insight on the console community, but either way, here are some thoughts (as there is no definitive answer).

// EDIT: For reference I have played around 1850h of Warframe via Steam and are at mastery rank 21

1. Learning to play

I can't stress enough how important the first impression in games like WF is.. I for me, I started playing with friends that had never played warframe either, so the impression was all confusing but at the same time rewarding when I found new tricks. And it's amazing too see how vast you can customize yourself and how you defeat enemies. If your friends have already been playing warframe for a while, they will most likely be at the stage where just doing things mindlessly won't cut it, sorties and other lategame content isn't exactly easy or fun when you are just starting out, so most people need to find solutions, which results in this game having a very solid and not even too narrow meta. But there's just certain frames and weapons that give you serious advantages in certain missions. So make sure your friends dont spoil it for you by dragging you through extreme hard content when you aren't remotely ready to face that kind of enemies/missions.

TL;DR: Enjoy the learning curve without getting carried too much if you can = more fun in lategame.

2. Friends or "Friends"?

Really this game can be a lot of fun with friends, but i also made good experience with various clans I joined where I didn't know a single person. So at least for PC platform, I can say that if you dont have anyone to play with you might run into people that you befriend (Oddly enough I made most of my russian friends via WF ^^). But really, if you know you'll be enjoying the time with your friends and aren't too comfortable around strangers maybe just stick with console then.

TL;DR: Yes the game CAN be better with friends, but the community isn't too bad.

3. PC > Consoles?

NO this ain't a "PC MASTER RACE" kind of section. All I want to say is, PC does have the edge here and there (graphics, controls, community size, etc) but the console platform is just as viable, If you already tried out how you feel about both control schemes, then make sure either one isn't going to be a problem after a while, warframe can be a game where you sink endless hours into farming certain parts or hunting rare enemies (ask your friends) BUT ultimately it isn't an idle game, so if the controls weird you out, you might not want to spend hundreds of hours.

Also one of the major advantage for PC are the updates, hotfixes and patches are released a lot quicker and deployed easier, so if you want to get your hands on all the nice upcoming stuff ASAP then most of the time PC will have it far ahead of consoles.

TL;DR: PC gets updates early and is generally a bigger platform, but not mandatory if you want to have a good time.

4. Bonus

Basically both platforms are free to play, so in the end, you can always decide to have your "main" account on PC and have a second account where you can play with your friends on the XBOX. You might not be able to keep up with both accounts, but you can then still decide to stop playing one of them.

TL;DR: Free To Play means Free To Test & Find out ( 50h testing a platform means virtually nothing if you hit the thousand+ someday)

Hope this helped you in a way, sorry for not providing a clear answer, but I think I am too biased to even objectively answer anyway :D

Best of luck and enjoy, JamJim ;)

Edited by Cerbion
added TL;DR's

1 hour ago, JamJimJammy said:

So, I have the choice of playing on PC or Xbox One.

I much prefer the control scheme on the PC and find navigating menus using a controller to be quite clunky, however on PC I would be spending most the time playing the game alone or with strangers, learning the whole game on my own. Its also my main platform and I turn to it first when I want to play video games, the Xbox being an after thought.

Although, if I played on console, I could play with my friends who have both played this game for a while and know a lot about it, with around 700 hours played and 1400 hours played from them.  They could help me starting off, could provide me with things that would help my experience and then if I eventually got towards more end-game content I knew I would have people to enjoy it with. They also said they would help me, or give me, my first prime.

I'm at similar points in both the games, too, so I wouldn't have to catch up very much.

What do you think sounds like the better option and what would you go with?

It really depends on how you roll normally, videogame-wise.

From your statements, I'd suggest going with Xbone.

You'll gain a lot more out of Warframe, when in a group. Especially one that's formed by people you know.