The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question For The F2P'ers, From A Grandmaster

LeucienWeaver

While DE could probably get them...Why would they? That's precious time that could go towards debugging the game, writing code for new content, or other things. Sure, there's a group of community moderators, but they have their hands full with us as it is.

Why do people think that the one set of people working in DE all work on the same thing?

Their internet/hacking team pretty sure has nothing to do with the coding team.

And yes, I saw the rage, but I didn't join in, nor protest, for one reason. I knew that DE would make it work. Nova fits the explosive nature of the frame now, and all of her powers turned out alright. Still some bugs in 'em, but alright.

That doesnt change the fact that there was a needless amount of postings about some pieces of info.

But none of those things really encourage people to actually buy anything when steam doesn't have a summer sale, or buy anything other than slots and potatoes from the shop period because everything is over priced.

When 50% off or more is the only reasonable way to get people to buy your plat, you have issues with your shop and the solution isn't trying to shoehorn in more forma sinks and obvious resource cash grabs. If they were doing "what they can for people" then we'd already have seen some pricing changes for the better, instead of having many good easily purchasable guns being set to BP only, to further alienate new players and the BPs made harder to farm for.

How do you know a sale is the only reasonable way to get people to buy plat?

If the game was doing so bad it wouldn't be at the spot it is now.

The "flipout" was largely because people made votes based on "explosions sound cool" and "Hey a teleport move? LIKE IN THAT GAME PORTAL RIGHT?" then the video got leaked and a lot of people chilled out about it because DE managed to salvage the ideas into something pretty interesting if a bit in need of some balance tweaks.

No, the flipout was about every single bit of info that was released. I know because i was in those discussions.

DE_Steve has said more than once that they're "barely making profit" which could mean a lot of things, or maybe he was just bullS#&$ting. But still, if this is true then maybe they should look into some alternatives.

I'm sure DE is going to make some changes to Warframe from a business model perspective, and that's why people should be careful right now. This game is not finished, and right now people need to realize that they're taking a risk by putting money into something that isn't done. It's the same concept as backing a game on Kickstarter that might not turn out the way it was supposed to. It's just a risk one takes when funding something that isn't complete, especially something that is always changing like a video game.

But anyway, yes, I agree with you. They should be looking into alternatives. And ya know, they may be doing that tomorrow morning when they get into the office. Who knows? I'm sure they'll make changes as they need to be made, I don't think DE is as dense as some people would like to believe they are.

NalkorRN, on 18 Jul 2013 - 10:54 PM, said:

The design council shouldn't exist. Seriously, the ideas I see brought up when someone mentions what they say make me want to gag. Tell me how a worm hole for a team teleport power has anything to do with Anti-Matter.

There's a problem though, NalkoRN... We can't remove it, now that it's there. Now, the way you say that it makes it seem like you've got some issues regarding what was voted on. Tell me how an ability like Absorb fits with Nyx, a psychic frame? Or why Volt has Speed, when it would make more sense on Ash, who is meant to be a speedy and stealthy frame?

Not all powers fit their themes to a T. I'd like to think of Nova(Or Cerna since you might be one of the people who would prefer her to be called that) is less of an 'Antimatter/Matter' frame and more of a 'physics' frame. Does everyone share in that belief? No. Should they be burned at the stake or warrant repulsion from me for not doing so? Equally, no.

That... That's actually a nice idea. +1 to you for making me see it from another angle. If we had it behind a mastery rank(And not low, like 2-3), to where those that really, REALLY worked at the game and have easily 80+ hours of combat time under their belt, then the additions to the voting potential would have realistic ideas on what would work or not... But there's a problem. It might be time consuming to code an in game reflection of mastery, for one... And what about those that don't bother with Mastery? Your players running lv 30 items with over 10m exp on them? Shouldn't they have a say for much the same reason?

I'm not shaming your idea, i'm asking if there'd be a potential solution to such a problem.

Instead of linking it to Mastery, Link it to game time. DE's game time on your profile only applies to time spent in a mission, so it would be a relatively accurate way of limiting votes to accounts that matter.

That being said, there is the issue of people just making a tonne of accounts and clocking x hours each on them, so I suppose just make it for Mastery Level 2 or 3 and with 10-20 hours of game time for the account.

DE_Steve has said more than once that they're "barely making profit" which could mean a lot of things, or maybe he was just bullS#&$ting. But still, if this is true then maybe they should look into some alternatives.

I'd be happy to spend money on plat and buy things if the prices weren't @(*()$ insane. In order to buy a warframe like Vauban/Nova on the marketplace, I have to spend around $20. That's a few days worth of groceries for me if I decide to eat light for those few days.

DE would probly learn from this. You cannot sell power, It's just $&*&*#(%&. 

Just like how they learned from that 10k viewed thread of how the marketprice is ridiculously overpriced.

They learned so well they added resources and credits in too!

Mak_Gohae, on 18 Jul 2013 - 10:55 PM, said:

Why do people think that the one set of people working in DE all work on the same thing?

Their internet/hacking team pretty sure has nothing to do with the coding team.

That doesnt change the fact that there was a needless amount of postings about some pieces of info.

I never once said it was a singular team working on the game. Graphics, sound, code, animation/motion, plot, creative design, community, tech support, etc. I'm aware that each has their own group. I'm saying that the community managers have a hard time with their few numbers policing us on the forums as it is, and sending their anti-hack team to track down a handful of people sharing information seems counterproductive.

There's a problem though, NalkoRN... We can't remove it, now that it's there. Now, the way you say that it makes it seem like you've got some issues regarding what was voted on. Tell me how an ability like Absorb fits with Nyx, a psychic frame? Or why Volt has Speed, when it would make more sense on Ash, who is meant to be a speedy and stealthy frame?

Not all powers fit their themes to a T. I'd like to think of Nova(Or Cerna since you might be one of the people who would prefer her to be called that) is less of an 'Antimatter/Matter' frame and more of a 'physics' frame. Does everyone share in that belief? No. Should they be burned at the stake or warrant repulsion from me for not doing so? Equally, no.

Well to be fair, they could remove it when (if ever) they decide to release the game and end beta. But that's likely to be far off.

Volt having speed makes enough sense as it's all lightning speed, kinda like the Flash or whatever. Nyx being psychic is her throwing up a powerful telekinetic barrier that absorbs all the damage hitting it, and she uses telepathy to direct the shockwave against those who tried to attack her.

Cerna is a dumb name, I'd prefer something more in line with what Antimatter actually is, but NCSoft has the name Positron Copyrighted even though City of Heroes/Villains is dead and they have no intention on doing anything with the franchise ever, and I made a character on the Virtue server named Anti-Proton (Positron is what you call a positively-charged Electron, Anti-Proton is what you call a negatively-charged Proton, Anti-Matter is just those two base components of an atom with reversed polarities) and any character made on those servers belonged to NCSoft.

I.... don't remember ANY council members withholding Nova info... I think we told everyone about that on a daily basis...

Indeed, Arlayn. I among them shared when and where I could, because I knew that there might be a hidden gem idea laying in wait from a friend or clan mate. According to some people though, this means Dev Council should be abolished, as spoilers ruin the game.

Just like how they learned from that 10k viewed thread of how the marketprice is ridiculously overpriced.

They learned so well they added resources and credits in too!

Did you know based off conversion rates that a Potato would cost 6,666 credits? 30,000 credits for 90 Platinum and basic division is how I figured that out.

I never once said it was a singular team working on the game. Graphics, sound, code, animation/motion, plot, creative design, community, tech support, etc. I'm aware that each has their own group. I'm saying that the community managers have a hard time with their few numbers policing us on the forums as it is, and sending their anti-hack team to track down a handful of people sharing information seems counterproductive.

Sorry but this sounds a lot like you are saying that going for leaks will affect other areas

While DE could probably get them...Why would they? That's precious time that could go towards debugging the game, writing code for new content, or other things. Sure, there's a group of community moderators, but they have their hands full with us as it is.

And we dont know if it's counter productive or not.

We dont know their view on this.

Volt having speed makes enough sense as it's all lightning speed, kinda like the Flash or whatever. Nyx being psychic is her throwing up a powerful telekinetic barrier that absorbs all the damage hitting it, and she uses telepathy to direct the shockwave against those who tried to attack her.

Cerna is a dumb name, I'd prefer something more in line with what Antimatter actually is, but NCSoft has the name Positron Copyrighted even though City of Heroes/Villains is dead and they have no intention on doing anything with the franchise ever, and I made a character on the Virtue server named Anti-Proton (Positron is what you call a positively-charged Electron, Anti-Proton is what you call a negatively-charged Proton, Anti-Matter is just those two base components of an atom with reversed polarities) and any character made on those servers belonged to NCSoft.

And when messing with Antimatter in large quantities can sometimes yield unexpected results, as we haven't been able to create enough to study it, while still being stable and long lasting. What's not to say that it doesn't allow for tears in space akin to a black hole if the explosion is inverted into an implosion?

And I said Cerna because it was based on Cern, which if you're as well versed as you've shown thus far you'd understand. They wanted the name to be feminine, which fits the physical theme of the warframe. Hence the A added to Cern. I'm well aware of what comprises antimatter, as I did a little research myself, and i'm honestly fine with what they've done.

Yes, we do. From a business perspective it is much better for them to forge ahead with their game than to spend resources stopping segmented information from getting leaked to the general public.

It's actually pretty likely that DE counts on the Design Council to leak information. Think of it like a soft flow of info to the general public, instead of a directed stream of info. It builds excitement and hype, when done right. Whether at this point it's done right or not is irrelevant, but stemming the flow of information is a difficult and expensive effort for little to no gain. All that time and energy spent stopping the flow leads to what? Someone somewhere has to slack off on what they were doing before, unless DE employs another group of people to stop leaks. Which is silly.

Edited by Azure_Kyte

And when messing with Antimatter in large quantities can sometimes yield unexpected results, as we haven't been able to create enough to study it, while still being stable and long lasting. What's not to say that it doesn't allow for tears in space akin to a black hole if the explosion is inverted into an implosion?

And I said Cerna because it was based on Cern, which if you're as well versed as you've shown thus far you'd understand. They wanted the name to be feminine, which fits the physical theme of the warframe. Hence the A added to Cern. I'm well aware of what comprises antimatter, as I did a little research myself, and i'm honestly fine with what they've done.

You know, I honestly never understood how adding an 'A' at the end of a name suddenly turns a name into a feminine one.

I mean yeah, Rhino to Rhinoa brings back way too many awful memories from Final Fantasy VIII (name's super similar), but still.

Sorry but this sounds a lot like you are saying that going for leaks will affect other areas

Other areas? No. Risk letting a real threat to the game. Hackers, while a miniscule threat, are still a threat. But you yourself said hacking team, which means you'd like to have people who make anti-cheat engines track down everyone i've ever shared info to, and not only kick me from Dev Council, but them as well. You're starting to make me think that you're being facetious for the sake of starting arguments.

Indeed, Arlayn. I among them shared when and where I could, because I knew that there might be a hidden gem idea laying in wait from a friend or clan mate. According to some people though, this means Dev Council should be abolished, as spoilers ruin the game.

no I mean EVERYONE was talking about it on the forums every detail, every update. There wasn't a holding back on it, and DE was ok with it.

You know, I honestly never understood how adding an 'A' at the end of a name suddenly turns a name into a feminine one.

I mean yeah, Rhino to Rhinoa brings back way too many awful memories from Final Fantasy VIII (name's super similar), but still.

The way it sounds, for one. Robert, vs Roberta, Andrew vs Andrea (Not exact but same idea), etc. Cern doesn't sound exactly feminine, it sounds androgynous, like a fair bit of other warframe names.

Don't Argue with Mak_Gohae

He is repetitive, and will always thinks he has a point.

It's like playing chess with a pigeon, you can win, but it will still S#&$ on the board and knock over all the pieces.

I caught on shortly after he started attacking wherever he could find an argumentative point, and i'm just not going to bother responding. I want to stay as constructive and positive as I can. ^^